My recent SHTF situation

This is a discussion on My recent SHTF situation within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I dunno if what happened truley classifies as SHTF, but my SHTF supplies and mindset got me through it easly. Didn't know what else to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My recent SHTF situation

My recent SHTF situation

I dunno if what happened truley classifies as SHTF, but my SHTF supplies and mindset got me through it easly. Didn't know what else to call it...lol. PLease move mods if not in the right spot.

Well this weekend the area where I live in Ohio was hit with 75+ mile an hour winds. It uprooted trees and tore roofs off. More importantly it left 800,000 people without power. In the city I live in, only about 25% of us had power on Sunday. Also alot of the power trucks were sent to Texas to help with Ike. I lost main power/cable until Wednesday night.

Gas stations could not pump gas, restaurants lost their food, almost all stores were shut down, phones did not work, Traffic lights were out, government was all but shut down, schools were closed....etc etc. So people were scrambling like maniacs to any place that had food/water/supplies. Long lines and what ever place was open was out of everything. Shelters were put up....and all just because there was no power for a couple of days,...some places still do not have power. Where I live was hit pretty hard. But what amazes me is how unprepared people are.

I however had my "sanctuary". I have a 3 car detached garage that is equiped with a generator, a stockpile of food, water, fuel, medical supplies, a "sleeper" couch and my Xbox 360...lol. My neighborhood emptied, everyone left to stay with people who had power. There was only my one neighbor who hung out at my place during the day. Good thing no one decided to loot, it could have been "open season". Of course I had my 870 and AR nearby just in case.

I couldn't imagine if something major happened like a tornado, terrorist event, or if the zombies took over. Just not having power turned people stir crazy. I work in an ER and it was super packed all day and all night. People were asked not to come in unless it was truley an emergency, but we had people calling the squad for sore throats and sprained ankles. The ambulances ran non stop, and everyone was in a crappy mood.

Glad I was prepared, armed, and safe. Several years ago I would have been in the same boat with everyone else but thankfully I have learned my lesson about being prepared and taking responsibilty for my own well being. Hopefully others will as well.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Hey Schwebel, I was getting ready to post about the same things, what I saw, what I learned about the recent "crisis" here in Ohio. If you don't mind, I'll piggyback with your thread to better compare notes.

First thing, I'm in SW Ohio. Second, also like you, I got to see a lot of peoples reactions to the "crisis" and how they react.

I'm an LEO, so I saw the people before they were shipped off the the ER. It was almost comical how people called the squads for pretty much nothing... ours did run non stop. Although my home never lost power (by pure luck) the town I worked in had none at all. I spent pretty much 36 hrs straight at work.

This was a huge learning experiance for me, as I have never dealt with anything so widespread. I've dealt with floods, tornandos, chemical spills etc, but all were very local. This was a first time an entire region was taken down for a few days.

More to come...
    "Just blame Sixto"

Well, off to Cheperthandirt.com for me, I need to stock up more. Plus it will be fun to watch my kids eat MRE, MWAHAHAHAHAHA!
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Administrator

Thumbs up

Way to go Schwebel.

Good Ol' American Self Reliance...Rugged Individualism...and The Pioneer Spirit. ~~~> Good Man!

We had better never lose those valuable/necessary attributes.
    SO Many already have and are totally helpless and completely dependent on others.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    SO Many already have and are totally helpless and completely dependent on others.
    This was what totally amazed me. So many acted like complete morons when a luxury in our lives was lost for a very short term.

Others did just fine, but like always, the morons slowed repairs down and were a thorn in everyone else's backsides.

I saw people fighting over gas... when gas was going to be available in a day or two, or they could just drive about 20 minutes and fill up with no problem.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Plus it will be fun to watch my kids eat MRE, MWAHAHAHAHAHA!
    My silly kids like 'em. Hope they never have to live off of those darn things for a week with no conditioned air, MTV, cell phon.............. then again..........?

Glad you made it through it OK.......actually, it sounds like you did really good.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I was over at a friend's house watching the last 0:03 of the Colts game when we lost power. At least they stopped the kick return.

