Loved One at Knife Point.

This is a discussion on Loved One at Knife Point. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; so today while i was walking with my gf to the gym, i started running through a scenario in my head. I actually (besides maintaining ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Loved One at Knife Point.

Loved One at Knife Point.

so today while i was walking with my gf to the gym, i started running through a scenario in my head. I actually (besides maintaining SA and stopping the situation from even starting), i coulnd't find a good reaction for this one. i figured id run it past you guys and see what you think, so here it goes.

Say your out in public, either walking down the street, to your vehicle, or your loved one is walking towards your vehicle to get in. all of the sudden an assailant armed with 3-5 inch blade pops out of some brush or some sort of hiding spot, grabs your loved one and puts the knife to his/her throat( imagine a choke hold type position but with a knife). the assailant then demands that you give up your wallet/keys/cell/ etc or they will kill your loved one. you are armed but the assailant is unaware... what do you do?

the best i could come up with was to throw the goods to the ground to divert is attention and hopefully get him to release the loved one or at the very least move so that he no longer had a human shield and i could either A draw and fire or B attempt a dis arm. if non of that was an option id just hope that the assailant didn't cut them because if that happened id be sure to empty a full mag COM
    Last edited by MRPOWER; September 10th, 2008 at 12:22 AM.
    when I leave this Earth, It's gonna be on both feet; NEVER KNEES IN THE DIRT

2. Remove Ads

a scary situation to be in and hopefully you
    will never be put to the test.
    i was thinking about the throw away wallet.
    (have one myself) and if possibly move to
    remove the human shield.

i'll be watching this post for other (better)
    ideas/plans to avoid or deal with such an
    issue. no dirty harry here.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

It depends.

It depends on a lot of factors, but I am inclined to give up the wallet, keys, cellphone ect. in hopes that that's all he wants. If it doesn't go good after that point and my loved one is harmed, I don't know.

I would like to think I would stay within the law as far as my response goes, but you never know until it happens.

Biker

I would give him my wallet/cells/keys, and when he let go of my wife I would shoot him, a lot. If he injured my wife after I gave into his demands, I would kill him. Lethal force is justifed(in my state) and I would use it. There are very few sacred things in my life. My wife is at the top of that list.

There is a possibility that if I thought he would hurt my wife regardless of whether I complied, I might draw and if I had a shot, I would shoot him. If I did not have a shot, I would make it clear that if he hurt her, I would kill him.

I understand that this post is different from the normal 'shoot to stop' mentality, but when it comes to a maniac threatening to kill my wife, I will have no hesitation or doubts.

I live in Texas, its different here.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I would throw down my throw down wallet. When he releases my loved one to pick it up, I would shoot him until I am sure he will never move again.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    I would give him my wallet/cells/keys, and when he let go of my wife I would shoot him, a lot. If he injured my wife after I gave into his demands, I would kill him. Lethal force is justifed(in my state) and I would use it. There are very few sacred things in my life. My wife is at the top of that list.

There is a possibility that if I thought he would hurt my wife regardless of whether I complied, I might draw and if I had a shot, I would shoot him. If I did not have a shot, I would make it clear that if he hurt her, I would kill him.

I understand that this post is different from the normal 'shoot to stop' mentality, but when it comes to a maniac threatening to kill my wife, I will have no hesitation or doubts.

I'm with him as soon as I get a clean shot I'm shooting til the threat is stopped
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    I would throw down my throw down wallet. When he releases my loved one to pick it up, I would shoot him until I am sure he will never move again.
    Same here Id make sure he didn't realize I was armed or its likely he would demand that was dropped too, as soon as he started reaching, that split second his attention is off the loved one, I would draw and empty my mag into him before he knew what happened.

I think I'd want to make sure the BG does NOT take my wife with him after he gets the wallet, keys, etc. I dunno exactly I'd handle this scenario but the big thought is keep the wife from being the human shield and ensure she isn't forced to go with him.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

A tricky scenario for sure...a lot depends on his demands and 'apparent' mental condition, but he has made a HUGE mistake...he's bringing a knife to a gun fight.
    One way or another, this BG is not leaving...his threatening days are over.

I would expect no less from my wife if I were being held.

Stay armed...know the gunfight rules...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Head shot at the first possible oppurtunity!
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

Hard to say. A draw may send him running or it may make things worse. Probably depends on his demeanor. One thing's for sure, if he let's go, he's dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post

AMEN Brother

this one seems to be hitting home for alot of us, i don't know my but the majority of the time when i envision scenarios like this i always thinking about protecting my gf ( who im very serious about). my guess would be because i spend the most time with her out of any of my loved ones.

someone a post or 2 ago made a comment about a head shot. I thought about that 2 but i think it would be a difficult shot, even at just 5-10ft away since not only is the guy ducking behind cover, but the cover his your wife,daughter, brother, sister etc. i know id be all over the place with the amount of adrenaline id have surging through me
    when I leave this Earth, It's gonna be on both feet; NEVER KNEES IN THE DIRT

I'm all about being upfront and honest with people. Depending on the distance and the perp's demeanor, perhaps a conversation like the following:

Me: "Here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to throw my wallet to you. You let my loved one go and take my wallet and I'll let you go. If you harm her in any way, I will draw my pistol and fill you with holes. Your choice."

Then, assuming he takes my advice, as soon as he releases my loved one, fill him with holes anyway. After all, he's still a threat.

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

Do you think it would be smart to carry a dummy wallet?

Ex: a wallet with maybe $20, let's say 10 $1 bills and 2 $5 bills..

VS giving him your Identity? DL, CC etc?

I just thought of this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links