Katrina: Would you surrender your guns?

This is a discussion on Katrina: Would you surrender your guns? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was reading a thread about gun confiscation during a natural disaster , and it really got me thinking. Suppose that day comes that we ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Katrina: Would you surrender your guns?

I was reading a thread about gun confiscation during a natural disaster, and it really got me thinking.

Suppose that day comes that we all fear.. when you have armed representatives of any the US govt in your front yard demanding your firearms, would you give them?

Further suppose that you were in the middle of a Katrina-equivalent event, having witnessed looting and numerous violent crimes within line of sight of your home.

I know there are federal laws in place now to prevent this, but we all know that it only takes on person to miss the memo and besides, no one is going to stop to debate legislature in the middle of a crisis zone.

I find it hard to believe that I wouldn't comply with the demands of a squad of the National guard's finest, but at the same time, isn't that what the second amendment is all about?

Provacative Gunowners article
    We are only as vulnerable as we are naive.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Slimz13 View Post
    Suppose that day comes that we all fear.. when you have armed representatives of any the US govt in your front yard demanding your firearms, would you give them?

NOPE.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Administrator
    Nope, they woud be gone long before "they" come for them and I would probably be gone too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'd give them one or two (that I didn't care too much about anyway) and say I sold the rest years ago. They couldn't prove otherwise, and they sure won't be finding my hiding spots. I'm in a pretty rural, heavily forested area.

Why? Because the Second Amendment does not have a provision for "times of emergency".

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Even facing instant arrest? Picture it, you've got four National Guardsmen with m-4's and an officer knocking on your front door demanding any firearms you have in the house... if you offer any form of violent resistance you could be shot on the spot.

Obviously you wouldn't surrender any they didnt already know about, but your currently trying to keep looters from trashing your house. You've probably got your AR15 or Rem 870 slung over your shoulder and your pistol of choice holstered on your leg/back/whatever. They can see you have firearms and they have been ordered to take them... What would you do?

Remember, this is a Katrina-like setting. Martial law. Looters, rapists, murderers everywhere. You for whatever reason are not able/willing to leave, so you have to stay and defend the castle.

This is a great thread...it really provokes thought and planning. I'm also interested to see everyone's response...I guess it really causes you to plan ahead and have some good secure hiding spots on your property.
    Condition 1
    "My weapon has never hurt anyone. It never will. If someone dies by my hand, it is my fault. The weapon is blameless." - Mikhail Kalashnikov

No.

I'd attempt to relocate forthwith.
    I'm as much in love with my house as I am my freedom and civil liberties. I'm out until the dust settles.

If I could go nowhere, lock down, then I have a $60 bb gun to throw that dog a bone...assuming I answer the door.
    Beat it, scram.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

No! Nothing says I have to answer the door. If I saw people coming down my drive, I would be non available. If they kicked in my door they would have to take the consequenses. I never open the door for strangers, they can beat on it all they want.

I was reading a thread about gun confiscation during a natural disaster, and it really got me thinking.

Further suppose that you were in the middle of a Katrina-equivalent event, having witnessed looting and numerous violent crimes within line of sight of your home.

I know there are federal laws in place now to prevent this, but we all know that it only takes on person to miss the memo and besides, no one is going to stop to debate legislature in the middle of a crisis zone.

I find it hard to believe that I wouldn't comply with the demands of a squad of the National guard's finest, but at the same time, isn't that what the second amendment is all about?

Provacative Gunowners article
    I can honestly say no. Me and my guns are inseparable. I wouldn't even consider handing over an 'appeasement or offering' to make them go away. Nobody will get any of my guns while I am alive. Anyone who would shoot to kill me out of my rights or property should be willing to accept the consequences. I'll stand my ground until the very end on principles alone. If 'they' realize this, they'll go on to the next house...if not, I guess I'd be found guilty of suicide by the powers that be. My only hope lays with God and not with man. I'll go if I must, for that would be my time.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    NOPE
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

The article mentions that LE entered the houses looking for people and guns. If you don't answer the door, its no guarantee they just move on to the next house. Man this is tough....

I would like to think that a violation of my rights during a temporary disaster like Katrina would be worth enduring to live to tell about it and maybe get reparations in a court of law afterwords. But even the law can be ignored or bypassed as we have seen.

I cant find it now but part of what sparked this was This Video and a news story recounting the story of a family that was stopped by police as they were driving thru New Orleans. The police asked if they had any guns and they stupidly said yes, locked in a case on the cargo rack with the rest of our valuables (they were fleeing the city).
    The PD/national guardsmen then proceeded to take the guns and smash them into oblivion on the nearby curb. When asked if they would be reimbursed the soldiers refused to comment and forced the family to leave the area.

And people assume that soldiers/govt. agents would not follow command that goes against the Constitution, against our own citizens.
    Uh huh, right.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

The short answer is "No".

The long answer is - I have an inherent / natural / God-given (depending on how you think about these things) right to self-defense, and the gun is easily the most effective tool I have to exercise that right. Were I to give up my gun, I would not be surrendering my right to defend myself, but I would most certainly be making it darned near impossible to actually do so against anyone other than someone who isn't really a threat to me in the first place.

Does it really matter what kind of clothes the "four guys" are wearing or who they work for when they come to your door with their guns, demanding you give over yours of "face the consequences"? Assuming I am your run-of-the-mill law-abiding citizen, there is no justification for anyone to take anything from me by force (or the threat of it), and I will resist the attempt to do so. See my sig line for a more eloquent version of this post...
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

That is exactly why I would not give up my firearms. Just because the gov't is asking for them does not mean they will get them. Just as soon as they take them away from every single criminal, I might consider the notion for a nanosecond and then decline.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links