Guy approaches my fiance and I outside of K-mart

This is a discussion on Guy approaches my fiance and I outside of K-mart within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My fiance and were visiting K-mart yesterday around 1900. I got out of the car and started to walk towards the entrance when I saw ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guy approaches my fiance and I outside of K-mart

My fiance and were visiting K-mart yesterday around 1900. I got out of the car and started to walk towards the entrance when I saw a 20 something man walking towards me looking at me as if he had a purpose. I went to condition orange and looked right back, thinking of my plan for if he drew a weapon, ie, step back, get in front of fiance, draw Sig, aim, give verbal orders if able . . . . and at the same time thinking, "Is this when my life depends on good old Siggy?" He slowed down and when he got around 10 feet he proceeded to tell me some sob story about how his car is out of gas and he is in Vegas for his dad's funeral, asking for a couple bucks etc, etc. I of course blew him off and my fiance and I walk into K-mart. After the event I noticed how carrying a gun has changed me. Before I carried, I probably would have saw the guy coming towards me and not think too much of it, or maybe just ignore it. Now I have a plan, I'm confident, and I know that I am not an easy target and pity the thug who thinks I am. Just thought I would share with you guys, I suppose this thread has no real purpose to speak of.
    "People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people".
    -- V for Vendetta

NRA Associate Member

if he was in town for his dads funeral he could just call a relative to help him.
    "An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by NickEMT View Post
    Just thought I would share with you guys, I suppose this thread has no real purpose to speak of.
    On the contrary. Sharing your experience helps others. Thanks for sharing and reminding us to stay aware and have a plan.

I agree I'm the same way.. I not look around all the time.. Create exit stratagies and prepare myself for anything.

Good Job! Stay Safe!
    ~XD-45 Compact~
    You might be weak but God is Strong!

he proceeded to tell me some sob story about how his car is out of gas and he is in Vegas for his dad's funeral, asking for a couple bucks etc, etc.
    I'm cynical, I know it. I think most of these guys are just after money. But, I offer to help almost everytime that I don't have my wife/kids with me. The ones that just want money don't want my help, because I don't give them money. I'll offer to follow them to the gas station and get them a couple gallons of gas. That should get them where they need to go. Those that refuse gas, when that is what they were implying they need (money for gas), tend to leave that area because they have been "made". It's cheap entertainment and might even discourage the con-man from trying that con again in that area.

I remember one guy that was sitting outside Taco Bell asking for money for food. He hit me up on my way in. I told him sure, come on in I'll buy him a burrito. He jumped on his bike and rode off, didn't say another word. He was caught, he didn't want food and didn't want to waste 30 minutes eating an unwanted burrito when he could be asking for money. Saw him again a couple weeks later in the same place, this time bugging people on their way out. I guess he figured people that were leaving would be a better mark, not wanting to waste time going back in. He bailed again when he saw me.

Now on a positive note, I ran into another guy on my way in and I offered him a burrito and a soda, he said sure. When we got to the register he asked if he could just get a taco instead of the soda, and maybe a cup of water. To this day, I believe that guy was legitimately hungry. He saw the menu and knew that what he was asking for was more food for less money than I had already agreed to buy so he would ask.

I don't mind helping a guy in need, I've been there myself, but I never give money. I know that I could be in danger every time I do help someone, but I go in aware and never risk someone else so I'm okay with it. It probably doesn't decrease the number of con-men out there but it does make it slightly harder for them to operate. It also helps out people that legitamately need the help so that's good too.

Thanks for sharing. Getting a permit to carry does change your perspective. I had pretty good situational awareness before my permit, but it is much better now, and like you I now have a plan that is more than just avoidance or hand to hand.

I agree with Tye on helping people. I will help, but I don't just give money if they say they need something else. I have given money but I more often will help someone with giving them gas or food. When I have given money I have to balance my cynacism against my christian ethics. Giving to someone who is in need is the right thing to do. It is what we would want others to do for us if we needed it that bad. If they are scamming they have to face the consequences of that behavior; I have done the right thing.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Had the same thing happen to me at HOME DEPOT....except the guy ran out of gas in the street in front and need 5 bucks. I told him to get in the truck and he could mow my yard for me and I would give he twenty bucks for gas........he moved on.......go figure.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

You let us hang?

So what did this panhandler do and/or say regarding your actions?

Stay armed...be alert...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

He probably plans to do a hit on his Dad to get his bucks.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

i notice that a lot of peoples awareness heightens once they start carrying.
    when I leave this Earth, It's gonna be on both feet; NEVER KNEES IN THE DIRT

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
    if he was in town for his dads funeral he could just call a relative to help him.
    great point
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tye_Defender View Post
    I'm cynical, I know it. I think most of these guys are just after money. But, I offer to help almost everytime that I don't have my wife/kids with me. The ones that just want money don't want my help, because I don't give them money. I'll offer to follow them to the gas station and get them a couple gallons of gas. That should get them where they need to go. Those that refuse gas, when that is what they were implying they need (money for gas), tend to leave that area because they have been "made". It's cheap entertainment and might even discourage the con-man from trying that con again in that area.

At $3.50 - $4.00 a gallon, someone is going to take you up on that one day.

I would rather have a guy come up to me and say, "I'm out of money and I wanna get blitzed, can you help me out?", then come up with some bs sob story. There was a bum here in Vegas for a while with a sign that said, "Names Willie, Need Beer". I would rather give money to him then some bloke with a tragic story.
    "People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people".
    -- V for Vendetta

NRA Associate Member

I am not an easy target and pity the thug who thinks I am.
    Discard the pity they will have none for you or your lady. Their attack will be vicious merciless be prepared to respond in kind. Those that threaten you and your family are vicious animals and need to to be dealt with accordingly. Reserve the pity for human beings.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I usually will do the same, offer goods instead of money, and usually the offer is turned down. The ONE time I did give money (still had the change in my hand from the sale on my way out), after getting in my car and pulling out of the parking lot, an LEO was putting the guy in cuffs around the corner...I stopped and asked out my window if I was the reason for his detainment and the officer explained that the guy had just punched a womans window out of her car when she refused to give him money, and that I was lucky I had some spare change.....I've always thought of myself as very self-aware and able to "read" people very well...and this guy just didn't look violent at all...goes to show you never know what people will do...

Ever since then I usually make it a point to inconspicuously put a little distance between me and said kind of people to avoid interaction all together.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links