Things getting dangerous around here. Need options.

This is a discussion on Things getting dangerous around here. Need options. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live on a rural country road about 10 minutes from the city. I just found out that a neighbor about an eighth of a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things getting dangerous around here. Need options.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar

Things getting dangerous around here. Need options.

I live on a rural country road about 10 minutes from the city. I just found out that a neighbor about an eighth of a mile away was broken into a couple days ago. Kicked the door right in. Of course this raises concerns. My dad is a firefighter/bailiff, so he is away a good part of the time. My mom works a couple long days of the week around the weekend and is about to be gone for a week. I work full-time and only one of my classes is not online (one evening a week), so I'm not home all the time either. The people that are home are my little brother (11) and sisters (15 and in a wheelchair, 9), and the 3 friendly dogs (not super security dogs, but they might bark). They are home-schooled. So the kids are home alone a good portion of the time. Uncle lives in trailer next to house, he works as well, so he is gone except for the early morning and evenings, but he probably wouldn't be able to tell if something was wrong. There are usually at least two vehicles in the driveway even when everybody is gone and we change the positions regularly.

There are a half-dozen hunting rifles/shotguns throughout the house. No gun safe unfortunately. I'm open to suggestions on how to secure them. Some of the more available guns are a large, bolt action shotty a closet by the front door and a Ruger 10/22 upstairs. I have an AR and 870 in my room (I keep the handguns with me both away and at home). I don't feel comfortable thinking that the guns would be able to be used effectively by the kids if needed. My little brother sorta knows how to work them.

Of course the doors stay locked. I think a cell phone would be in order in case the land line is cut. The property is fenced and has three gates. The gates could be chained and locked. IT'S NOW that my parents are starting to think of fortifying the "Castle". What other security measures do you all suggest?
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

2. Remove Ads

Cameras, lights with motion sensors, reinforced door locks, hinges, and framing, security alarm system, a real dog, a gunsafe or cable locks on guns that are not being used for security(preferably attached to something not easily movable, and some training for the kids about when to answer and not answer the door, and possibly training on how to use the shotgun.

Obviously, not all of those are cost effective or viable for your present time, but it should give you a few options. If their MO is to kick down doors, you might want to start with reinforced framing, or a secondary door with security bars.

One of those cheap Protected by ADT signs might be a good idea, even if you don't have the system.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

If the children are mature enough to stay home alone...teach them firearm safety and how to shoot......they should know all about 911 and 1911.

If the need should arise, they wouldn't be the first children to defend the home front. OMO

Stay armed...learn self-defense...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Speaking as a father who homeschooled his daughter, there is ABSOLUTELY NO QUESTION in my mind about this: the kids should be trained in how to use weapons to defend the family. Nine years old may be a bit young for first-line duty, perhaps, but most 11- and 15-year-old homeschooled kids I know would certainly have the maturity to learn and exercise appropriate judgement. We put my daughter through the CCW class at 19, for example, even though it would be of no use to her for a permit before she's 21, and sent her off with two pistols when she moved out. I wish I had started her with formal training earlier - including IDPA and the like.

Of course, the suggestions above are all excellent: the door reinforcement sounds like a great project for your next evening home. But consider this as a great opportunity for an addition to the homeschool curriculum as well.

I know you're looking for immediate answers. The stay at home kids should be taught 911 first. The oldest, how to use the shotgun safely, and the rest not to mess with it, and go to a safe room. While your contemplating ideas to secure your weapons such as previously suggested, if I were you, I'd keep them in the attic in 30gal trash bags, rake some insulation from between the bar joists, lay them in between the joists and cover again with thin insulation...all of this way away from the access hatch, and if there's an attic light-remove the bulb. You could also lock the gates with chains and padlocks, but think about if your children have an emergency and ambulance personnel, rural fire department, or the county sheriff needs to gain access. You need a little peace of mind up front before you begin your search for the security and other items. Also....ask your local sheriff department if they mind doing some extra patrols in your neck of the woods in light of recent events. Most will do this as a courtesy. Just a marked unit slowly cruising the country road is a possible deterrent for those who would be scoping out the area day and/or night. Might also see what it would cost from your rural electric company to put up a yard/security light on their pole, or set a new one. Usually the cost is around $8 per month extra. Take care. I'm rural, but not as rural as you are.

your kids are more than old enough to know how to defend themselves in the home. teach teach teach
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Teach each kid how to safely use the firearms.

