911 or not?

911 or not?

This is a discussion on 911 or not? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I was reading the one about the loud car and it got me to thinking from some of those posts: should you or should ...

Thread: 911 or not?

911 or not?

Ok, I was reading the one about the loud car and it got me to thinking from some of those posts: should you or should you not call 911 to contact the police if you have something like that going on? As far as I go I don't even know if the local PD answers the other phone numbers at night. I have called for a disturbance, and the PD responded (about 2 minutes to late, but they came). Just wondering what anyone else knows / thinks on the subject.

I guess I'm missing what the real question is. If in doubt.... "ask them". Call 911 and let them know, I'm not sure if you are the ones to contact on this.... but. ....

VIP Member
    Public disturbance, non emergency I'd use regular PD phone number. At least if something happens it is on record you called.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    If in doubt make the call any way. We as hard as we try with community policing and proactive patrols we can't be everywhere at once so we rely on the community to let us know whats going on when we are not their. So make the call and have it checked out

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Public disturbance, non emergency I'd use regular PD phone number. At least if something happens it is on record you called.
    +1

I has in situation 2 weeks ago when I was opening a shop. Kid with a hood pulled over his face (summer time) walked off the side walk and cut accross in front of the shop as I was opening (my back toward the kid). I stopped, quickly turned around, and tried to make eye contact. I did not draw, but it was one of those ?!? situations. The kid avoided making eye contact. Not sure if it was a possible, maybe I'll jump him, or if it was just a stupid kid cutting accross the business property to get to his house.

For the reason stated above I called.

Administrator
    How does the slogan go? Oh yeah, thats it...911 for Emergency...

911 is not for annoyances.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I am guessing this depends where you live. Down here you have your regular 911 and the Non-Emergency line for those disturbances cases. I know that Non-Emergency can switch to 911 in a split second if they determine that the call indeed requires more urgent care.
    About a year or so ago we had a drunk guest who insisted of driving her vehicle. We cajoled, begged and offered a free night stay but she refused, got in her car and left. I called Non-Emergency and explained the situation, when the operator heard that the very very drunk female was on the road (She left the hotel weaving like crazy and almost hitting several vehicles), I was immediately transfered to 911.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    How does the slogan go? Oh yeah, thats it...911 for Emergency...
    911 is not for annoyances.
    You mean I can't call 911 to get tomorrow's weather?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    You mean I can't call 911 to get tomorrow's weather?
    No, but you can call 911 24/7 to book a room!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I think it probably depends from one place to another...some places have different numbers for emergency/non-emergency calls.

Where I live, you call 911 for any issue that requires any type of officer response (anything from a loud party to a gunfight). All the emergency services use a central dispatch center and the operator will dispatch the appropriate personell (fire, police, EMS, animal-control, sheriff's dept. or Hwy. patrol)
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Administrator
    If you could or should are two different things. There are only so many 911 lines, why tie one up with something trivial, or because you are to lazy to look up the non emergency number?
    "Just blame Sixto"

This is part of the reason a lot of places are getting 3-1-1 now. Where I worked (and it looks like I am going back for a while) we instructed callers that 9-1-1 was for life threatening emergencies only.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Sponsored Links