My Wal-mart Sit-rep (Semi-long read..split up into 2 posts) - Page 2

My Wal-mart Sit-rep (Semi-long read..split up into 2 posts)

This is a discussion on My Wal-mart Sit-rep (Semi-long read..split up into 2 posts) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; At my store we always identify ourselves from about ten feet away, We verbally ID and display our badges. We never grab a person unless ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Wal-mart Sit-rep (Semi-long read..split up into 2 posts)

At my store we always identify ourselves from about ten feet away, We verbally ID and display our badges. We never grab a person unless they are the first to become combative.

Plus we are 100% positive that the person we are stopping is a thief. We have not had any false arrests while I've been working there.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    At my store we always identify ourselves from about ten feet away, We verbally ID and display our badges. We never grab a person unless they are the first to become combative.

Plus we are 100% positive that the person we are stopping is a thief. We have not had any false arrests while I've been working there.

Good for you, as that's the right thing to do.

Stand in front of the suspected shoplifter, announce I'm so-and-so with Loss Prevention, I need you to come with me right now to discuss the situation.

I've had a couple people get combative. One took a swing on me as I blocked his exit, he connected as I dodged, so I punched back, missing my target area, but essentially close-lining him and knocking him out.
    My supervisor might still be doing time for his fight. He went to stop a man, asked him for the receipt and the man kept walking. He grabbed the guys shirt, and the man took a swing at him. In retaliation my super decided the best course of action was to pommel his face into the glass door and stomp on the guys lumbar region and pelvic bone. Broke 5 ribs, fractured 3 vert, fractured his coccyx, and pelvic bone, dislocated his hip, knocked out 7 teeth and dislocated the guys jaw. All on camera, all in the wrong. I had the man's bag and it was a box of tylenol with the sensor still on it.
    I had to call the police and corporate. They told me to issue his termination immediately and ensure he never sets foot on property again. I told the cops to remove him, and they said "No prob." Later that year I had to be a witness and testify in court. The man dropped the lawsuit against Walmart (they settled out of court like they always do), but pressed charges against my supervisor. He got sentenced to 15 years.

Wow sounds like your boss had a small temper issue. We've had a couple fights / tackle people who run. Usually just ends up as a wrestling match until the cuffs get on.

My boss once jumped off the Second floor balcony of the mall onto the middle landing of a stairwell ( about a 10 foot drop) to jump on a shoplifter who was running. Hes a little nuts. lol.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

I must say, I hate those darn alarms. We have store here whose cashiers never seem to deactivate the tags.
    Now I just walk out without stopping. Last time I checked, there was no law that said I had to.
    If someone grabs me from behind I will react.
    If someone physically attempts to stop me from leaving (and they don't have arrest powers), I will react and it will be bad.

I don't give a damn what a store's "policy" is, some $7 an hour punk does not have the right to prevent me from going about my (lawful) business.

Caution: thread drift.

ummmm....it was my impression I did not have to stop to have my receipt checked. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but once I pay for something--it's mine. Personally, with one person checking receipts, I do not want to stand in another line just to go out the door.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Was with my daughter about three months ago at a K-Mart. We paid for our goods and was walking to the car when a guy grabbed her arm and forced her against the car. I pulled my weapon and demanded he let go which he did, and I called the police while I held me at gun point. Another man ran out the store yelling that both of them was LP, but I stayed on the phone and kept the first one where he was. The police showed up and started to take statements, lucky for me there were witness to what happened. She did not have what they said she stole, did not even have her handbag. The LP person that grabbed her wet his pants which was funny and tried to have me arrested for pulling a gun on him. The police told him I had every right too since he did not id himself.
    Long story short K-Mart settled with her out of court and both LP's were fired.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

I have been asked to show my receipt in a couple of stores. One particularly time I remember involved a shopping cart with about $300 of items...stacked high.
    The cashier's line was almost directly in front of the exit. As we were checking out, I watched as each customer was stopped and asked for the receipt while the 'exit clerk' checked the receipt and then scanned the carts...stupid...no way to eyeball every item against the receipt anyway.

Well, as we approached the exit...20 feet from where we just paid for the items...the clerk asked me for my receipt. I just said, "No thank you!", and proceeded through the doorway. The clerk just stared at me, but said nothing more. I was not about to play that stupid game.

Stay armed...don't touch me...EVER!...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I know that it varies from state to state but in Colorado LP employees have virtually No real power to detain , frisk , ect.. and putting hands on me Is an assault and will be treated as such . I dont steal , and i wont be detained by anyone less than a genuine LE officer . My stock answer for the alarms ect.. Is to clearly state No Thanks , I paid for my merchandise and dont care to wait around . I just keep walking to the car and leave . Ill further state that should i choose to play the game with them there is no way i will be " back roomed " We will stay right at the checkout area under the cameras until LE arrives , and in NO event will store employees search my person or purchases . If the store wants to accuse me of stealing well we can play this little drama out in front of other paying customers , and at an audible level i might add.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Retsupt99 +1...that has been my ROE from the start. Polite, but "no thank you"...drives my wife nuts...I'm trying to slowly break her of the herd mentality of following the sheep in front of you. The Best Buy guys are pretty good...and persistant, but I just keep walking.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    My wife used to work for Longs Drug and one day a female LP employee grabbed a shop lifter's arm as he exited the store and he quickly turned around delivering a devastating punch and literally broke her face! Crushed her cheek bone, knocked out three teeth and broke her nose.
    Not to condone hitting a woman I am not. The boxer did not know the gender of who was attacking him. The LP got exactly what they had coming to them. I went though the exact same thing years ago with a bouncer except it was he lost his knee cap. Grabbed my arm and I mule kicked him. Most of the bar hit he ground as it sounded like a gun shot. Being a little guy and a bit of a wus folks do not get to touch me in an unkind way or without my consent. Cost me a small fortune, back than was before I knew WA reimbursed legal fees for self defense
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I hate Wal Mart I just hate them. If I spent $50.00 in the last 5 years I would be surprised. Lead based garbage and employees that think they are all that and a bag of chips.

Wow.

There are some crazy LP people out there. Seems a lot of them think they ARE LE.

I would NOT take being grabbed and physically hassled by anybody. Especially if they don't ID themselves before hand. That is just asking to get hurt imo.
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Retsupt99 +1...that has been my ROE from the start. Polite, but "no thank you"...drives my wife nuts...I'm trying to slowly break her of the herd mentality of following the sheep in front of you. The Best Buy guys are pretty good...and persistant, but I just keep walking.
    To my knowledge, no state has any law that allows a retailer to demand to see receipts and inspect packages as customers exit. That said, there is no law to stop them from asking. SAM'S comes to mind as well as Wal-Mart (gee-note the connection).

I think your response is great.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Folks again the LP folks have a job to do , and if they cant it only costs all of us in raised prices due to loss . Most shoplifters dont know that they can walk off tho . So LP works well . They catch most of the teens , and some of the pros . I am willing to bet right now that few thieves have my attitude . At my Local Wallly world I am known by name and when someone screws up and the alarm goes off as i check out it can be heard " Thats " repairs " and you can ignore it . They dont even bother . It might help that my daughters room mate works in customer service now , and also that i am on a boycot of all wallmart and loudly ***** to the wife on any shopping . Hey i get looked at funny while i mention * deleted*suckers and mayors against gun owners . But heck if the wife can put up with it instead of going to a real grocery store i guess i can lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links