I was carjacked in 1994 - Page 3

I was carjacked in 1994

This is a discussion on I was carjacked in 1994 within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well as the man is calling the police the wife gets me a towel to put in the bullet wound. Well she leaves to get ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: I was carjacked in 1994

Well as the man is calling the police the wife gets me a towel to put in the bullet wound. Well she leaves to get something and I see a man with a Gun out there front door window and i'm freaking out, i'm thinking they found me here. Well it was the cops..

hope didn't bore you guys with the details.

The operation went well, i have plastic the is now my eye socket, and metal in my face, if you see me you can't tell, you will only see a scar on the right side by my eye.

that's why when i started this thread, I would react different from many of you if I felt danger or someone flashed a gun at me or was reaching for his/her gun I would blast them.

At the time these BG's didn't care if I was married had kids etc, now i do..

I was enlisted to be a Marine a long dream of mine to serve, well because of the metal plates I couldnt be one.

When I went to court in 1996 to face the punk. I met his mother she apologized, the Punk got 45 yrs in prison with no parole.

Wow! This is fascinating! Thanks for sharing and I'm glad you lived to tell about it.

It sounds like you were conscious for a few minutes after being shot -- conscious enough to "play dead" (which seems to have been a great idea!).

If you were armed, do you think you could have mustered the strength to fight back after being shot?

Also, did you pass out from loosing blood?

Finally, is there anything you would do differently if put in the exact same situation again? (no gun)

Quote Originally Posted by ruertar View Post
    Wow! This is fascinating! Thanks for sharing and I'm glad you lived to tell about it.

It sounds like you were conscious for a few minutes after being shot -- conscious enough to "play dead" (which seems to have been a great idea!).

If you were armed, do you think you could have mustered the strength to fight back after being shot?

Also, did you pass out from loosing blood?

Finally, is there anything you would do differently if put in the exact same situation again? (no gun)
    I would have not been able to shot at them being in the condition I was in, due to not being able to see and to week from the loss of blood.

I don't think I passed out from losing the blood, I knew I had flatlined.

Yes, I would not be where I was at in any circumstances. But if it were to happen again (God Forbid) in a random act, I would muster the strength to drive off.

VIP Member
    TRICKORMATE. Thank You for recalling for all of us. It has made me think about why I carry. Good Luck. CCMAN.

I think given your previous circomstance the judge/jury would be more inclined to side with you than to think that you over reacted.

unfortunately it is possible that you coul be prosecuted for killing a would-be attacker (especially in some of the more nazi states)
    "An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Man you should change you avitar from Trickormate to SUPERMAN. You truly are something. Thanks for the story.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

thank you all for hearing me out, If you Gent/Ladies have any questions please ask..

I'll post some pic's tonight.

You will see me in those pictures with a buzz haircut, the reason why is that the Dr's were going to take some bone from my skull to put back in my face, but then they decided not too. So i ended up with a homemade buzz haircut.

Quote Originally Posted by ccman View Post
    TRICKORMATE. Thank You for recalling for all of us. It has made me think about why I carry. Good Luck. CCMAN.

Well said,that goes for me as well. Glad you came out of that as good as you did.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I want to apologize for not putting the pictures last night, I had church last night and I’d figured I get that done, but was not able too. I’ll put them on tonight.
    Regards,
    Trickormate

Amazing story, thanx for sharing it with us.

Thanks for sharing. Glad you are OK. Sorry it happened to you.

Regarding your specific questions, I think you'll find most of the people here would probably feel free to shoot as soon as they see a gun or knife or other identifiable grave threat.

That said, shooting without being able to identify the threat (you talked about shooting when hearing someone trying to open the door) isn't so good. It could be someone drunk trying to open your car door by mistake for example.

The bottom line is people *planning* on killing you without warning have a huge advantage. I think the best thing you can do is be as aware as possible and be prepared and be proficient with the tools you carry.

In your specific situation, had you been armed, you might have had a slight advantage if you stayed in the back and waited for them to enter the vehicle and then engage*. That way you could ID the threat and prevent them from getting the drop on you as they did when you were in the driver's seat. But even that could go wrong if they simply decided to shoot up the vehicle.

* Subnote: Note even that is going to be iffy. Hopefully you'll get the first guy, but if he has friends outside, most likely they will open up on your car. Things from that point are going to be pretty dicey.

Unarmed, my guess is that it was a toss-up between going the route you did (trying to drive away) and perhaps waiting in the back and trying to make a break for it out the back hatch.

If you were in the drivers seat, my guess is the best bet would be to try to drive off, hopefully hitting the gunman in the process. Admittedly, with someone already at the window, chances of success seem low.

But of course, all this is with the benefit of hindsight and even that doesn't give us a sure-fire solution. Bottom line is you attempted to take action once you realized you were in trouble, and that is half the battle.

The other side of this is that life doesn't necessarily stop when you get shot. Even if things become a big furball with them a shooting up your car with you in it, while you are probably going to get hit, there is a fair chance you will still be able to fight back.

Be safe,

-john

(I'm not an expert, but I play one on the Internet.... Er, OK, I'm not an expert. YMMV.)

Wow. I also had a life altering moment on Feb 5 but in 2000. I flipped my car end over end once and then rolled 12-15 times. Walked out with only a cut tongue(bit). Then an hour later I sprained my ankle.(God must have been busy and had to get caught up).

My family tells me that now Feb 5 is my second birthday. The day God gave me another life. So we share the same second birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by JammanX View Post
    Wow. I also had a life altering moment on Feb 5 but in 2000. I flipped my car end over end once and then rolled 12-15 times. Walked out with only a cut tongue(bit). Then an hour later I sprained my ankle.(God must have been busy and had to get caught up).

My family tells me that now Feb 5 is my second birthday. The day God gave me another life. So we share the same second birthday.
    Never thought of it as a second birthday...

I have found one of the newspaper clippings, I have my wife looking for the pictures so I can post them here..

Thank you for your patients.

The pictures have been found and the rest of the newspaper clippings..

They will be posted today..

Exclamation

Incredible! I have been in El Paso since the 60's when I was in high school. Scenic drive was a favorite place to take a date before taking her home. I have heard about crimes being committed there, but nothing as serious as what happened to you.

I don't remember hearing or reading about your incident. I do vaguely remember something about someone planning to join the military but being unable to do so after an attack by bad guys. I am very glad to hear you survived!

Bad guys do have the advantage because they know what they are planning and you don't. You must be able to react instantly, which requires you to be alert and have a gun handy.

Texas didn't have a law in 1994 allowing concealed carry like they do now. If you don't yet have your license to carry, get it soon!

By the way, the gang war going on in Juarez is expected to spill over into the US very soon. Don't go anywhere without your gun, day or night! Don't go over the border into Juarez at ANY time!
    Last edited by OM44; September 11th, 2008 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Corrected a date

The Second Amendment is NOT about hunting!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links