Real scenarios discussed in CCW class

This is a discussion on Real scenarios discussed in CCW class within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Off duty cop finishing a run goes into stop&rob - carrying concealed. While in line an armed robbery takes place and everyone is ordered on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Real scenarios discussed in CCW class

Off duty cop finishing a run goes into stop&rob - carrying concealed. While in line an armed robbery takes place and everyone is ordered on the floor. He notices the thief's gun is uncocked and is confident he can draw and fire. Decides not to b/c thief doesn't seem about to blow up and really doesn't want to kill anyone unless absolutely necessary - instead decides to be a good witness.

Kicker: Thief says something. Man behind cop, with shotgun, says "all clear" and they walk out. Cop never noticed man behind him until it was all over.

Cop witnesses McDonald's manager brought into office at gunpoint. He gets everyone out of restaurant. Confronts BG as he is exiting office with gun in hand. They exchange gunfire and cop survives.

Kicker: 9 yr girl killed in parking lot by BG stray round. Cop tells story around country and asks rhetorical question, "Did I save a life/lives, or cause the end of one?"

Possibilities that really make one think. The rhetorical question is one I'd never want to answer myself. It would definitely be hard to live with that. We're all human.

Can't judge what to do in the next scenario based on the last 10 you've read about...none are the same...I guess you have to be there.

Stay armed...all that thinking in just a second or two...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Train and practice ... you never know when you will call on those skills to save your life or that of someone else. Then you must pray that you made the right decision.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Cop witnesses McDonald's manager brought into office at gunpoint. He gets everyone out of restaurant. Confronts BG as he is exiting office with gun in hand. They exchange gunfire and cop survives.

Kicker: 9 yr girl killed in parking lot by BG stray round. Cop tells story around country and asks rhetorical question, "Did I save a life/lives, or cause the end of one?"
    Neither.... the cop did his duty. The BG shot a little girl.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnKelly View Post
    Neither.... the cop did his duty. The BG shot a little girl.
    indeed

Do you have references for those scenarios?
    I'm asking because I'm looking to become and instructor and those sound like some really good scenarios to use.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

One thing that this brings out is that the Officer had tunnel vision on the first BG and was not aware of the one behind him with the shot gun. This is why we have to practice Situational Awareness all the time. We must know what is around us at all times. The BG were responsible for the death of the little girl, The Officer did what he was trained to do. If you or I (those not being officers of the law) Have the more of an option of standing down and not getting involved. Unless the BG look like they plan to Kill people or hold Hostages sometimes it would be better to just be a good witness.

How is the BG allowed to return fire? I am assuming that the LEO has an obligation to apprehend. I have no such obligation, my obligation is to terminate the threat
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    How is the BG allowed to return fire? I am assuming that the LEO has an obligation to apprehend. I have no such obligation, my obligation is to terminate the threat
    +1!

More likely the BG fired the first shot.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Anyone who has been in combat knows the best op ord ends with first contact. The best we can do is to train our brain to think as quickly as possible when shtf so we can do what is necessary.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by threefeathers View Post
    Anyone who has been in combat knows the best op ord ends with first contact. The best we can do is to train our brain to think as quickly as possible when shtf so we can do what is necessary.
    I also put it another way...a plan is only good until the first bullet is shot. Or better yet...if it is stupid, but works...its not stupid.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    I also put it another way...a plan is only good until the first bullet is shot. Or better yet...if it is stupid, but works...its not stupid.

Rick
    As they say in Boxing, "Everyone enters the ring with a fight plan. After the first solid punch has landed; all bets are off"!

Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

I have been, as we all have, in wierd situations where things catch us off guard, or without time to plan and think other than reflexively. Training and considering tactical scenarios is key. But, with the best of that, and being human there are only two things I take comfort in 1) searching out any fault on my part 2) realize that I made the decision that seemed best for the circumstances at the time, without the benefit of hindsight. I acted upon the intelligence I had at the moment. Information gained after the fact could not have influenced my actions . . . . save for next time.

Any flaws here?

H@H
    Last edited by hickatheart; September 30th, 2008 at 09:39 PM. Reason: fine tuning

As the saying goes, hindsight is 20/20. Everyone will either act according to the situation as they believe it to be. They may choose to draw and engage, or do nothing besides be a good witness. About the original post, what kind of shotgun was BG#2 carrying? Kind of hard to believe that one would miss someone carrying a full length shotgun. OMO.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links