Katrina: Would you surrender your guns?

This is a discussion on Katrina: Would you surrender your guns? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by LongRider There is no logic in any gun grab, gun control measure. All those decisions are emotion based, not fact based. If ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Katrina: Would you surrender your guns?

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    There is no logic in any gun grab, gun control measure. All those decisions are emotion based, not fact based. If any logic was used the same conclusion you had would be seen by everyone, That gun control, gun bans or grabs create unarmed defenseless human beings. Once the public figures out that feelings are not facts and makes fact based decisions we will be able to force the politicians stop infringing on our 2A rights.
    Ummmm isn't the logic to create unarmed citizens? To say gun bans don't work is ridiculous. They work great! They make citizens more apt to comply.

Michael

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Ummmm isn't the logic to create unarmed citizens? To say gun bans don't work is ridiculous. They work great! They make citizens more apt to comply.

Michael
    OK to rephrase the obvious Gun Bans & Gun Grabs do not work in a free nation
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Resistance of a free people defending their liberty is never futile. No army will ever defeat a people defending their homeland, short of using nukes and total extermination.

I tip my hat to you sir.
    We are only as vulnerable as we are naive.

When I bought my Glock. Salesman was pointing out how a different weapon was more durable. Then I had a gut check. I'm no rambo. It is more likely I will fail before the Glock. The Glock can weather more then me. Same thing when THEY start doing what ever. More likely I'll be one of the first ones taken out of the picture.

I'd like to say no, but I would hand over a few.

I would lie about the hunting weapons and shot guns. The pistols are all registered. Not sure what I would do (& it sucks).

Years ago I had a chance to aquire unregistered .38 Spls. Had 2nd thoughts about it. I figured the odds were higher having them would lead to trouble then the odds of big brother knocking at my door for my guns.

In the end, I trust the government (in the long run), because frankly, I would more then likely be one of the dead patriots.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Missouri Revised Statutes
    Chapter 44
    Civil Defense
    Section 44.101

August 28, 2007

Firearms and ammunition, state of emergency, no restrictions permitted.

44.101. The state, any political subdivision, or any person shall not prohibit or restrict the lawful possession, transfer, sale, transportation, storage, display, or use of firearms or ammunition during an emergency.
    NRA Life Member

I didnt see alot of resistance when California confiscated the "assault rifles" a few years back.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Slimz13 View Post
    I was reading a thread about gun confiscation during a natural disaster, and it really got me thinking.

Suppose that day comes that we all fear.. when you have armed representatives of any the US govt in your front yard demanding your firearms, would you give them?

Further suppose that you were in the middle of a Katrina-equivalent event, having witnessed looting and numerous violent crimes within line of sight of your home.

I know there are federal laws in place now to prevent this, but we all know that it only takes on person to miss the memo and besides, no one is going to stop to debate legislature in the middle of a crisis zone.

I find it hard to believe that I wouldn't comply with the demands of a squad of the National guard's finest, but at the same time, isn't that what the second amendment is all about?

Provacative Gunowners article
    When they come to my door I will say , I had a lot of
    guns and ammo , but I gave most of them to my neighbors
    and you are now in a cross fire zone !!!
    I strongly suggest you leave

Your see, 1000 gun will not help you more than two or
    three will ,but you can put them in the hands of the oppressed!!
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Quote Originally Posted by ASSA9 View Post
    When they come to my door I will say , I had a lot of
    guns and ammo , but I gave most of them to my neighbors
    and you are now in a cross fire zone !!!
    I strongly suggest you leave

Your see, 1000 gun will not help you more than two or
    three will ,but you can put them in the hands of the oppressed!!
    I like that approach. It makes them take into account more than just the occupants of THIS house.. might make them a tad more understanding.
    We are only as vulnerable as we are naive.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I didn't see a lot of resistance when California confiscated the "assault rifles" a few years back.

Michael
    They didn't "confiscate" them in CA - they "registered" them. And truthfully that was a vanishingly small possibility of them noticing that one had not registered one's "assault weapon."

On topic, it seems to me that the central decision that one must make in considering this question is whether one is going to meet the Gun Confiscation Squad unarmed (thus allowing them to freely assault you with deadly weapons utterly without consequences, and possibly confiscate your guns) or meet them fully intending to use their own rules of engagement which would necessitate being prepared to kill them without hesitation if they so much as twitched their weapons in your direction.

Obviously, it would also be a good idea to have armed neighbors who were all willing to act as a group to prevent LE from disarming any one family.

The difficulty is that we have gradually allowed the government to freely enforce (and thus define) a double standard for acceptable behavior with weapons for themselves [apparently based on the idea that when they brandish weapons and commit assault, this is perfectly acceptable] while if "civilians" were to act toward an officer in exactly the same manner given exactly the same provocation, the shooting of the civilian would of course be justified, "because he had a gun." This is exactly the same mentality that accepts (without questioning) silly edicts like, "only LE may buy body armor."

It is the cognitive dissonance of treating agents of the government as lawful agents of the government, while they operate completely outside their lawful authority that causes the question to be difficult.

It is likely that there is actually no answer to the original question posed in this thread - because once you let yourself enter a situation where multiple others are armed and you are not, then you really don't have a choice.

Possibly, the "correct" answer to this question is, "Well, after we surrounded them at gunpoint and confiscated their weapons, body armor, clothing, and shoes, sent them packing, and redistributed the newly-acquired equipment among the neighbors, no one else from the government came to 'help' us."

But that would require more resolve than most people have.

Interesting question, though.

Dex
    Last edited by Dex Sinister; October 18th, 2008 at 01:03 AM. Reason: perfectionism
    Dex }:>=-

Lightningwear Deep Concealment Holsters: http://www.lightningwear.net

Wow, excellent post Dex. Pretty much cuts right to the core of the issue.
    Jack

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links