Needless to say we were bummed that there would be no post-game Rock Band on his 360 (although there was a discussion involving car batteries and inverters. ) I did learn how to play P-knuckle though. Power at our house only flickered, but the office didn't have power back until Tuesday.

Glad to hear you made it through in style!
    "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

me
    I did pick up MREs for myself here in Texas a few days before the storm just in case I ended up with out power and needed them or if I ended up running emergency calls (fire/ EMS) all night. Thankfully we just got a glancing blow.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

As the Boy Scout motto states, "Be Prerared." It's truly amazing how many people become helpless when something relatively simple like a power outage occurs, even for a short period of time. Here in tornado alley, if the tornados don't get us, the wind, floods, or ice will. After surviving a few of these conditions, some will finally understand what they need to do to get by. Others that depend on the gov't. for everthing probably won't. Then there are those that due to age or other infirmity can't. Those are the ones I often worry about.

Several years ago, we had a really bad ice storm here in south central KS. We live out in the country, and when we built the house we had it wired to accomodate hooking up a generator to a transfer switch. For whatever reason we did not lose our power on our side of the road, but neighbors on the other side did. I offered my generator to an elderly couple, as long as we had power, and then if we lost power, we would take turns using it to keep freezers and fridges going. They refused my offer; said they had been through this before and could get by. Judging by their age, they had probably been through a lot worse (depression of 30's). After 10 days without power, they accepted my offer. As luck would have it, their power was restored about 6 hours later.

People in the city were buying up generators as fast as stores could get them in. As soon as power was restored, the stupid ones took them back to the stores for a refund! They hadn't learned anything. The next time we had severe winter storms predicted, everyone went out early to buy a generator, except the stores put up signs, "No Returns, unless defective." The proprietors did not want to get burned again.

You just can't fix stupid, and you can't legislate intelligence.

Every hurricane is the same...if you go to the store, there will be no batteries, no water, no generators, no TP, and the food shelves will be depleted. If this is just for a hurricane, what's going to happen if it is a real SHT scenario?
    Anyone who can't live for a few weeks...minimum...is just asking for real trouble. OMO

Stay armed...have plenty of ammo...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I agree with everything that has been said. I've seen the aftermath of lots of stuff. Recently Katrina and Rita destruction and victims. I'm a long way from the WTC in NYC, and the ripple's from the economics, mail, purchases, etc, affected us all the way here in Louisiana. Imagine something bigger happening in a major city or simultaneously in multiple cities.

My philosophy is simple. Strive to be totally independent in emergencies and preps for as long as possible. You have to do the A-Z approach and prepare for anything. Don't put so much emphasis on just firearms and ammo, they are only one chapter in the book.

In today's times modern conveniences have spoiled many and made them too dependent. Imagine 150 years ago a family that lived in a log house deep in the woods. If some/many of the major cities at the time were to suddenly "shut down" those folks in the log house wouldn't really be affected. In today's world if the same were to happen society would suffer greatly.

We've achieved technological advances but sacrificed our resilience and independence at the same time.

Congratulations to those who stay well-prepared.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Nothing gives your family a greater appreciation for the creature comforts of our modern lives than a power outage. No running water for showers, or the toilet. The food starts getting warm, theres no TV!!! Its a great experience for all that I prolong for a little while by making like I cant start the generator! Cheap thrills I guess...
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

Administrator
    Even the U.S. Govt asks that ALL Americans keep a minimum of 3 days food and drinking water available at all times.

The vast majority of the U.S. population will never even do that.

Two or three days of the food trucks not being able to make deliveries and...how do you spell the beginning of a complete "general population" societal melt~down?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    I had to laugh at yet I felt sorry for those wondering around looking for a McD's... because they couldnt microwave anything.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I never had a generator before this past spring. We had a big storm that took out power in wide regions . . . and then our house had a limb fall down on the power line, stripping off the power lines to the house.

Since it was just one house (in the midst of larger areas w/o power), we were at the bottom of the list. It took nearly five days to get it back on. Life was weird, but not terribly complicated.

A few weeks later we lost power again. This time for just a little over 24 hours. But I took my emergency stash of cash and bought a generator I could afford. No way am I giving it up. In fact, I like that idea of having some MRE's around just in case. Might just have to do that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links