Also, those 'friendly' dogs won't stay friendly when their family is attacked.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Get beware of dog and gun owner signs and post them!

My wife and I have arranged our schedule so a parent is always home. Sucks, but it's the only way I feel safe. Wouldn't trust a kid under 18 with a gun unless I was there watching (overprotective....sorry) and a guard dog may turn on anyone...like my mother-in-law (hmmm...maybe not a bad idea). Just my 2 cents. And get a safe!!! A taser or pepper spray would be safer for kids i think??

There is a "fake" security system sign out front already. I have no doubt that if things got violent that the dogs would attack. But I think that if somebody came through the gate and towards the front door, that they would only bark and would quite down if talked to nice. It's been a while since I've seen them react to a stranger, but I am not too impressed with their awareness. They are Australian Shepherds by the way. Three outside, and one inside who thinks he's a rug.

My brother (11) and littlest sister (9) go to the range with me every once in a while (they love the P22, but it is being borrowed by a friend at the time). I've had my brother run from one side of the house to my room and chamber a round in the AR occasionally. He doesn't feel good about the shotgun because it is too big (28" barrel) and he's afraid of the recoil even though he hasn't shot it yet, but he's shot an old Topper model 12gauge many times. He's a scrawny little booger so I think that the AR would be much better for him; pull charging handle and pull trigger 30 times. While they've both shot the M&P, I think that a long gun would be their best option as it is easier to control and operate. I've been trying to get them out to the range recently, but I guess I better try harder. They might be coming with me to the gunshow this weekend, so maybe after that. I've though about a false wall in my room for my guns and locking the rest of them away.

I also had them practice dialling 911. I have underground power lines, but the phone lines are not.

Good advice so far, thank you, and keep it coming!

You didn't mention the 15 y/o's abilities other than wheelchair-bound. I kinda assumed she could wield a firearm too...

In any case, I don't have much to offer, I'm afraid. My kids are 11 & 14. They are taught to get to my bedroom if possible and arm themselves. Then move to what I think is the most defensible position and the youngest calls 911. (I put a phone right there, and they each have 1/2 of the code to get to the guns) Don't know if it's ideal, but it's the best I've come up with so far.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Home depot sells 3/8" thick tubular sliding steel deadbolts for heavy farm gates, doors & the like at around $11 a pop. They install in seconds and because of the price you could afford to put several on both sides of the door, giving you a quick, dirty re-reinforcement that would help buy time.

Picture 3 or 4 of these around the frame of the door:
    (these are roughly the same design, but much smaller than the ones i'm referring to)
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Slimz13; September 23rd, 2008 at 08:55 PM.
    We are only as vulnerable as we are naive.

can you give any details about the break in that happened close by?
    did it look like some stupid punks did it or was it well planned and a lot of valuable items taken by BGs that knew what they were doing?
    was anyone hurt in this break in?
    try and find who and what you're up against. what did the neighbor or police say about it?

i agree w/most of the suggestions above, just make sure you have a plan and you are all on the same page if something does happen.
    Last edited by stormbringerr; September 23rd, 2008 at 08:57 PM.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

The 15yo really can't operate a gun well at all. She's sensitive to loud noises and holding a gun isn't really easy for her as it throws off her balance (forget about long guns). The P22 is about all she could handle. She has Spina Bifida, so she's disabled from the bellybutton down, and has problems raising her arms up high.

From what I've heard, the thieves only took computer stuff and not any of the other electronic or valuable stuff. I'm trying to find out if there was more. No, no one was home and I'm not sure what time it happened.

My opinion would be to make your wheelchair bound sisters' room into a safe room for all your other siblings. Reinforce that room keep a firearm ready to go, cell phone, charger, etc..If anything happens they can all meet in that room

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links