Plastic Knife Brandished At Me.

This is a discussion on Plastic Knife Brandished At Me. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; And how did you know it was plastic so fast and from far away? Did he bend it or something?...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plastic Knife Brandished At Me.

And how did you know it was plastic so fast and from far away? Did he bend it or something?
    "...trying to get a long gun into play while someone is all over you like a monkey eating a cupcake is not very conducive to good survival techniques." ~Bark'n

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    You looked away? From some one being threatening with a weapon? Anyone threatens me with a weapon gets a lesson in manners.
    You turned away? Really? That is really hard for me to imagine. Are you really depressed?
    I repositioned so that I could see him from the side, I also had a friend that had a direct line of sight of him the entire time. Another guy that we know was siting right next to the guy and would have gotten him from behind if he started making his way towards us. We also had decided that we would use the legs off a empty stool at our table if he charged us. If I wanted I could have stared this guy down and escalated the situation, that's not my goal in life.

Quote Originally Posted by puncho View Post
    When he brandished the knife I just looked away and acted like no big deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by athos76 View Post
    So you never know whos gonna do what... even if your polite to someone they could take it the wrong way.
    Someone threatens me it is a big deal and I WOULD NOT have looked away. As you and others note "you never know whos gonna do what" so without being confrontational start putting some distance between you and the BG while calling LE. I would ask them what they would do not this forum.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

If he pulls a plastic knife, I suppose I can shoot him with my plastic gun (it does have some metal)

Last night I was at a local sports bar and a crazy guy brandished a plastic knife at me. This guy was 6 foot 4 and 260. Now if you know anything about shanks, you know that a snapped off plastic knife could kill you. Based on what the guy was it appeared that he was angry that the Red Soxs had several former Marlins players on the roster. All I did was turn around and look at him when he was yelling to try and figure out hat he was yelling about. When he brandished the knife I just looked away and acted like no big deal. Several people saw him do this and were truly scared, he wasn't joking or playing around, he was angry at the world. What would a LEO done if he was called? No one was drunk, or drinking very much, including him.
    The bottom line is it worked out OK. Next time though back away to a safer distance before taking your eyes off a BG with a knife. You did right in not escalating the situation, and diffused the situation by backing off. The Cops, if called, would have arrested this guy. I tend to agree with most of the other folks here on this one. Not only would I have tried to de-esclate the situation, like you did, but would have headed to the parking lot, with my knife in hand, where I could more easily have defended myself if called upon to do so.

Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

I repositioned so that I could see him from the side, I also had a friend that had a direct line of sight of him the entire time. Another guy that we know was siting right next to the guy and would have gotten him from behind if he started making his way towards us. We also had decided that we would use the legs off a empty stool at our table if he charged us. If I wanted I could have stared this guy down and escalated the situation, that's not my goal in life.
    OK, was a little concerned. Sounded a bit suicidal wanted to be sure the post was not a cry for help. Being the trusting person that I am when people touch me in an unkind way or threaten me with a weapon, I take them at their word and eliminate the threat. I'd rather be 86'd than be cut. Getting cut sucks, especially now a days once you have open wounds who knows what the whack job will expose you too. IMO you should trust people more and not make them prove they mean what they say. You are right about the stare down its a silly game why escalate when you can finish it.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    OK, was a little concerned. Sounded a bit suicidal wanted to be sure the post was not a cry for help. Being the trusting person that I am when people touch me in an unkind way or threaten me with a weapon, I take them at their word and eliminate the threat. I'd rather be 86'd than be cut. Getting cut sucks, especially now a days once you have open wounds who knows what the whack job will expose you too. IMO you should trust people more and not make them prove they mean what they say. You are right about the stare down its a silly game why escalate when you can finish it.
    What would you have done to end the threat?

What would you have done to end the threat?
    Depends. What is his age physically condition, how drunk is he, what is he doing exactly to many variables to give a conclusive answer not in a bar shot him barring that, snap his knee cap, break his arm, feed him a rack of pool balls, gut him, gotten him to peruse me to the car where the gun is legally kept, run him through with a pool stick as I said depends on what the options are
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links