Comment On This Topic.

Comment On This Topic.

This is a discussion on Comment On This Topic. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This was taken "word for word" from another forum. Your comments are WELCOME. Does any of it have any merit at all? Your Thoughts? Your ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator

Post Comment On This Topic.

This was taken "word for word" from another forum.
    Your comments are WELCOME.
    Does any of it have any merit at all?
    Your Thoughts?
    Your Opinion?

"Reading a separate thread about gun modifications and whether they would hurt your defense in a self-defense shooting, it reminded me of a recent discussion I had with a local Cabela's employee. He was a very nice guy and claimed ot be both ex-military and ex-LEO. We started our conversation when I asked for advice on a leather holster for CCing my G26. It evolved from there - keep in mind also that we're in Texas which is a relatively gun-friendly state.

In the discussion he told me that anyone (anyone) who shoots an intruder/aggressor in the head will, no matter how justified the shooting, end up with some jail time. Shooting center mass, on the other hand, in a justified shooting, will simply result in an investigation and no repercussion from there.

He also said your better off emptying the gun, even if you've stopped the aggressor, than stopping after a shot or, God help you, a double tap. It's almost like he was saying the more "out of control with fear" that you appear the more chance you have of not getting in trouble for defending yourself
    Is there anything about this that makes sense to any of you guys?"

Hmm ... an "ex-LEO" employee at Cabela's?

Reminds me of what Dennis Miller said; "If you get to be thirty-five and your job still involves wearing a name tag, you've probably made a serious vocational error."

Gotta love all the "Armchair Lawyers" out there.

Unless this "shot to the head" is in the back of the head when the attacker is laying face down on the ground he's just blowing smoke ... I wouldn't ask this guy for stock tips or advice on writing your will either.

Lead Moderator
    sounds like another ex navy seal /secops warrior. (note sarcasm ) Even police officers don't know all the laws or how a jury trial will go. Sounds like a B.S. blanket statement to me. A good shoot should be a good shoot, no matter where ya put lead into a BG. Too any chairborne rangers out there spouting off what they don't know about in the slightest. Most ex pd or other will not mention there previous proffesion casually.

Assistant Administrator
    I feel a waft of hot air in that - like ''get real''!!

What is the pre-requisite we should have to consider - a) ''I was in fear of my life''. Closely following on from that is - b) "I felt I had to stop the threat'' - or something similar.

Stopping a threat when under duress will not IMO for most be anything like a ''classic Mozambique'' - nor will it be either IMO a problem if a head shot is achieved. Back once more to ''stopping the threat'' - ''I did not want to be killed''.

No way can I see anyone in extremis having available spare cerebral computing power to enable decision making over whether to hit here and not there!! If ''a)'' is true then ''b)'' is equally true, or chances are there will be no need to defend or testify, due to new home in a casket.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I have heard the old tirade of "empty it" before, but I've also read about people who fire exactly one shot and kill their attacker and don't go to jail for it.

Not buying it. No offense LE, but I do not take legal advice from police officers.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    << recomends Massad Ayobs book- In The Gravest Extreme. Its not 100% but then nothing is for all of the usa , its still a great primer for new carry folks Mas as all " experts" needs to be taken with a grain of salt because after all they are espousing THIER opinions tho many times they are on the mark more than our mental mastrubation on boards , anyway QK pick up a copy and read it , i also like cooper and jordan if you can read some of thier material , you will see differing opinions , but a lot of common sense too , Mas especialy addresses how shooting incodents are investigated , and interact with the court system IMHO good luck on the quest for factual info tho LOL

Re: Comment On This Topic.

While I will admit right from the start that I do not know all of the laws of Texas, I find it very difficult to believe that if an assailant was struck in the head that it would immediately equate to jail time.

Here are some potential variables which can come into play:

1. In the heat of the moment and under the incredible stress you discharge your weapon (Justifiably) at what you thought was his COM. However for whatever reason you ended up hitting him in the face. You thought you were aiming for his chest!!!! Have you know committed a crime? I highly doubt it provided you were justified in taking the shot in the first place.

2. You are attacked and are justified in using deadly force. You get the opportunity to engage and immediately fire a controlled pair to his COM. To your horror, your attacker continues to advance. Do you continue to fire additional rounds into the COM which up to this point have not really accomplished much or do you take a CNS (Central Nervous System) aka: Head shot? Anyone who has read my book knows that this is a technique which I teach to all of my students. It is based upon what is known as a "Body Armor / Drug Response" and basically it is used in situations such as I described above where the attacker is either wearing body armor (Remember the LA Shootout) or is under the influence of some very heavy narcotics which prevent the the desired effects from occuring immediately.

As to emptying the weapon into the attacker, this is a tricky consideration on a series of levels:

1. What if he was not alone?

2. What is his relative position to you after the initial rounds were fired. If he continues to advance, yes continue to fire. However if for example he is attemting to retreat from you or is stumbling backward, etc. the threat being presented to you is no being minimized and there would likely be some significant legal implications to continuing to engage.

In short, this is the classic example which I wrote about in my book with gun store commandos who do not have a clue.

Be Safe

Bryan S. Williams
    Williams Associates Protective Services, LLC

Main Website - www.wa-protective.com
    New Book - www.wttrw.com

Lead Moderator
    Bottom line, I'd say the clerk is full of it!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    not only is the clerk full of it , but most of us who hand out advise ( yes me on occation ) are too , lol , read up , study the issues then form your own opinions ( then you can be full of it too LOL)

Cabella's needs better screening oF their employees!!!!
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zundfolge
    ... I wouldn't ask this guy for stock tips or advice on writing your will either.
    Marital/relationship advice would fall in the same category, I suspect
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

OD*
    Sounds like bovine fecal matter.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Administrator
    You know how multi dimensional I am.
    What is a scary thought to me is that somebody got fed that information that by a store clerk & then had to actually check the information out with other forum members to see if it was true...or not.

Sort of like if somebody told me the moon was made out of Swiss Cheese & I felt that I had to call an astronomer to verify it.

Assistant Administrator
    Sort of like if somebody told me the moon was made out of Swiss Cheese & I felt that I had to call an astronomer to verify it.
    But QK - everyone knows it's made of Cheddar!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator

Thumbs up Oh Sorry

Yeah sure...Cheddar???...I'm going to hafta go check that out with the experts at the Pittsburgh Planetarium!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links