Things getting dangerous around here. Need options.

This is a discussion on Things getting dangerous around here. Need options. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There are some simple things being overlooked. Plant roses and other thorny plants outside each and every window. Make sure windows can't be opened without ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Things getting dangerous around here. Need options.

VIP Member
    There are some simple things being overlooked. Plant roses and other thorny plants outside each and every window. Make sure windows can't be opened without breaking the glass...don't use bars because they could trap kids in a fire. Have good (and multiple) dead bolt locks on all the doors and make sure kids won't ever open for anyone but a family member or the cops--and then only if the car is marked and obviously the real deal.

If possible, re-arrange some of the family duties so adults are home more of the time.

YOU wrote that the kids are home schooled. If so, there would be an adult in there most of the time when others are working during daylight hours.

Get a meaner dog for outside, and keep at least one of the others inside at all times, preferably two--except when they must be let out.

I like the idea of making a safe room but expense could get in the way.

Can you put unrolled barb wire around the perimeter of the existing fence, just inside, so if someone jumps it they will get tangled up? There might be some liability in that, and I did once have a dog get hooked, but that is a nice (if not mean) and inexpensive way to protect a fenced yard from jumpers. I also like the idea of electrifying some of the fencing; or just hang the warning signs.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    They would probably be in the den, doing their school. My room is connected to the den, and between the two rooms, only one of the two doors lock and there is also a small window set up high. They generally don't need assistance with their school if the instructions are clear. They don't open the door for strangers either.

More info on the break-in; they broke in during the afternoon during a three hour opportunity while the owner was gone. They also got some DNA from some blood on some broken glass.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

getting dna is always good.hope they are caught.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Cheap solution. If their MO is kicking down doors, protect the door by getting a 4 x8 x3/4 sheet of plywood. Cut it in half. Get a large box of big nails & drive them thru the plywood to make a "Bed" of nails' Drill 2 holes in the nbed and fix to your porch or deck with lag screws or bolts. Install it whenever you won't be around.
    Please contribute to the continuing destruction of Liberty. Vote Republican or Democrat.

Some of this has already been said
    Motion lights
    internet cameras these will give LEO necessary evidence in case something happens
    the dogs will defend
    you may want to consider geese or turkeys we have turkeys that attack all strangers they provide good warning and distraction. Get breeding pairs and eat the kids

No trespass signs, you can can download and use these )KeepOut.pdf or KeepOut.jpg
    Print them out laminate them and post them, Keep the gates locked hide a key where EMS or PD can get them if need be
    Emergency only cell phone. You just need a cell phone and do not need to pay for service to call 911
    Write out a 911 script for the kids to read it will help if the are panicked and afraid. Write a couple of versions start with name address where the key is and than sister is hurt or we are being attacked.

They are old enough to use the guns teach them gun safety. Keep at least one loaded snatch and fire gun available. Use of pepper spray and tasers is a bad idea IMO inside they are more likely to gas themselves than an assailant they should not be outside if being attacked.

Teach the kids to not ever let anyone in. That they are never to let anyone see the guns they are not to be used to make some one leave. If someone does not leave call 911 and stay inside if anyone comes in they are to shoot them and to keep shooting as long as they keep moving.

Some kind of martial arts class would be a very good idea. Amazing how fast kids learn and how effective they can be. BG just do not expect 11 year old girls to snap their legs like twigs
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

More info on the break-in; they broke in during the afternoon during a three hour opportunity while the owner was gone. They also got some DNA from some blood on some broken glass.
    a 3 hour opportunity? i bet these burglars knew your neighbor and his routine.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

i used to live in a rural area for about 15 years. here is what I did:

• First and foremost get a good gun safe. The walls must be at least 10 gauge steel at a minimum, bolted into the slab if possible in a confined location to prevent swinging sledghammers or pick axes to penetrate the walls. The idea is to prevent a quick breach.
    • Having weapons around the home are OK, as long as the residents are well trained in their use and practiced on their access. Personally, I had only my carry gun within my immediate reach at any given time, which brings me to the next part of my strategy.
    • My wife and I both knew that the primary place to make any defense was the master bedroom closet, which i had seriously reinforced during the construction of the house. I had a safe door with a combination lock installed; I lined the inner walls of the closet with 3/4" plywood, and lag bolted the panels to the studs. I also ran 1" rebars through the studs 8" apart in the walls of the closet to prevent anyone trying to saw their way through to get in. Basically the master closet was a "panic room". In this room I had the heavy weapons stored (Shotgun, etc.). I also kept a trac phone with enough minutes to make as many 911 calls as necessary in case the phone line was cut.

I hope this info helps you, I think total I spent probably 8 or 9 thousand dollars on all of the modifications (safe, closet, etc). The whole idea is to buy yourself time so help can arrive. Or, if you are not there, prevent the thief from having all the time in the world to steal your possessions.

Good Luck whatever you decide
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

when i was younger, my family and friends had this deal that if someone wanted to come over, they called first, or the door never got answered. to this day, if i'm not expecting someone, and theres a knock at the door, i wont answer it.

the way i see it:
    1) if its someone i know, they know to call me.
    2) if its something important, and i don't know them, odds are they will persist. LEO will keep knocking if they want to talk to you
    3) if its unimportant, take a glance out the window as they walk away.

but i like the "call before you knock" idea. flood lights are great deterrents, and normally cheap. i like the idea of the "homemade saferoom" with the barn door latch, i think it was.

another thing i just thought of is that ANY cellphone can call 911, activated or not, all you need is a charged battery, and signal. i keep an old prepaid cellphone between my driver seat and center console in case of an accident. charge it up once or twice a month and check it every few days to see if it has a charge. something like that isnt a bad idea in that worst case sen.
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links