Armed guard at the public library?

This is a discussion on Armed guard at the public library? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in a suburb of Phoenix in a relative new city. I go to the library a lot to get books for my three ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Armed guard at the public library?

I live in a suburb of Phoenix in a relative new city.

I go to the library a lot to get books for my three toddlers. I've noticed that there's a sign at the door saying there's no weapons allowed. However, there's an armed guard sitting right by the entrance most days.

Now I'm wondering what the guard is supposed to do if a BG just walks in and pulls a gun? It seems to me that he's a sitting duck - in fact he is sitting at a desk most of the time.

Also, I've read that the State Constitution of Arizona states that if a public building prohibits guns, that they provide a place to store the gun in the form of locked storage which our city does not. So I CC anywhere I want.

Seriously, just who's idea of security was this???
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

At least he's armed. The worst is when they tell you that you can't have a gun and there is a 70 year old Grandpa with a flashlight guarding everyone. ...sigh... They just don't get it.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Here we can carry in a library,which reminds me i need to get a library card
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Bando View Post
    70 year old Grandpa with a flashlight guarding everyone.
    I feel better already
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by chuckE View Post

I go to the library a lot to get books for my three toddlers. I've noticed that there's a sign at the door saying there's no weapons allowed. However, there's an armed guard sitting right by the entrance most days.

Now I'm wondering what the guard is supposed to do if a BG just walks in and pulls a gun? It seems to me that he's a sitting duck - in fact he is sitting at a desk most of the time.

Also, I've read that the State Constitution of Arizona states that if a public building prohibits guns, that they provide a place to store the gun in the form of locked storage which our city does not. So I CC anywhere I want.

I've seen the same thing (at least at the one in Gilbert on Greenfield).

I've also noticed that they're sitting at the desk - often facing towards the library and not the entrance or at a side view so they can see everywhere. Seems like they're more for keeping books/equipment from being stolen than offering protection for anyone.

Oh well. I gotta give them credit for at least being armed.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockk View Post
    I've also noticed that they're sitting at the desk - often facing towards the library and not the entrance or at a side view so they can see everywhere. Seems like they're more for keeping books/equipment from being stolen than offering protection for anyone.
    Yup. I think you hit the nail on the head.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar

I have a friend who is a big-time activist that got Phoenix to install gun lockers at their Public Library, as they weren't complying with the law either.

I suggest that you contact your state org or look up CD Tavares to get some action in your community. Hope this is helpful. I live on the right coast and can carry into any municipal building legally, so we don't have those kind of problems.

Good Luck!

Sorry ChuckE

I'm still stuck on an Armed Guard at a Public Library...Wow!!!

Administrator
    Armed security at a library isnt anything new around for the cities library's. Its meant as a deterant more than anything else, I doubt the actually expect them to do anything.
    "Just blame Sixto"

there's a sign at the door saying there's no weapons allowed.

Also, I've read that the State Constitution of Arizona states that if a public building prohibits guns, that they provide a place to store the gun in the form of locked storage which our city does not.
    IANAL, but I would suggest that the library is not in compliance with the law, and so would have trouble making violation of a mutual-compliance code stick. Ignore in happiness, and be concealed. If you want to be secure from a trespass warning, ask for clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Armed security at a library isnt anything new around for the cities library's. Its meant as a deterant more than anything else, I doubt the actually expect them to do anything.
    +1

Armed guards are armed for their protection. I should know.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Bando View Post
    At least he's armed. The worst is when they tell you that you can't have a gun and there is a 70 year old Grandpa with a flashlight guarding everyone. ...sigh... They just don't get it.
    Yea, but does he have rounds for his weapon.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

VIP Member
    But you don't understand... the sheep FEEL much better because he's there. It doesn't matter that the guard is virtually useless against an armed attacker, all that matters is that the easily frightened sheep FEEL safe.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

You're absolutely right. During the summer, my branch was packed every single day with kids and mothers as they have a kids reading program.

If there's a "good" place for a BG to look for victims, the library would be second only to a school.

The armed security guard would just be the first victim is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    But you don't understand... the sheep FEEL much better because he's there. It doesn't matter that the guard is virtually useless against an armed attacker, all that matters is that the easily frightened sheep FEEL safe.
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Originally Posted by Thumper

You're absolutely right. During the summer, my branch was packed every single day with kids and mothers as they have a kids reading program.

If there's a "good" place for a BG to look for victims, the library would be second only to a school.

The armed security guard would just be the first victim is all.
    Those were my thoughts exactly. There is just no way I would sit down as a lone armed security guard in a place like that.
    Sure, most of the days would be pretty much boring. But should some crazy BG ever come in, I'd feel like a sitting duck.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links