Defensive Carry banner

Bad morning

3K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  svinfinity45 
#1 ·
Well, I got up at 5 this morning and turned on the local news in time to hear them mention a murder on a road in my neighborhood. They aren't giving out many details: stabbing, gunshot, names, etc. But they did call it a murder and have a team there. What has me concerned is that: a, it's MY neighborhood and b, the body was discovered at 7pm. It's still daylight here at that time.

Looks like I get to check out my property now and hunt for weak spots in my security. Any ideas? I don't want to place cameras, but I don't want open windows either.

Thanks.

#2 ·
Keep everything locked...stay alert during trips outside, but most importantly, get a big dog.:yup::yup:

Anyone watching our place has to notice our 125# Rhodesian Ridgeback...when we are gone, you can hear his deep bark outside of the house...there are places with easier pickings.

Stay armed...bark first, then bite...stay safe!

#4 ·
I've heard that command detonated mines work great for this type of thing. Just check with your lawyer first...and remember front toward the enemy ! :hand5:

#6 ·
Here are a couple of tips I've used to protect my family. All IMHO, of course, but they've worked for me over the years:

--Locking all doors and windows at all times will be your first line of defense. Simple, cheap, and the one secuirty measure that most people (myself included) will often forget. That 103 lb crackhead isn't going to break his femur so he can kick his way past your deadbolt. (although it would be funny to watch.)
--Good call on the Big Dog Defense theory. BGs will likely take all steps to avoid getting a set of dog teeth firmly lodged in his posterior. (Why doesn't Iams sell "BG Flavored Treats?")
--Very good call on motion sensor lights. A cheap and easy way to improve security.
--Try to get to know neighbors (providing it's a decent neighborhood and your neighbors aren't likely to be the ones breaking into your house). A neighbor is much more likely to call PD if he knows your first name, and you shared your fresh tomatos with him last week.
--If you can't afford an alarm system (which is the ideal secuirty solution), at least go online and buy some security system stickers/signs. I've been told that "Passive security" accounts for 80% of the protection. Again, BGs will avoid a more hardened target. (I like this one http://safety-identification-products.com/images/dog-gun-home-sign.gif)

Bottom line: You'll have to draw that line between having an open/comfortable home and turning into Fort Knox.

Although I've heard that Fort Knox is pretty comfy. I'd bet they even get HBO.

#10 ·
Here are a couple of tips I've used to protect my family. All IMHO, of course, but they've worked for me over the years:

--Good call on the Big Dog Defense theory. BGs will likely take all steps to avoid getting a set of dog teeth firmly lodged in his posterior. (Why doesn't Iams sell "BG Flavored Treats?")

--If you can't afford an alarm system .... BGs will avoid a more hardened target. (I like this one http://safety-identification-products.com/images/dog-gun-home-sign.gif)

Bottom line: You'll have to draw that line between having an open/comfortable home and turning into Fort Knox.

Although I've heard that Fort Knox is pretty comfy. I'd bet they even get HBO.
I'm going to email Iams about that new flavor.
That sign is great. Might just order 1.
I've been to Fort Knox and I don't have enough land to park the 5 Hummers that came and met me. I didn't see the sign that said Fed Prop. I now look, everywhere.

#9 · (Edited)
I know what you mean, my shop is located in meth-head territory. It's not uncommon to see shootings and stabbings related to the area. Normally it's over drugs or goods of some kind.

Some guy up the street stabbed some other guy over a dog that he claimed was his. good grief

I try keep very aware of my surroundings.

#12 ·
Being new to the Forum, Ill add my 2 cents.. As I am always looking to increase security..

I keep all doors and windows locked and deadbolted at night.
I have a pretty darn good alarm system which really, eases my mind the most.
One ferocious Black Cat!!!
And one unforgiving 45 caliber Glock.

I would still like to rearrange some room for cover and make a safety plan with the wife.

Her In-Laws make fun of me for being so secure. I make fun of them for being so naive!

#13 ·
Do you lock your doors during the day,some home invasions occur during the day and you would be surprised how many people do not lock their doors,burglars love sneaking in and grabbing purses etc. then leaving and you never even know they been there til you can't find a purse or digital camera/laptop computer etc.

#14 ·
My parents live in NC south of Chapel Hill. They are pretty far from civilization. In their neighborhood (all 15 of em), maybe 1 person locks the doors when they are out, and rarely do any of them lock them while they are there.
So in 2004, I get a call from my Dad saying that the house got broken into. I asked how they got in, and my Mom left to go to the store, and only locked the knob. She got about 5 miles away and realized she forgot something, and when she got back, the door was open, and everything electronic device in the living room was gone. She said she passed a truck parked at the intersection, and the man was standing outside it. She slowed down to see if he needed anything. Turns out he was a lookout. So when she asked, he said he was calling a friend, and they called the BGs.
She called the police...and 3 hours later they showed up. Turns out, the BGs were scoping out houses and making schedules. They hit 10 out of the 15 houses in the area in one day. They got caught at the last house on the block when the husband was in the shed working on his chainsaw and his motion sensor went off. He called the police and blocked their vehicle with his riding mower.
Now my parents have an alarm and new locks on all the doors...but I could never convince them to buy a firearm...

#19 ·
Before you get yourself all worked up over the murder, find out what the story is. Chances are a family member or somebody the victim knows did it. In those cases (most) added security wont do much.

#21 ·
True. While stepping up security is always good even if you have no reason, I'd find out the facts first. I live in a "boonies" town where everyone knows everyone else's pet's names and such....and one night coming home I saw about 10 CSP cruisers and the Violent Crimes Unit truck outside a house at the end of my street..one of the "outsiders" houses. The next day there was a story about a "double homicide" at the location with not many details. About a week later, it turned out the husband and wife were fighting, and he ended up stabbing her and then himself. That's a little different than a violent invasion or similar. Still made me install Pan/Tilt camera's with Infrared LED's (to see clearly at night). Motion detectors chime a ding on my laptop if something over 100lbs appx. is sensed within about 10 feet of my house and automatically maximizes that camera's screen. I am a serious DIY'er so the whole setup only set me back about $500 total. Deer do set it off, but I enjoy watching them anyways so it doesn't bother me if it wakes me up late at night...:smile:

I also agree that a good neighbor is one of your best allies. All of the people on my street watch out for each other even though some of us rarely talk. I guess I'm lucky I live on a "tactical minded" street.

#20 ·
For this and for the future... get a good dog. They're always in condition yellow! :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.