Univeristy of Akron's "Defense Plan" Codename ALICE - Page 2

Univeristy of Akron's "Defense Plan" Codename ALICE

This is a discussion on Univeristy of Akron's "Defense Plan" Codename ALICE within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by walvord I bet the people doing the training don't have any kids enrolled at the U of Akron. Enroll in a college ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Univeristy of Akron's "Defense Plan" Codename ALICE

Cool Another Option

Quote Originally Posted by walvord View Post
    I bet the people doing the training don't have any kids enrolled at the U of Akron. Enroll in a college on-line - one that is accredited - and stay armed at your computer. Or, find a college that allows CC.

Hello All,

There's one more option. You can always do what I did back when

the Earth was still cooling, Get really GOOD with your CC

technique and DON'T get caught. Just for the record I was

runnin' & gunnin' with Zippy back in '76, '77, and '78.

GO ZIPS !

Safety First...Keep your groups tight,

mM

yeah, that'll be good while you're not caught, and I understand it IS possible, and I've heard the phrase "concealed is concealed" numerous times. But IF, not assuming anyone can't be ever-vigilant about their concealing method, *IF* you were caught, or made, how do you think that would make ALL gun owners look? What do you think they would do with gun rights on campuses? How much longer would it be before any weapons would be allowed on campus?

When you're carrying; one tiny, miniscule facet of what you're doing is (from the sheep's POV) you are representing ALL gun owners. The rules are the rules, the law is the law. If you don't follow the law, you're a criminal. Take off your sheepdog hat, and put on the wolf mask.

I've often wondered, how would it play out if you were illegally carrying on campus and had to use it against a criminal. Obviously we would all LIKE to THINK you'd be praised as a hero and get away with it... but what would the sheep and liberals say?

I'm thinking of an incident when a man walked onto the situation where a woman was being raped. The guy pulled out a gun and pistol-whipped the rapist, rescuing the woman. What happened? Turned out the woman was a die-hard liberal anti-gunner, and even though a shot was not fired, SHE pressed charges against her RESCUER because she didn't think he had to use that much force.

Apples and oranges, I know, but it's a good example of how anti-gun people will overact, and even if you 'saved the day', you'd still be badly in trouble.

Render unto Caesar that which belongs to him. Jesus said that.
    Just follow the law!

True, anything resembling a plan is better than nothing, however, how many of today's college goers are going to have the mindset or initiative to act when the real thing happens.

My money is on everyone who was in the process of rushing the BG will either drop or turn tail when the first shot is fired.

15 minuets of training is not going to be enough to do squat.

Classroom:

The door slams open and shots are fired in quick succession as the BG slowly walks into the room. Lots of screaming, the smell of fear and death, students frozen in shock...

Meanwhile the adjoining classrooms are either in lock down or evac.

Time to start having mandatory FOF PE class for all new students (regardless of "grade level") for the first year. 1 semester might have them prepared.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by tamworth View Post
    yeah, that'll be good while you're not caught, and I understand it IS possible, and I've heard the phrase "concealed is concealed" numerous times. But IF, not assuming anyone can't be ever-vigilant about their concealing method, *IF* you were caught, or made, how do you think that would make ALL gun owners look? What do you think they would do with gun rights on campuses? How much longer would it be before any weapons would be allowed on campus?
    I faced the same dilemma, not at school but at work, as many of us have. Guns were banned by my employer, making mayhem so much easier if some disgruntled employee decided to go postal. I decided I wasn't going to sit by helplessly to be slaughtered, so I carried my little Kel-Tec for years. Never got caught, never had to use it, so I was one of the lucky ones. What would have happened if I did have to use it? Never found out thankfully, but as the saying goes "better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6."
    When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe.......LUKE 11:21 NIV

I'm new to the forum, so maybe I shouldn't comment. But I've never been known for tact and diplomacy. Personally, I think throwing stuff and rushing the BG is a joke. First of all, you can't assume that everyone will follow the suite. Second of all, I would think it takes training and practice. All of us realize that if we are to be effective with a potentially lethal weapon, we need to do what? Practice, practice, practice. The BG is going to pick a random venue, with random people many who most likely have never seen a gun, been in a fight or even seen a fight. I just don't think that's an effective method. The Flt 93 scenario 1) was desparation, 2) somewhat planned and 3) poorly executed. That's not a negative testimony, but the fact is, they all died.

