Jumped after Fireworks

Jumped after Fireworks

This is a discussion on Jumped after Fireworks within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a buddy who took his teenage son and some of his son's friends to a firework show on the Ohio river in Newport ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jumped after Fireworks

Question Jumped after Fireworks

I have a buddy who took his teenage son and some of his son's friends to a firework show on the Ohio river in Newport KY. After the show ended, while walking back to their car, a group of young men/teens crossed the street and assaulted them. Thumped them pretty good real fast and then took off. When my friend recited to me the nights events..he asked me what I would have done?... I would like to know what you folks might have done?
    JB..."Carry On!"

I'd have been carrying a cocked & locked 1911 along with at least one if not two spare mags.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    I'd have been carrying a cocked & locked 1911 along with at least one if not two spare mags.

- Janq
    Same here.....excepta G23and at least one spare mag.

Good SA may have given them a heads up as to what was coming.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Step 1: A definite reminder to the thugs that they would be looking down the barrel of a .45 if they didnt keep moving.

Step 2: If they insisted .... prove it.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Why would anyone let themselves be approached like that?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    +1 to whats been said thus far. Just gotta have your head on a swivel and be prepared to act.

And story's like this illustrate why I hate public events. For no other reason than that some people see them as a chance to "act out" in the anonymity of a crowd. Or as a target rich environment.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by jbradford1 View Post
    After the show ended, while walking back to their car, a group of young men/teens crossed the street and assaulted them. Thumped them pretty good real fast and then took off.
    Not quite sure what "thumped" means. If it means assault or robbery then, at least in Texas, the brandishing and use of a firearm to prevent it would be legal. If it means they ran by them and hit them as they ran away, then that doesn't present a legal threat that would justify deadly force or the threat of deadly force.

Even SA can fail you if the culprits are not obviously threatening. If they can claim they were just going where you were, even if they look scary, then pulling a gun on them can only get you in trouble. Being ready to pull a gun, making sure you are facing your antagonists, those are appropriate. If a group of punks wants to rush at you put your backs to something so you are facing them and make sure they see you are ready to respond. Just like a menacing dog will back off when confronted, these young wolves will usually do the same. Then call the cops. Let me say that again. Then call the cops. Punks are getting smarter and they have learned that if someone with a gun spoils their plans they can get them in trouble by calling the police and reporting someone with a firearm. If you are ready, but do not produce the firearm because they back off, no matter how obvious it was to them you had a gun hidden under your cover garment with your hand on it, that is just a guess on their part.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

I would like to know what you folks might have done?
    Situations like this are why I carry and train. Nobody is required to take an attack, multi-person or otherwise, lying down. Nobody is required to meekly accept a lethal threat and not protect their lives.

If I see it coming, I will do all that's required to stop the attack in its tracks ... no matter what it costs the BG's. It's the commitment I made when I first started to carry. The lives of my loved ones are worth that commitment.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; September 21st, 2008 at 11:41 PM. Reason: spelun and grammur
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'm an old geezer and a basically friendly guy....(Even we like him.)

I don't want or need the exercise program provided by a young gang of thugs. Once the thugs (in that scenario) started approaching...and I would notice them...they would be warned to stay back.

Here in FL, the Castle Doctrine and the concept of disparity of force is enough for me to end a threat...and I would define that situation as a real threat.

If the head/first thug didn't get the idea that I was very serious, his lead magnet alarm warning system would get activated. I don't go looking for trouble, but I am going to do anything necessary to insure my trek back to the home base is successful.

Stay armed...be prepared...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigiceman View Post
    Not quite sure what "thumped" means.
    I think it means whipped, pounded, beat down, roughed up, mauled, pulverized, thrashed, smacked around, ate some knuckle sandwiches, or just plain injured by someone's fists. Ergo, assaulted.

I would have told the ruffians to stop! Back off!. Then if I had to I would defend myself as necessary.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

At my age a thumping could be the end of me and running away an impossibility. Actually, that's why I carry guns. It's also true I probably would have been home cozied up to some Single Malt and would have missed the whole event anyway.

Number one, better situational awareness, never let them get that close.

Number two, A .45 1911 can work in your favor, as can a good knife for close in work.

Number three, watch the WEBN fireworks from the Ohio side (sorry, just had to do it).
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I agree with all that has been said,

first of all i'd tell my wife and the kids i'm fixen to turn and tell this folks to stop you guys just keep walking.

Would have turned around told the dudes to stop, if they kept coming the 40 would be out, I would shoot the one with a knife or the wannabe knucklehead then ask the rest to get down with there face to the ground or they would be next.

keep in mind, I don't attend places like these..
    Read my story.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ed-1994-a.html

Pictures in page 5 & 6

I have a buddy who took his teenage son and some of his son's friends to a firework show on the Ohio river in Newport KY. After the show ended, while walking back to their car, a group of young men/teens crossed the street and assaulted them. Thumped them pretty good real fast and then took off. When my friend recited to me the nights events..he asked me what I would have done?... I would like to know what you folks might have done?
    I follow the Rule of Stupids:
    1. Don't Do Stupid Things
    2. Avoid Stupid People
    3. Avoid Stupid Places (Places where #1 is encouraged and # 2 congregates)

But, that's me. I socialize with friends (close) and family, and have no desire to increase my exposure to A-holery outside of my professional capacity.

Having said that, the situation is challenging: if one sucessfully took down the first one/two assailants, it would be a matter of pride and one-upsmanship for the others. Watching pretty lights isn't worth the hassle (financial/legal) of killing someone. Lose-lose scenario.

I would have:

1) Try to keep my distance from "groups" of potential threats by picking the direction I walk in or circling around if possible
    2) Had my OC in my hand as a first deterrent and display my gun
    3) Pray I don't have to shoot anyone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links