I thought it was going down last night...

This is a discussion on I thought it was going down last night... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was in WPB, with my 25 year old son, when we stopped about 8:30 p.m. for gas at a stop & rob in what ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I thought it was going down last night...

I was in WPB, with my 25 year old son, when we stopped about 8:30 p.m. for gas at a stop & rob in what is not the best area of West Palm.

Immediately, we were approached by a large, 30-something male. He had homed in on us, and was approaching WAY too aggressively. I had just gotten out of the car, headed to the fuel door on the driver’s side, and had made it to the rear of my vehicle when he appeared barreling down on us from about 15 yds away. He was wearing what looked like sweats and some kind of t-shirt. He had a hospital bracelet on his wrist. He was asking for change. My red flags went up immediately.

I told him, “No! Stop right there.”

He kept coming.

I told him again, hand out in a ‘stop’ gesture, “No!” I moved to the driver’s side, so there was something between me and him. He slowed a little, but kept coming, insisting that he wanted some change. At this point, he is about 7 yards away. I noticed a fairly prominent bulge in the right hip pocket of his scrubs.

I told him, “Stop! Get out of here.” He kept arguing with me, but did stop with this “What the is wrong with you?” look.

He again tried asking for money, taking another step toward me. At this point my cover shirt is up and my hand is on my weapon, and I again shouted, “Stop! Back away!” (Without doing so consciously, I 'bladed' my body to protect my strong side and weapon.)

At this point, he heads off toward the vehicle next to me, which had pulled up right after me. The gentleman in the car told him in no uncertain terms to get away from him and his vehicle. He also told him that he was going to get himself shot if he kept that stuff up.
    (I don't think he saw my gun, due to the gas pump being between me and him, plus my body being turned so I don't think he could see my strong side.)

‘Scrubby’ then approached another car that had pulled in. Inside was a woman, alone. He walked up to her driver’s side door, and effectively blocked her from leaving her car, while asking for money. She eventually got him to move, then got out and headed inside, purse on her arm, with him following her and jawing the whole way.

I have, in the meantime, starting pumping gas. I am watching him the whole time. (I was on ‘E’ or I would have left.)

After harassing her, he heads back toward me. The guy next to me starts jawing at him that he was going to get shot. I am just glaring, and watching his every move.

He eventually headed off when someone else pulled up. I finished filling my tank, got in the car and got out of there.

I don’t know for certain what he was up to, but his mannerisms set off every alarm bell in my mind and body.

My son and I talked after, and he thought that the guy was probably on something, and that he also felt he was ‘up to something.’

Anyway, no harm, no foul. I did report the guy to the cashier, and suggest she needed to call the police. I doubt she did.

Anyone, anywhere, anytime.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

Mike,

Your actions sounded quick, alert, and proper.
    I would have done the same thing. I believe I would have also called the cops, too...just to protect the next customers.

Glad you made it out of there without a further incident. It does sound like this guy was 'high'...to be so aggressive.

Stay armed...call the cops, too...stay safe!

Ken
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Good job being observan stay safe!

It sounds to me like you did just fine. I agree with retsup, I too would have called the police to maybe put an end to his little game.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Yep call the cops you might drive off and next unsuspecting lady pulls up won't be so lucky.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

It likely was. But it didn't, because of your awareness and resolve.

You had no specific knowledge of criminal intent, and he didn't necessarily have to stop walking merely because you demanded it. But, the sum total of his demeanor and speech, followed by the proof of his duplicating the treatment to others, brands him as an aggressive panhandler at minimum, with a strong possibility of being something far worse. Three other people also thought the same thing (the two drivers, your son).

Kudos on the awareness.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    It sounds to me like you did just fine. I agree with retsup, I too would have called the police to maybe put an end to his little game.
    +1 'nuff said.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Sounds like you did just fine. Great job.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    ... He also told him that he was going to get himself shot if he kept that stuff up...
    Wonder if the other patron was packing?

Good handling of the situation.

Administrator
    mentals are very unpredictable (duh), who knows what the intentions were.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sounds like a meth head. They can get very aggressive acting. Good job of putting the vehicle between you.

Just one point to keep in mind ... this guy could very well have been a distraction, so make sure you CY6. Those scans over your shoulder are good for more than just looking tacticool at the range ... they can save your life if you're getting flanked.

VIP Member
    That is really interesting that the other guy kept shouting to the bg that he was going to get shot. It is an odd thing for a cc er to yell, as most of us are taught to not draw except in the gravest extreme, and to not threaten--which could be misconstrued as assault with a deadly weapon.

SO, what could that other guy have possibly been up to himself if he didn't see you about to draw?

Bluff? Another cc er who was a bit hasty?

Could he have been yelling to you to watch out YOU are going to get shot?

to OP

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Wonder if the other patron was packing?
    Doubt it. (Well legally anyway)

Any person legally carrying a weapon would be absolutely retarded to say something like that because if the situation did boil over and he had to shoot him in self defense, he's now on trial for premeditated murder.
    Glock 26 Owner
    Ubuntu 8.04 User
    Firefox User

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links