Close Encounters of a Ghetto Kind

This is a discussion on Close Encounters of a Ghetto Kind within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is my neighbor's experience he had a couple days ago. I wanted to share it with you guys and see how you would handle ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Close Encounters of a Ghetto Kind

Close Encounters of a Ghetto Kind

This is my neighbor's experience he had a couple days ago. I wanted to share it with you guys and see how you would handle it. My neighbor Matt was driving in a less than stellar neighborhood in North Las Vegas. The traffic light turned red and he stopped. A car with two black male adults pulled up next to him and said, "You're too white for this neighborhood". My neighbor ignored them when one of them said, "You'd better get out of here before you get shot". At that point my neighbor blew the red light he was stopped at. The black males gave chase. They stopped chasing him as my neighbor approached the police station, his intended destination. Followed is how I would have handled the situation.

BGs: You're too white for this neighborhood.
    Me: Last time I checked this is America, and I'm free to drive anywhere I want
    BGs: You'd better get out of here before you get shot
    Me: Leave me a lone I'm calling the police. <With my strong hand I would be preparing to draw if necessary

If at that point the black males got out of the car and the light was still red I would draw down and order them back in the car and to get out of here. I would drive to a safe location and call 911. If a weapon was presented, I would fire 2 shots to the thoracic cavity and reassess for threats.

How would you handle the situation? Just so you know, my neighbor wasn't armed, but I am posting the scenario as if I am armed.
    "People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people".
    -- V for Vendetta

NRA Associate Member

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Ignoring them , then getting out of there is probably the best solution. If you talk to them it will only antagonize the situation. Showing all a possible attempts to disengage from the BG's before having to shoot shows you tried all other choices before having to defend with a gun.
    Calling PD along the way is another good option. Sticking around in a known bad area may be the worst solution, who knows maybe the other car had pals waiting nearby to car jack your neighbor.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I actually don't know how I would react, until the time came...

Quote Originally Posted by NickEMT View Post
    ......... Followed is how I would have handled the situation.

BGs: You're too white for this neighborhood.
    Me: Last time I checked this is America, and I'm free to drive anywhere I want
    BGs: You'd better get out of here before you get shot
    Me: Leave me a lone I'm calling the police. <With my strong hand I would be preparing to draw if necessary

If at that point the black males got out of the car and the light was still red I would draw down and order them back in the car and to get out of here. I would drive to a safe location and call 911. If a weapon was presented, I would fire 2 shots to the thoracic cavity and reassess for threats.

How would you handle the situation? Just so you know, my neighbor wasn't armed, but I am posting the scenario as if I am armed.
    Your neighbor handled it correctly. Your method of handling that particular situation would have escalated it.....not good.

Reason or violence are the only two ways to get someone to do what you want them to do. The BG's don't care that your in America and had already threatened to "shoot". That's enough for me to 'bug-out'.

Your method would've been wrong
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

If the lights red, I wouldn't be very inclined to blow it and risk getting t-boned in the intersection. Sorry I didn't mention that
    "People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people".
    -- V for Vendetta

NRA Associate Member

Uhm, to start with, I wouldn't roll my window down to have a conversation with people I don't know in a bad neighborhood.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

I'm not running a red light BG says better get out of here before you get shot is a verbal threat on my life and i will be getting my gun out of holster in stealth mode,maybe reverse enough to get his tag number and if he jumps out with a gun i can engage him from the seat,he has no cover behind the door.Once I got his tag I'm reporting the terroristic threat and filing a report
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    OK... I'll weigh in here; First, why in the world would you converse with them? No good will come of it. Just roll on out, just like your neighbor did.
    Second, why would anybody reverse to get a tag number? Putting yourself behind them (even a little bit) will hinder your escape. Besides, even a tag number means nothing in the ghetto. A complete vehicle description is much more valued. Besides all that, what good will having the tag number be if;

A: Nothing more happens... what are you going to report to the police? Some black dudes made you uncomfortable at a traffic light? The police might not say it,but they probably would be thinking it; If you are told you are to white to be in a certain neighborhood, chances are its the truth. Its time to roll out!

B: You get shot at or worse; I can promise you the cars tag will not come back to any of the guys in the car. It will come back to a senior citizen, or a female. It will be very difficult to prove who was in the car. Its just the way of the ghetto.
    "Just blame Sixto"

His window was already open, a mistake I know

I agree with dukalmighty, I'm gonna go blow a red light, they're the thugs not me. Why should I risk getting hit because they don't like a white guy in a black neighborhood. I'm gonna stay there until the light turns red, if they want to escalate the situation then they escalate, I'm just going to defend myself in turn.
    -- V for Vendetta

NRA Associate Member

First, if I can avoid bad 'hoods', I'll drive around them. If, however, I had been in that situation, I would have done just as your friend did...no engagement...no communicationj...check the intersection...head on out/down to a PD station.

Stay armed...keep your mouth shut...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Why say anything? Any reasonable person should assume that responding to those kinds of comments in the given situation would very likely escalate the situation.

Your friend did the right thing...kept his trap shut, and proceeded to the nearest police station.

SOOO many things wrong about responding verbally like that.

-JT

Thanks for all the responses. It seems like most people would ignore the thugs and go through the intersection. That seems like the best option after I've thought about it a little bit. I guess I was just a little hot-headed in how I would deal with it. It's just that by leaving, the thugs will feel that they succeeded in scaring yet another "cracka" out of the "hood". I think if more criminals had citizens stand up to them, they might think twice about committing crimes.
    -- V for Vendetta

NRA Associate Member

Administrator
    You must choose your battles to win the war.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thanks for all the responses. It seems like most people would ignore the thugs and go through the intersection. That seems like the best option after I've thought about it a little bit. I guess I was just a little hot-headed in how I would deal with it. It's just that by leaving, the thugs will feel that they succeeded in scaring yet another "cracka" out of the "hood". I think if more criminals had citizens stand up to them, they might think twice about committing crimes.
    I would rather they (possibly) feel more "satisfied" about scaring someone than satisfied about KILLING someone.

Back when I was a kid, I probably would have advocated a more...active...response. But these days, I'd kinda like to be around to watch my kid grow up.

-JT

DC Founder
    You're friend handled it exactly right. When you are carrying, it's not the time to be "hot-headed". Avoidance of a situation is not cowardly, it's common sense. And, personally, I don't care about them believing they successfully "scared another cracka out of the hood"; I'll be concentrating on keeping the bad guys at bay in my neighborhood. That's the place to stand up to them....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links