My recent SHTF situation - Page 2

My recent SHTF situation

This is a discussion on My recent SHTF situation within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went out and bought an extra propane tank, that way I'll always have a full one ready to go even when I'm using the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My recent SHTF situation

Administrator
    I went out and bought an extra propane tank, that way I'll always have a full one ready to go even when I'm using the other. I'm also restocking my battery supply, and researching portable generators.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Schwebel View Post
    I dunno if what happened truley classifies as SHTF, but my SHTF supplies and mindset got me through it easly. Didn't know what else to call it...lol. PLease move mods if not in the right spot.

Well this weekend the area where I live in Ohio was hit with 75+ mile an hour winds. It uprooted trees and tore roofs off. More importantly it left 800,000 people without power. In the city I live in, only about 25% of us had power on Sunday. Also alot of the power trucks were sent to Texas to help with Ike. I lost main power/cable until Wednesday night.

Gas stations could not pump gas, restaurants lost their food, almost all stores were shut down, phones did not work, Traffic lights were out, government was all but shut down, schools were closed....etc etc. So people were scrambling like maniacs to any place that had food/water/supplies. Long lines and what ever place was open was out of everything. Shelters were put up....and all just because there was no power for a couple of days,...some places still do not have power. Where I live was hit pretty hard. But what amazes me is how unprepared people are.

I however had my "sanctuary". I have a 3 car detached garage that is equiped with a generator, a stockpile of food, water, fuel, medical supplies, a "sleeper" couch and my Xbox 360...lol. My neighborhood emptied, everyone left to stay with people who had power. There was only my one neighbor who hung out at my place during the day. Good thing no one decided to loot, it could have been "open season". Of course I had my 870 and AR nearby just in case.

I couldn't imagine if something major happened like a tornado, terrorist event, or if the zombies took over. Just not having power turned people stir crazy. I work in an ER and it was super packed all day and all night. People were asked not to come in unless it was truley an emergency, but we had people calling the squad for sore throats and sprained ankles. The ambulances ran non stop, and everyone was in a crappy mood.

Glad I was prepared, armed, and safe. Several years ago I would have been in the same boat with everyone else but thankfully I have learned my lesson about being prepared and taking responsibilty for my own well being. Hopefully others will as well.
    Are you a member over on AR15.com? If not you should be, you would fit in great

Nice work by the way!

Good job. Stay prepared. Last winter, here in Kansas. We had an ice storm that left some without power for 10 days. We had generators and extra supplies of firewood at each home for our relatives. We used tractors to get around and got buy with some extra diesel we had set aside for an emergency.

Be prepared. Be safe.
    You can't fix stupid. Ron White

Senior Moderator
    http://adph.org/CEP/assets/EmergencyPrepGuide.pdf

A little Emergency Preparedness Guide I help put together.

The thing that worries me the most is when people panic, they become unpredictable.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post

The thing that worries me the most is when people panic, they become unpredictable.
    This became very evident with the tiny speed bump encountered this past weekend.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Generators are hard to come by during a storm like this. Lots of folks will be buying them during the next month or two, and then in about 6 months there will be lots of them for sale on craigslist and ebay. Of course the generators don't do you much good if you don't have the proper extension cords or proper wiring to get things hooked up. You might just be causing yourself more trouble than it is worth.

Well my wife isn't as puzzled any more as to why I bought a generator a year or so ago. I mainly use it for deer camp to run the A/C on the popup camper. It will run two rooftop A/C's and has a DC circuit for charging the battery bank that we keep out at camp. We don't really rough it at camp, have to bring your own water and electricity but have all the modern convienences or most of them out there, they are just not as nice as the ones in the city.

But after loosing power a couple of times and this last storm of Ike rolling through. Being able to run the freezer, fridge and a portable A/C unit for the den, some lights and a radio, she was pretty happy with the little generator. I guess I could have hooked up the tv and satalite if we had gotten that bored but there was plenty of other things to do.

If you have the laptop battery charged, and have your wireless router and modem on a battery backup, only turning it on when needed, you can still have internet connection for several hours as long as the phone or cable lines are still up.

Having gas grills and or smokers, and being able to cook lots of different things on them goes a long way too. With a couple of extra propane bottles you can cook a long long time. You should never have to miss a hot meal if desired.

