Bad morning

Bad morning

This is a discussion on Bad morning within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I got up at 5 this morning and turned on the local news in time to hear them mention a murder on a road ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad morning

Bad morning

Well, I got up at 5 this morning and turned on the local news in time to hear them mention a murder on a road in my neighborhood. They aren't giving out many details: stabbing, gunshot, names, etc. But they did call it a murder and have a team there. What has me concerned is that: a, it's MY neighborhood and b, the body was discovered at 7pm. It's still daylight here at that time.

Looks like I get to check out my property now and hunt for weak spots in my security. Any ideas? I don't want to place cameras, but I don't want open windows either.

Thanks.

Keep everything locked...stay alert during trips outside, but most importantly, get a big dog.

Anyone watching our place has to notice our 125# Rhodesian Ridgeback...when we are gone, you can hear his deep bark outside of the house...there are places with easier pickings.

Stay armed...bark first, then bite...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Yikes!
    That's much worse than what happened around here, (about a mile and a half away) a shotgun was stolen from an unsecured vehicle. So as retsupt99 suggests, keep things locked up, all the time you're not using/carrying it.

VIP Member
    I've heard that command detonated mines work great for this type of thing. Just check with your lawyer first...and remember front toward the enemy !
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I've heard that command detonated mines work great for this type of thing. Just check with your lawyer first...and remember front toward the enemy !
    Now there's an idea

Seriously though, the dog would be great and you also get a pal out of it. Motion activated security lights are also a great (cheap) addition to any security plan.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Here are a couple of tips I've used to protect my family. All IMHO, of course, but they've worked for me over the years:

--Locking all doors and windows at all times will be your first line of defense. Simple, cheap, and the one secuirty measure that most people (myself included) will often forget. That 103 lb crackhead isn't going to break his femur so he can kick his way past your deadbolt. (although it would be funny to watch.)
    --Good call on the Big Dog Defense theory. BGs will likely take all steps to avoid getting a set of dog teeth firmly lodged in his posterior. (Why doesn't Iams sell "BG Flavored Treats?")
    --Very good call on motion sensor lights. A cheap and easy way to improve security.
    --Try to get to know neighbors (providing it's a decent neighborhood and your neighbors aren't likely to be the ones breaking into your house). A neighbor is much more likely to call PD if he knows your first name, and you shared your fresh tomatos with him last week.
    --If you can't afford an alarm system (which is the ideal secuirty solution), at least go online and buy some security system stickers/signs. I've been told that "Passive security" accounts for 80% of the protection. Again, BGs will avoid a more hardened target. (I like this one http://safety-identification-product...-home-sign.gif)

Bottom line: You'll have to draw that line between having an open/comfortable home and turning into Fort Knox.

Although I've heard that Fort Knox is pretty comfy. I'd bet they even get HBO.
    "A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
    Dwight D. Eisenhower

Every day stuff around here

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Now there's an idea

Seriously though, the dog would be great and you also get a pal out of it. Motion activated security lights are also a great (cheap) addition to any security plan.
    The dogs are great. I've got 2, and motion activated lights on the front. I'll be adding the rear (where the dogs stay) this weekend.

I know what you mean, my shop is located in meth-head territory. It's not uncommon to see shootings and stabbings related to the area. Normally it's over drugs or goods of some kind.

Some guy up the street stabbed some other guy over a dog that he claimed was his. good grief

I try keep very aware of my surroundings.
    Last edited by G96X0; September 8th, 2008 at 04:36 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by asardoc View Post
    Here are a couple of tips I've used to protect my family. All IMHO, of course, but they've worked for me over the years:

--Good call on the Big Dog Defense theory. BGs will likely take all steps to avoid getting a set of dog teeth firmly lodged in his posterior. (Why doesn't Iams sell "BG Flavored Treats?")

--If you can't afford an alarm system .... BGs will avoid a more hardened target. (I like this one http://safety-identification-product...-home-sign.gif)

Bottom line: You'll have to draw that line between having an open/comfortable home and turning into Fort Knox.

Although I've heard that Fort Knox is pretty comfy. I'd bet they even get HBO.
    I'm going to email Iams about that new flavor.
    That sign is great. Might just order 1.
    I've been to Fort Knox and I don't have enough land to park the 5 Hummers that came and met me. I didn't see the sign that said Fed Prop. I now look, everywhere.

I also agree that a dog is good for security. I have a lab/german shepherd mix that I walk daily, so anyone around would have to notice her. She goes nuts when strangers come near my house.

Being new to the Forum, Ill add my 2 cents.. As I am always looking to increase security..

I keep all doors and windows locked and deadbolted at night.
    I have a pretty darn good alarm system which really, eases my mind the most.
    One ferocious Black Cat!!!
    And one unforgiving 45 caliber Glock.

I would still like to rearrange some room for cover and make a safety plan with the wife.

Her In-Laws make fun of me for being so secure. I make fun of them for being so naive!

Quote Originally Posted by pepsico View Post
    Being new to the Forum, Ill add my 2 cents.. As I am always looking to increase security..

I keep all doors and windows locked and deadbolted at night.
    I have a pretty darn good alarm system which really, eases my mind the most.
    One ferocious Black Cat!!!
    And one unforgiving 45 caliber Glock.

I would still like to rearrange some room for cover and make a safety plan with the wife.

Her In-Laws make fun of me for being so secure. I make fun of them for being so naive!
    Do you lock your doors during the day,some home invasions occur during the day and you would be surprised how many people do not lock their doors,burglars love sneaking in and grabbing purses etc. then leaving and you never even know they been there til you can't find a purse or digital camera/laptop computer etc.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

My parents live in NC south of Chapel Hill. They are pretty far from civilization. In their neighborhood (all 15 of em), maybe 1 person locks the doors when they are out, and rarely do any of them lock them while they are there.
    So in 2004, I get a call from my Dad saying that the house got broken into. I asked how they got in, and my Mom left to go to the store, and only locked the knob. She got about 5 miles away and realized she forgot something, and when she got back, the door was open, and everything electronic device in the living room was gone. She said she passed a truck parked at the intersection, and the man was standing outside it. She slowed down to see if he needed anything. Turns out he was a lookout. So when she asked, he said he was calling a friend, and they called the BGs.
    She called the police...and 3 hours later they showed up. Turns out, the BGs were scoping out houses and making schedules. They hit 10 out of the 15 houses in the area in one day. They got caught at the last house on the block when the husband was in the shed working on his chainsaw and his motion sensor went off. He called the police and blocked their vehicle with his riding mower.
    Now my parents have an alarm and new locks on all the doors...but I could never convince them to buy a firearm...

Quote Originally Posted by ntkb View Post
    Every day stuff around here
    yep, just another day.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links