More effective is allowing CCL holders to carry, and bleeding hear liberals shutting up when a mutt is dispatched.

Just my 2 centavos.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Nice try, but useless against a true nut case that came to shoot.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Training

At least it gets them thinking about fighting back. Would I prefer them to be able to be legally armed, yes obviously. Is it politically possible, no. Remember the old saying... It's not the arrow, it's the Indian. I don't have a problem with it.

Self-defence is a natural response that animals are born with. We have spent years teaching our kids that it is wrong to react that way.

It will take years to re-teach them that they are responsible for their own safety. This is a good start. I believe that once we do this the kids will naturally look for better tools to use for self-defence.
    Its human nature.

Michael

My son is also in college. He has gone to Tri C and also Now Kent State. They must be doing this acroos the board. There is a group Students for conceal carry or something like that. I knwo he's not happy with the situation either.

It offers a false sense of security. The sheep have a NEED to feel safe like a heroin addict for his last hit before rehab. College shootings have been in our minds more and more, and the sheep have demanded that a police officer goes and tell kids that if they throw books and laptops at an active shooter, he'll cower and maybe drop his gun while they all tackle him. They even had a police officer demonstrate, showing them that he will submit to their swarm technique. It's a pantomime act. I just saw a video of it. He's smiling and laughing while they're tackling him and throwing stuff at him. This is not training at all. This is a false sense of security. I would bet that even after this act, if a real situation occurs, the students would freeze and not react like a swarm, realizing the tripe they'd been fed. In my books, this is worse than doing nothing. Once again, the liberals go out to do something and accomplish the exact opposite of what they intended.

False security, yes.

But its better than telling them to hide under a desk and wait for police.

This is the first school that i've seen whose active policy is to tell people to FIGHT BACK.

Its a long ways away from Students for Concealed Carry, but its a small step in the right direction IMO. Now people have to picture themselves going toe-to-toe with a man with a gun. Now how many of them are going to say, gee, i wish i had more of than a laptop to use....

It will get them thinking.

My sister lives on campus at the University Of Akron, I will be living there this spring as well. Not only is there the blanket danger of a rampaging gunman, but Akron is NOT a nice area. Theres a lot of on-campus muggings and general misconduct/violence.
    We are only as vulnerable as we are naive.

I've just graduated last May, and my wife still attends. I understand what you mean about it being a step in the right direction, but I guess I'm just peeved after seeing the pantomime act the cop was giving during his demonstration... even being a step in the right direction, you might get hit by a car if you don't look both ways first, y'know?

What UAPD is doing might not be the best alternative or what we here would prefer, but at least they are doing something other than telling everyone to run and hide. I put myself in this situation and asked, what would I do? If I was unarmed and cornered knowing that I would die unless I fought back, you could be damned sure I would use anything and everything in that room to fight. We like to fall back on the gun as our top choice for self defense, but if that was not available for whatever reason, I'm using the chair, a potted plant, a paper weight, a stapler, a pen....anything I can get my hands on.

I work for one of the big three here in Detroit, and last week our department held an emergency drill; we were to assume that "a dangerous person" was in the building. What were our instructions?? If in our cubicle, were to hide under the desk, and if in a conference room, to lock the door and get under the table. Stay there and wait to be rescued. OMG!!?!?! I left before the drill started. No way was I going to do any of that.

So by comparison, Akron PD is way ahead or some of our well known corporations.

I know I'm probably dreaming but maybe this inadequate first step can be used to turn things around and start instilling a warrior attitude in our kids again.

I can dream, anyway!
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

I find it hard to understand that more of you aren't applauding this as a wonderful first step. Once we have retrained these kids that its ok to follow their natural instinct for self preservation they will no longer be sheep.
    Hopefully they will start looking for better ways to protect themselves. I wouldnt be supprised to see some come to the conclusion that firearms are the perfect tool for the job.
    Who knows. Maybe we will see shooting clubs back in the schools again.

Michael

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links