My Wal-mart Sit-rep (Semi-long read..split up into 2 posts)

This is a discussion on My Wal-mart Sit-rep (Semi-long read..split up into 2 posts) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I ran to Wal-mart, which is literally around the corner from my apartment. I can see the parking lot from the top floor. And ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Wal-mart Sit-rep (Semi-long read..split up into 2 posts)

My Wal-mart Sit-rep (Semi-long read..split up into 2 posts)

Well, I ran to Wal-mart, which is literally around the corner from my apartment. I can see the parking lot from the top floor. And two seperate things happened... one inside (employees) and one out (couple seedy BGs)
    Outside:
    I bought my things (Car polish and a Powerball) and headed out. Parked on the way to my Jeep were two cars with the hoods up and looked like someone was getting a jump. They were parked in the angle spaces nose to nose with the parking bumpers in between. I walked past one, and the door opened behind me, and as I approached the other car the door opened in front of me. I side stepped and walked in between to other cars while watching the two. One guy yelled to me and asked if I had any tools, and the other wanted jumper cables (when there was a set on the ground)
    I said no and kept walking. I got to my Jeep, unlocked the rear gate and tossed my bags in while watching them. They both closed their doors as they got back inside the cars, and did the little trap again as another man walked up. This poor guy was parked next to one, so his Driver's door was blocked. They wouldn't close the door till he would answer them, so he did the right thing, and walked back to the store. I sat in the Jeep for a second, eyeballing them to get a good desrip, and drove around the corner to the two LEOs that are always there. One left to find them while I chatted with the other. Minutes later he says to me "We have footbail gotta run" and drives off.

So all in all, I think I had Satisfactory SA, kept my Strong side free, and got the Popo involved. Now...for your reading pleasure...my other experience \/

2. Remove Ads

I ran inside to grab a Clay bar kit and Mother's PowerBall to wax my Jeep tomorrow. As I looked in the boxes of Clay bars, items were missing, so I pieced one together. I grabbed a Powerball, and saw a mini-powerball laying on the ground, so I picked it up and asked the resident employee about the price. Well, he said he would call a manager up front with the price, and I should just go up front. (Lazy)
    I grabbed my stuff and started up front. I held everything in my off-hand and as I walked the snack aisles, I noticed one guy keeping an eye on me. I used to work at Wal-mart as Loss Prevention so I know the techniques they use. I pretty much knew he was eyeballing the Clay bar kit since they are a high theft item.
    Well, I walk to the reg, ask for a manager and wait....and wait...and finally decided the mini wasn't worth it so I set it down at the reg and cashed out. As I walked to the door, I noticed the same guy outside, but no bags in his hand, and a manager. I went outside and they stepped in front of me and asked for my receipt. I gave them the classic "I showed it to the old guy" and kept walking. Then the loss prev rep grabs my arm, and says "I need you to come with me right now", I whipped around, and stepped away... handed him the receipt and told the manager to call a LEO. The manager said that was his decision, I said "Fine, I'll do it" and pulled out my phone. As I stood there and they looked thru the bags, the LP rep asked about the powerball mini...I pointed behind him at a register and said "If you were following company regulations you would have seen me set it down, therefore... you violated one of the main Florida regulations of keeping a constant watch on a potential shoplifter, and unless you can verify that I have stolen property, I'm out, and I'm calling District LP." Well, this freaked them out.
    I explained to the both of them, that I used to work LP at multiple locations and companies, and number one is constant watch...number two is never touch a person outside the property... number three...don't mess with an honest person who knows the rules.
    So I just got off the phone with Corporate, and gave them the name of the LP rep. I dropped a few LP names along the way to prove who I knew and how and they said he will be reprimanded and transferred and the end of the monthly cycle...with conformation numbers!!!

WRT post#1: good job. sounds like you did everything right, good SA, call(got) the cops, and proper tactics.

Post #2: well, that's just funny right there! Especially sense you know how the 'game' works. Those two deserved it.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Clay bar kits a high theft item!? I didn't figure many would know what a clay bar was, much less how to use one. Good situational awareness on your part during both scenarios. I get that spidey sense once in a while too. It's kinda cool you live so close to a real lively W-Mart. Ours around here are kind of subtle and really busy mainly on Sunday afternoons. Do the LP guys look like men in black?

I work LP. I can always pick out LP at other stores. Sometimes they are just so obvious. Its funny.

I wish I would get detained in a Bad-Stop. People have gotten a LOT of money from those kind of lawsuits.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

WTH is a clay bar kit
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

A Clay Bar kit is what you use to get impurities and crap off of your paint job to get a nice smooth finish before you apply wax. Looks like a bar of soap made out of playdoh...rub it on the paint to pull overspray, tree sap and dirt out of the finish.

I was kind of wishing I got pulled into a Bad stop... but I talked my way out of it. I would have loved to see the reaction on their faces when I hand the LEO my CWP and tell him I'm carrying.