The last resort for us would have been to simply move to the motor home. With a 6500 watt generator, and nearly a full tank of gas, and a full propane tank, we could have probably stayed there for a week or two if needed. We could always rob water from the pool to flush the camodes if we had to. I guess if push came to shove it could be boiled and drank also.

Since we were only without power for over night and a bit into the next day, all of those things were either loaned out or offered up to friends and family to make their lives easier. They were invited over to our house for meals and whatever else they needed.

As long as our house and everything wasn't completely blown off the map, we should be able to hold out for a while depending on how many other folks came over and used supplies.

The line gets drawn at the stash of beer, if they expect me to share that, then they have to leave.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Winter storm, move the food outside.

Gas or even charcoal grill will cook anything.

Water is a tough one, learn to live with BO.

Food...I will worry when I am down to the can of Spam.

Oil lamps and candles for light. White gas lantern if you are smart.

I grew up spending a lot of time at the family cabin in the mountains. 25 yards to the outhouse, 75 yards to the artesian spring, cook on the wood burning stove, and obviously no power. Any time of year (6 feet of snow makes it interesting).

If that kind of situation ever hits Denver, I will stay as long as I have supplies, then head out of town. Anarchy hits, I head for the cabin.

I still laugh at the stupidity of the people during Katrina, walking around town waving at the news helicopters "Get me outta' here!" Umm, you are already walking around, head North!
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by PcMakr View Post
    As soon as power was restored, the stupid ones took them back to the stores for a refund! They hadn't learned anything.
    Great time to get a deal on generators. In fact maybe make an investment and buy a few spares to sell at quadruple retail at some future date.
    With the financial crisis of the past weeks along with the storms down south we have been evaluating our disaster preparedness.
    We have a well and generators (one hooked up to the house and well. Another on the Airstream. But we still store water. In gallon jugs and the Airstream 100 gallon tank stays topped off with treated water. Kind of a shame because our well water is so sweet. The generators are run on propane but can be switched to gas if we had to. Alternate heat and cooking is propane as well. If the power is expected to be out for an extended period we would move to the Airstream to conserve as well as give us a head start if we need to bail.
    SIXTO's idea about getting a spare propane tank is a good one it is our weak link as it is the only source of fuel we have
    I was talking to the wife about putting together multiple redundant survival stores. When my wife reminded me that we already do. Sometimes I have a hard time with 2 + 2 We love to road trip and camp. I keep the RV stocked with food and supplies, so I can hook it up and hit the road at a moments notice. Also one of our sheds is the camping shed I have separate camping supplies and food for the car, for the bike and for hiking. Our redundant supplies duhhh
    One of the reasons we bought this property is that it is at the military crest, I paid good money for about five acres that is a 800 foot bluff so that there is only one really practical way to get to our house. Gives us a nice view of the Olympics and the Sound too. Across the dirt road from our property is a bit over 200 acres of undeveloped state land, a fair trade off IMO. We think we would probably be better off staying here if the SHTF but the Olympic Nations Park is just a mile or so away and with the RV we could live out the rest of our days in relative comfort and safety if need be. To that end I have dug a couple of caches over the pat few years some with spare tools in case the commies try to confiscate our tools at some point. Have a fair stock of ammo but I am thinking that I need to learn how to reload. Looks like I need to end my rambling here, as you can tell the upcoming election and the chance of a second great depression has been on my mind a great deal lately. Probably sounding more and more like a survivalist whack job to most people as a result.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Back in 1958 I was in an Army school in MD but was in the hospital. There was an ice storm and the power was off for I think about 3 days. I was an outdoorsman, and had Coleman stoves and fuel plus my wife always had a pantry full of food. She and our two children got along OK except had to wear heavy clothing and sleeping bags in the night. Of course the hospital had emergency generators so I was comfortable, but she did well also.

We have always had the necessities for survival as long as most outages and problems last. Have not needed them since, but it is always comforting to know they are there.

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    http://adph.org/CEP/assets/EmergencyPrepGuide.pdf
    Have you seen "the Mist"? Steven King gives a truly awe-striking insight into human nature.

"You don't have much faith in humanity, do you?"

"None, whatsoever."

"I can't accept that. People are basically good; decent. My god, David, we're a civilized society."

"Sure, as long as the machines are working and you can dial 911...
    ...But you take those things away.. you throw people in the dark, you scare the **** out of them... no more rules."

