My Wal-mart Sit-rep (Semi-long read..split up into 2 posts)

This is a discussion on My Wal-mart Sit-rep (Semi-long read..split up into 2 posts) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SIGguy229 I do not want to stand in another line just to go out the door. I couldnt agree more. I thought ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Wal-mart Sit-rep (Semi-long read..split up into 2 posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post

I do not want to stand in another line just to go out the door.
    I couldnt agree more. I thought I was the only 1.

2. Remove Ads

When I was at Sports Authority, they brought in a new supervisor. He was real gun-ho about getting any shoplifters. So after rearranging a few cameras to get the hotspots, we finally caught one. A girl walked around with her big purse open for most of the time she was inside, and she picked up a pair of nike shorts. Barely even looked at them, then she shoved them deep into her purse, put the strap over her shoulder and walked toward the door. The "last chance line" for that store is just past the registers. If the perp walks toward the door from their, we stop them. So I pop out to stop her, and she came with us without a hassle. She was 17 so we had to call her parents. As I searched her purse for more merchandise, I found $10k in cash in it. My supervisor called her dad and the police, and told her whoever gets here first, gets her. Well, I told him that wouldn't go over well with the local PD. He didn't care. So the dad walks in, visibly upset and the police walk in seconds later. He tells the police that the parents arrived so he doesn't need them. My supervisor was 6'5", 240 lbs... the officer was a female 5'2" 120 lbs. She slammed him against the wall, pulled him down to eye level and chewed him a new one. She told him that he just used his free ticket, and if she ever heard him call the PD for anything short of a bomb or mass murder she would take him in for gross negligence among other things. I couldn't help laughing, and finished writing the girls no trespass and legal paperwork. I apologized to the LEOs and walked them out. We finished with the girl, and walked her out. I went back to the office and my super thought it would be a good idea to call corporate and blame the police call on me. I got up, and walked out to the main office, typed up a letter of resignation with a timeline of what transpired that day, faxed it to corporate with signatures from witnesses, and handed a copy to my supervisor. So, his one case while at my store, turned into my last day at that store, and my last day as an LP.

He got transferred back to his old store the next day, and for about 2 months my old store didn't have any LPs...

A lot of LPs let the "power" go to their head.
    The police didn't seem to like us at first (our store got a whole new team, cuz the old one got fired). It turns out the old LP team liked to just flash the thieves their badges and basicaly give the impression that they were LEO, they would "cut deals" and tell them that if they just gave up all the stuff and didn't lie they could get a reduced fine or sentence.

Once the police found out we were different they became friendlier.

My favorite part of LP is investigating the Internal theft. Its always fun to have a good run through the mall though.

We did have an unpleasant experience with an off duty cop tho. My LP supervisor is a very muscular Black man with cornrows. He dresses "gangsta" to fit into the crowd. I am a muscular, broad shouldered Asian with a shaved head. I also dress down to fit in with our shoppers. We were running out to get the license plate and direction of a car that a thief had jumped into (we had already called the police) When we burst through the front doors I saw this guy running towards us. As soon as he saw us run through the doors he stopped, bladed his body and swept his jacket back. I knew by his movements that he had a gun. I was thinking that this guy was an accomplice to the thief. As soon saw him reach I basically turned sideways and tackled by boss so that we fell behind a brick outcropping that was about 4 feet high. The guy says "Don't ------- move!" I then said that the police were on their way and he'd better get out of here. He said, Shut Up I am the Police. ( at this point I didn't know whether or not to believe him.) I told him that we were Loss Prevention for the store. I asked him what his badge number was he gave me two. His Shield Number and His Call Number. I knew that was how APD answered whenever I had asked one of them for a badge number before. So my boss and I put our badges and hands above the wall and slowly came up and I saw the guys badge on his belt. The guy looked at our IDs and then put his gun away. Some on duty cops showed up a couple seconds later. Our thief got away though.

So apparently the off duty cop thought my boss and I were gangbangers. He saw the first guy run out and get into the car and he thought we were with him.

We did talk to the officers sergeant later. Idk if he got in trouble we talked to an attorney too but didnt really pursue anything.

(He had a Stainless Steel Sig Sauer P230/232 . haha funny that thats the first thing i noticed after his badge.)
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

To the retail LPers: what are the corporate $$$ settlements for these bad stops? Seems to me the cost of one bad stop is more than MANY good stops. In today's litigious society, I would think you would REALLY want to cut down on the bad stops (or at least your company might).

If we get an NPD (Non Productive Detainment) we get fired no questions asked.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

In Florida, Businesses have the right to charge 3 times the amount of damages. Damages = Cost of merchandise + LP hourly wages for stop + legal fees + paperwork fees + video tapes. So for someone stealing a $20 shirt, the cost to them in the long run could equal well over $2000 dollars.
    I got served with a subpoena in a case at Walmart, and as LP, I only knew of the cost of lost merchandise. So when they sprung the monetary amount that the defendant was charged, I started choking. The guy stole 26 Playstations from my store on Xmas eve. The way we caught him was he and his accomplice decided that he would wheel the cart full of Playstations out to the garden center and toss them over the fence to his buddy with the car. Only problem was, our LEO that was assigned to our store liked to sit there and do his paperwork. So LEO is in his car, drinking his coffee, and BAM a playstation hits his hood. He hears someone yell "Did you get it?" He yells back yea, and caught all of them and put them in his trunk. Yelled at the guy to move it, and when the guy came out of the store, he saw my LEO and calmly walked by him, saw the Playstation and freaked out. LEO caught him, and dragged him inside to find his friend who took off.
    All in all... 26 playstations = $1600 dollars + other fees was over $14k.

The guy got convicted of Grand Theft.

On the flip side, when my supervisor put the guy in the hospital, the story was in our safety newsletter and Walmart settled out of court for medical + 75k.

Bad Stops are just that...Bad. We had another stores entire LP dept get fired for a bad stop, even the guys who were off that day. All because they stopped a teenager and brought him into the security room and threatened him with jail time for over 2 hours before calling the parents. Just because the kid refused to talk.

Quote Originally Posted by athos76 View Post
    Bad Stops are just that...Bad. We had another stores entire LP dept get fired for a bad stop, even the guys who were off that day. .
    Is it legal to fire someone for something when that person was not involved and wasn't even there that day?
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

Quote Originally Posted by kg4ghn View Post
    Is it legal to fire someone for something when that person was not involved and wasn't even there that day?
    If the state is an "at will" employment state, then yes--a business owner may fire an employee at any time for any reason (may not apply to unions or other contractual employment)
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Yup, Florida is at-will. I talked to a guy at unemployment that got fired for not saying "Good Morning" to his boss. He was hands in on a lathe with muffs on, when his boss got there in the morning. Everyone said Good Morning, and when he didn't the boss walked over, hit the kill switch on the lathe, and told him to get out. Only thing he could do...was go on unemployment till he got a new job.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    If the state is an "at will" employment state, then yes--a business owner may fire an employee at any time for any reason (may not apply to unions or other contractual employment)
    And as I recall, FL is an "at will" employment state.

-JT

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links