Lead Moderator
    Wow , hands on that fast huh? I work LP too, but grabbing someone is a last resort, not a first step. Sounds like you handled both situations well.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

My last trip to Wally World was very similar. My wife, daughter and I went to buy a standalone hard drive .When we went in the alarm sounded but there was no one there to determine the problem. After we proceeded I heard it go off again. Picked up the drive proceeded to checkout. Paid, then had to take the box to customer service to remove the cable and alarm widget. Head out the door. The alarm went off and some employee came running. I refused to play their game at this point I owned the equipment and have already run through too many wickets. I told them I have one box and paid for it and went to C/S ... I explained that the entry alarm was going off when we got there and noboby cared to inquire. I asked them if they are making an accusation which they declined. First, I considered calling LE myself then I said I will just my money back. Which I did and the rep at C/S agreed the items was mine as I had paid for it. Then when we went back out the door the alrm went off again. Now if these boneheads had an issue to start with wouldn't they still have an issue? So, that is the last time my family has been to Wally World. I'm sorry either accuse me or leave me alone. One of the reasons it annoys so much is when they do look at the receipt and the "packages" they don't usually know their butt from deep center field. They just keep the honest folks honest by annoying them.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Along the same lines with the receipt... I usually go to the express checkout which is next to the exit. I was there one day buying snacks for a road trip, the elderly receipt checker was standing NEXT to me talking to the cashier when she handed me my change and receipt. As I grabbed my bags and walked away, the lady asked for my receipt. I kind of flipped out, and said "Weren't you just standing next to me at that register when she handed me the receipt?" She said she needed to check to make sure I purchased everything... I told her go ask the cashier and kept walking... she got upset and started yelling...but I couldn't hear her for long as I just kept going.

...sometimes if you're wearing clothing or have anything on you that still has one of those big square uncomfortable tags with the anti-theft device in a seam, they will set off those alarms as you walk in and out of stores! My daughter had just got a new jacket from my mother-in-law and this happened to us. Alarm went off AS WE ENTERED! I asked the nearest employee, "isn't that supposed to go off when we LEAVE?!!!" thankfully, they understood I was joking. I checked my daughter's jacket's neck, and lo, there was the big square tag. Cut it out when we got home, and never had a problem again! It might have been your fault the alarm was going off in the first place!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tamworth View Post
    ......It might have been your fault the alarm was going off in the first place!!!
    Fault is a very strong word. It turned out that my wife had something she had purchased from the drug store (not Wally World) and it had a device inside it. That store did not use the door alarm system. So, they did not disarm it. The BIG difference was there was no one there (and I looked for a nearby employee) when we entered who could say yep, it rang when they came in. Then they treated us like thieves and were very impolite. It IS NOT incumbent on me to work security for them. At Sam's club you agree to their nazi tactics at the door by "joining" the "club". However, in the Wally World, once I give cash and they give receipt it is no longer merchandise, it's mine. I have even had one of their employees say that to me when I asked about taking a bag of goods (mine) into the restroom where it says "no merchandise"... He said it's no longer merchandise.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

VIP Member
    My wife used to work for Longs Drug and one day a female LP employee grabbed a shop lifter's arm as he exited the store and he quickly turned around delivering a devastating punch and literally broke her face! Crushed her cheek bone, knocked out three teeth and broke her nose.

Long story short, the guy was arrested and subsequently the charges were dropped by the DA. The poor LP gal had three surgeries to put her broken face back together and a lot of dental work too. It turned out that the guy she tried to grab was a former boxer at the university here.

The whole thing was over a suspected theft of a pack of cigarettes... after that incident, there was no more "grabbing" of suspected shop lifters at that store unless it was at least two to one!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    My wife used to work for Longs Drug and one day a female LP employee grabbed a shop lifter's arm as he exited the store and he quickly turned around delivering a devastating punch and literally broke her face! Crushed her cheek bone, knocked out three teeth and broke her nose.

Long story short, the guy was arrested and subsequently the charges were dropped by the DA. The poor LP gal had three surgeries to put her broken face back together and a lot of dental work too. It turned out that the guy she tried to grab was a former boxer at the university here.

The whole thing was over a suspected theft of a pack of cigarettes... after that incident, there was no more "grabbing" of suspected shop lifters at that store unless it was at least two to one!
    Which highlights the question I have had while reading this thread...

I don't always know who is loss prevention and who is not.
    If someone comes up to me, and grabs me, that same someone
    is going to be wearing my fist/elbow or some other appropriate body part.

IS that legal? I don't know this person, they have not identified themselves before grabbing me. In addition, these days, just because they say they are security doesn't necessarily mean they are.

So, if I respond with a punch when grabbed, what happens then?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Which highlights the question I have had while reading this thread...

I don't always know who is loss prevention and who is not.
    If someone comes up to me, and grabs me, that same someone
    is going to be wearing my fist/elbow or some other appropriate body part.

IS that legal? I don't know this person, they have not identified themselves before grabbing me. In addition, these days, just because they say they are security doesn't necessarily mean they are.

So, if I respond with a punch when grabbed, what happens then?
    A store rep is getting a sore nose, and his company is getting a phone call from my lawyer......if I'm in a good mood, if in a bad mood, well...could be much worse.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links