Plastic Knife Brandished At Me.

This is a discussion on Plastic Knife Brandished At Me. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last night I was at a local sports bar and a crazy guy brandished a plastic knife at me. This guy was 6 foot 4 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plastic Knife Brandished At Me.

Plastic Knife Brandished At Me.

Last night I was at a local sports bar and a crazy guy brandished a plastic knife at me. This guy was 6 foot 4 and 260. Now if you know anything about shanks, you know that a snapped off plastic knife could kill you. Based on what the guy was it appeared that he was angry that the Red Soxs had several former Marlins players on the roster. All I did was turn around and look at him when he was yelling to try and figure out hat he was yelling about. When he brandished the knife I just looked away and acted like no big deal. Several people saw him do this and were truly scared, he wasn't joking or playing around, he was angry at the world. What would a LEO done if he was called? No one was drunk, or drinking very much, including him.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    He's lucky he was in a bar. If he did that in an area that's not as gray (for CCW) as an establishment that sells alcohol, he might have been shot! Depending on how you brandish a thick telephone book, it could be considered a weapon in most jurisdictions. Whether the perp is drunk, semi-drunk or sober only changes the degree, not the act.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    He's lucky he was in a bar. If he did that in an area that's not as gray (for CCW) as an establishment that sells alcohol, he might have been shot!
    Well, I dunno if it warranted getting shot over unless he actually directed his anger towards you and approached you at the same time. If that was the case, dont do that in Utah, we can carry legally in bars here. Some people are just plain stupid and have no idea how close they come to death sometimes.
    Last edited by Rcher; September 17th, 2008 at 11:02 PM. Reason: verbage
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

shoot him with some "plastic" bullets,actually he could be arrested for aggravated assault,that knife might be plastic but could kill if plunged into your chest.I might of called the cops somebody that gets that angry over a game has issues
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I would either have moved out of the immediate area or left the bar...not worth the effort to argue with a 'wacko'...

Stay armed...plastic can kill...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I had a brother in law that got stabbed up pretty bad in a restaurant with a butter knife. The BG intimidated my bro in law into not pressing charges (no ID of the BG). The same guy stabbed a guy to death in a bar parking lot with a sharpened spoon handle. Weapons are whatever someone has in their hand. Plastic as in a McDonalds plastic knife is also different that the composite pig stickers that are meant to pass through metal detectors. Those are as deadly as anything metal. Gun trumps knife, but being that you were in a bar, you were likely unarmed and vulnerable.You may want to reassess your priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by puncho View Post
    Last night I was at a local sports bar and a crazy guy brandished a plastic knife at me. This guy was 6 foot 4 and 260. Now if you know anything about shanks, you know that a snapped off plastic knife could kill you. Based on what the guy was it appeared that he was angry that the Red Soxs had several former Marlins players on the roster. All I did was turn around and look at him when he was yelling to try and figure out hat he was yelling about. When he brandished the knife I just looked away and acted like no big deal. Several people saw him do this and were truly scared, he wasn't joking or playing around, he was angry at the world. What would a LEO done if he was called? No one was drunk, or drinking very much, including him.

#1 Stay out of bars. Watch TV & drink at home.

#2 If you disregard #1, mind your own buisness and let other people say what they want to say.

#3 If you have to interact with people in a bar, be polite.

#4 If you had to defend yourself, the police would have likely have arrested whoever was standing and taken the other guy to the hospital, then arrested him after his ER visit, then let the lawyers & the judge deal with the issue.

#5 Stay out of bars.

#6 I know lots about shanks, edged weapons and assorted fun things that can injure other people. You will likely not run into them if you stay out of bars.

I'm not saying don't drink, lord knows I like scotch...but drink at home where your risk of running into beligerent people is limited to your seeing a reflection in the mirror you don't like.

Nothing worse than old chiche' (sp) I got into a bar fight. People have been killed or TBI by a full beer bottle to the head.

When I was stationed in Arizona, myself and 3 other friends used to go off post to the local biker bar and play pool and darts and get some cold beer. We found the place while mountain biking, and the bikers that frequented it loved the fact that I parked my Huffy 10 spd mountain bike in between all theirs.
    So when we came in, we always got a hello from the bartender and the usual guys would wave. After going there for a few weeks we got to know the locals.
    One day, we were playing pool and trying to get the bikers to bet some money and not pretzels (which they loved to do.) and a guy walks in, sits at the bar and orders a triple whiskey. Bartender obliges and walks away.
    One of the bikers had his drink at the bar next to the guy but was in the john, and he came back out. He walked up, grabbed his beer, said hi and walked over to another spot (not wanting to sit so close when there was room)
    About 2 minutes later this new guy gets up and walks over to the biker. He whispers something in his ear and sits down. Biker laughs it off. A few more minutes pass and the guy gets up, walks behind the biker and all I saw a quick jerk off his hands and he ran out. The biker dropped to his knees.
    Turns out the BG had a sharpened toothbrush from prison. Hit the biker twice in the side. The bikers caught him running down the road, but contrary to what most people would think, these guys held him down and waited for the cops.
    Guy just got released from prison on parole, and was headed to Mexico to avoid any more crap. He picked the wrong bar. The biker told us that the guy whispered "Why'd ya move? Do I smell?" and apparently when he laughed about it, it insulted the guy.

So you never know whos gonna do what... even if your polite to someone they could take it the wrong way.

Oh, biker was fine... he had plenty of padding from the days of pretzels and beer... Just a couple new scars on his love handles.

Quote Originally Posted by athos76 View Post
    So you never know whos gonna do what... even if your polite to someone they could take it the wrong way.
    This really was the case in this situation.

The place is family oriented and is the place everyone goes to after little league games. They only sell beer and wings, no liquor. No bikers or trouble makers, I would be interested to know what the cops would have done if called.

You turned your back to him?!?

Grab your drink and personal effects and move to a different table across the bar where you can keep half an eye on him if you choose to stay. Never turn your back to anyone who remotely threatens you...ever.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Crap, one of the worst cuts I ever had was from a plastic knife. I couldn't believe it.

Why wasn't PD called?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

My surefire and blade would have been real handy until I could get my group to leave. I don't take threats very well and would have been making my way to my truck!! Where I have a lot more rights, and the means to defend! Some people don't think(period)! I'm doing everything in my power to avoid the pointy end of any weapon.
    I think the main difference in us (the one's that decided If I have to choose, I choose me) is we know when to walk away for their safety and stay out of the system. I would have never turned my back on anyone that has produced a weapon with me in his sights!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by puncho View Post
    When he brandished the knife I just looked away and acted like no big deal.
    You looked away? From some one being threatening with a weapon? Anyone threatens me with a weapon gets a lesson in manners.
    You turned away? Really? That is really hard for me to imagine. Are you really depressed?
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links