Shooting out of pocket

Shooting out of pocket

This is a discussion on Shooting out of pocket within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In particular if the BG approaches you with a gun already drawn, there isn't much time (if any) to draw your own weapon. Even if ...

Thread: Shooting out of pocket

Shooting out of pocket

In particular if the BG approaches you with a gun already drawn, there isn't much time (if any) to draw your own weapon. Even if you are well trained, pulling a gun and aiming it will take longer then just pulling the trigger.

So one option I am thinking about: Don't draw. If you carry a snubnose in a coat pocket or even in your cargo pants pocket, is it realistic to shoot without drawing as you reach in to "get your wallet"?

Will it result in burns? Will the weapon likely jam and make follow up shots impossible? Aiming is tricky of course and its something you can't try on the range. But I was wondering if its a realistic tactic for the scenario described above.

Similar: you carry a semi-automatic in an IWB holster with tucked in shirt. What about drawing and shooting with the gun still covered by the shirt?
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

be basicly be offhand unsighted shooting - some people are very skilled at those shots. a semi might get caught up in the fabric, a revolver without a hooked hammer would be the least likely to malfunction wrapped in fabric
    "An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

I can imagine shooting from a coat pocket with a snub nosed revolver, and you will get some posts here that say they have done it without any problem. The burns on my hand would be the least of my worries in that situation.

I am not sure a small semiauto would be very effective after the first shot.

From the pants pocket, I would strongly advise against, but that is my take.

As far as an iwb, or owb carried around your midsection, you might as well get it outside of your clothing while shooting. The shirt could very well jam the gun and it isn't going to be any more of a surprise for the fraction of a second it takes to clear the clothing.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I've HEARD it is possible to flame a synthetic wind breaker jacket doing this ... I personally doubt it.

Hammerless revolver for sure and I suspect in a loose jacket pocket many of the semi's would work too...get a cheap one from goodwill and try it :)

Get a good class (or good written instruction+practice) including shooting from low retention positions. This is point shooting at its most extreme but surprisingly effective inside 6ft or so and not hard to accomplish WITH instruction or good written guidance and practice.

I personally consider the low (and high) retention position to be one of the two most important defensive shooting positions to master.
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

I wouldn't see too many issues shooting from a coat pocket with a snubnose revolver at very close range. It is essentially all about survival, and we must do whatever is necessary to do so. Practicing these scenarios however might not be cost effective. As stated previously...burns would be the worst of my worries if the situation ever arose. You alone are the best tactical engineer on the scene at the time....shoot to live.

i actually tried it this past spring. i bought a new winter coat; the old one was ratty and dingy, and the lady was after me to throw it out. i got the bright idea to try some pocket shooting. i shot my P3AT and my buddies .38 taurus snubbie. i had no problems with either, but feathery down was everywhere.

Burns or a wasted coat are minor issues in this case. As others have state, survival is the main goal. The only problem with the burn would be that it would prevent a second shot if its too bad. And thanks a lot jahwarrior for actually trying it ;-). Maybe one of these days I will get around to. I do have a shrouded hammer S&W 642 which I sometimes pocket carry. In my pants, the pockets are too tight and I can't point it "up". But in a rain coat or so I should be able to point it.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

This post is like a Thanis lure.

While it sounds sinister, this is the #1 reason I will be buying a light weight, shrouded, j-frame , s&w (not sure .38 or .357) in the next few weeks. I am sure so many are tired of reading me write that. I am considering breaking a rule, and carrying it in the front coat pocket without a holster (just a thought).

#2 is how easy it will be to pocket carry (in a holster).

I have been told it does cause some burns to the coat, but not really the hands.

I may hear an intruder enter my house or see an intruder in my house when I come home. I have options and a plan. For some reason, my #1 SD worry situation is walking in the winter (wife loves to do this). I'm letting a potential threat get close. It gets dark early, and it is going to be great having something so accessable while walking and someone is walking toward me & the wife on a path.

I plan on practicing shooting with pistol in coat pocket.

most semi autos will jam if anything obstructs slide operation,even a slight impediment can cause it to short cycle,but in a life or death i'd shoot draw it and rack the action to clear the jam then proceed as necessary,as far as a revolver should pump as long as you pull the trigger,i think that's why they make so many hammerless models,it's the only thing to snag,in a pants pocket might require a partial draw to be able to cant the barrel high enough and miss the "twins"
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

In my cpl class they showed a video of a guy doing this in a sort of polyester/vinyl coat. The first shot burned the coat enough for him to push his hand through the coat and continue firing.

I'd probably only consider it with an internal hammer revolver.
    OD G19 || G26 || OD KT P3AT

Of course there is always the option of a pass through coat pocket.

.....Like Clint Eastwood in "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly." He had his hand in his jacket pocket, but on his gun the whole time...drew and fired from within his coat. I don't know how practical it would be but it looked cool in the movie.
    Kimber Pro CDP II

"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." St. Augustine A.D. 354-430

I tried it with my 442 and an old jacket I was throwing away. It's basically like shooting from retention and at close distances it's accurate enough. It got a little warm in the pocket but didn't actually burn. After the first shot, the barrel went through the hole in the fabric. Followup shots were fine. The jacket really didn't even look that bad afterwards.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by riverkeeper View Post
    ...get a cheap one from Goodwill and try it :) ...
    Oh. A jacket.

Administrator
    I've tried it, it works...Not sure I would want to do it with an auto, but with a J frame, it works well.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The instructor I had for my denfensive handgun classes taught this during his "winter carry" class. He has you bring in some old coat from SA or something and you destroy it on the range.

Sponsored Links