"As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another. Why do you think we invented politics and religion?"

I live in NE Ohio and I felt rather unprepared that night. We had plenty of flashlights and glowsticks, but No water to speak of and the nearest real PD station was in Aurora or Solon not exactly good response times...

I spent the night in a lawn chair on a balcony overlooking the front yard, spotlight in my hand, Kalashnikov in my lap.

You just never know...
    We are only as vulnerable as we are naive.

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    Ya here in N. Ky right by the ohio river most of our town lost power too. We were lucky enough to keep ours here in my neighborhood but all around me was out. I am really thankful that I was prepared ahead of time for what ever came my way as you never know what is going to happen. Many people around me said that they were leaving not just the city but the state to go stay with family because they lost power. no biggie for us even if we lost power we still had enough generator power to last a while LOL!
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

De inimico non Loquaris sed cogites.

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Slimz13 View Post
    "As a species we're fundamentally insane."
    I find that by assuming that perception is accurate, whether it is business, social, riding my motorcycle, driving or planning my families survival. I am often pleasantly surprised, rarely disappointed and always prepared.
    As we now have generations who have not been taught to really understand self sacrifice, obligation, duty, honor, and integrity. There is an increased probability that people will conduct themselves in a selfish, self centered, self serving manner with little or no internal self restraint. Or compulsion to do the right thing to aid another. My guess is that a majority of people conduct themselves in a law abiding fashion because they are afraid of the consequences (moral development of a two year old) and not because it is the right just and honorable way to live.
    If my preparations to deal with marauding immoral hoards bent on rape robbery death and destruction turn out to be unneeded. It simply means I have more resources to bring in more game for more people for a much longer period of time.

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    I find that by assuming that perception is accurate, whether it is business, social, riding my motorcycle, driving or planning my families survival. I am often pleasantly surprised, rarely disappointed and always prepared.
    As we now have generations who have not been taught to really understand self sacrifice, obligation, duty, honor, and integrity. There is an increased probability that people will conduct themselves in a selfish, self centered, self serving manner with little or no internal self restraint. Or compulsion to do the right thing to aid another. My guess is that a majority of people conduct themselves in a law abiding fashion because they are afraid of the consequences (moral development of a two year old) and not because it is the right just and honorable way to live.
    If my preparations to deal with marauding immoral hoards bent on rape robbery death and destruction turn out to be unneeded. It simply means I have more resources to bring in more game for more people for a much longer period of time.
    Well said.
    My Great Grandfather lived through the depression and along with shrewd thrift he taught me the concept of opportunity cost in reguards to being prepared.

What might it cost you to carry a gun? Worst case: You embarrass yourself by dropping it in public and get a few suspicious questions.
    What might it cost to not carry a gun? Worst case: A shooter kills you, your friends, your family, and everyone else in the building.

What might it cost you to install an extra deadbolt on the side door of the house? Worst case: $10 and 30 minutes of your life.
    What might it cost you to NOT install that deadbolt? Worst case: Your life, the life of your family, your pets, your wife and daughter(s) could be raped, horrifically tortured and killed or any combination of the above.

When you break down the cost of action Vs. inaction, you would have to be insane not to take simple precautions. Which to me explains a great deal..
    We are only as vulnerable as we are naive.

Guess I'm lucky...live on a boat

For long term "getting by" w/o power from shore, I have a 7.5 KW diesel generator, propane stove/oven with 2 tanks upstairs on the flybridge. (one tank lasts about 18 months for stove top use). 240 gallons of water and 420 gallons of diesel fuel on board. The generator burns about 1/2 gal/hr. Cruising range is 900 miles.

A bit like the lucky ones with fully equipped RVs. I can always leave the dock and anchor out for extended periods should a SHTF scenario come to past. Not wild about MREs but canned stores work with huge storage lockers. Oh yes, and a sweet little M1 Carbine.
    Last but not least; lots of recorded movies on Tivo and a bunch of DVDs.

My very first post here...great web site !!

Quote Originally Posted by flaboatbum View Post
    My very first post here...great web site !!
    Welcome aboard. Used to live on a boat in my younger days. Smaller than yours a 31ft Flagship Owens. Still was a blast can only imagine how nice that must be in a warm climate. Would still love to have a world class sail boat. That is the ultimate SHTF houseing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links