Scary time at the mall in Memphis

This is a discussion on Scary time at the mall in Memphis within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was at the "old" mall in Memphis/Whitehaven, and taking back a vacuum cleaner to Sears that broke 2 weeks after buying it. Not an area ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scary time at the mall in Memphis

Was at the "old" mall in Memphis/Whitehaven, and taking back a vacuum cleaner to Sears that broke 2 weeks after buying it. Not an area I like going to, even if it was noon. Was on high alert (I thought), but my back window is tinted. As I quickly leaned into the back seat of my F-150 Crew cab to get the box for the vacuum (too lazy to disassemble it, so the upright vacuum was one item, the box and contents another), I lean back out to check my situation, and see that a car has pulled up perpendicular to the rear of my truck, effectively cutting me off from egress. To make things much worse, a very large guy (I'd say 6'6", 400, b/c I'm 6'5" and 255 and this guy made me look small) had already exited the passenger side and was at the back bumper of my truck. Female driver of the car, tinted windows, unable to see any other occupants. Now, with me standing by the open rear door of the driver's side of my truck, and the car parked next to me, I was in a hole, and immediately in condition orange, cursing myself for getting into this mess. Didn't take over 10 seconds to get there, and I really believe much less. I put on my gameface, scanning his hands first, then the waistline (T-shirt, oversized, baggy pants). He was WAY too close to me. I told him to back up a few feet, that I was not comfortable with him being so close to me. I put the vacuum between us on the ground about 3 feet in front of me (halfway between us) as he began to speak, scanned behind me, then stepped toward him enough to close the truck door. I looked again around my truck, continued to scan and adopted a strong stance; listened to him tell me about being in town from the Texas hurricane, no money, etc. Told him about my church and that they are getting all my donations for such folks, and that he can call them. He tried to talk around it to get money, but I "circle talked" him, and he eventually seemed to back off. He kept looking at me kinda funny, and looking at my right front pocket. After the incident, I realized he was seeing my Buckmark Sidewinder clip sticking out. Condition orange plan: with front foot, kick vacuum toward him on first movement to confuse any plan he might have pre-formulated, retrograde as I untuck and present, and give verbal instructions to stop.

As it turned out, he follows me into the mall, and peels off talking to someone else as we enter. Got me pretty hyped up, pretty fast....
    Last edited by Slabsides45; September 25th, 2008 at 05:07 PM. Reason: typo

Administrator
    These fools begging for money are more and more common; I simply point to the nearest McD's and tell them they are always hiring.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Things happen fast like that. Although we try and avoid situations like that, we can all get into a predicament in the blink of an eye. Some people have no concept about violating others' space or advancing towards folks with determination even with no ill intent. Good thing your spidey senses were activated. Glad things turned out okay.

good job!!

The odds were certainly stacked on that one. I think your plan was a good one, luckily you didn't have to test it out.

This is one more example of pulling forward to park, facing out. This would put the door in between you and the isle.

Glad it worked out and all you got was a rush and something to think about.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Regardless of where he came from...

You should study this article about Memphis.

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200807/memphis-crime

Very good reading.
    Mighty HD

Have read it, Mighty HD, and they're on the money. Funny how the leadership refuses to lead when it goes against the voting block that put them in power.

Thanks for the input, guys. Scared the poo outta me, after the fact. During the encounter, I remained very calm and made sure to look him in the eye. I'm not so sure that my demeanor didn't make him hesitate, as much as anything, b/c I just didn't let myself get flighty...

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty HD View Post

American Murder Mystery

Very good reading.
    Thanks for the link. That was a facinating article.

Southland mall is not the greatest place to shop. There is a permanent cop car stationed infront of the mall entrance and sometimes they move it near that last store far east. Cant tell which store that is but the car is always there. There is a reason Sears closed the West doors and painted them black.

Yeah, I don't let my wife (who, for whatever reason, loves Sears) go there without me, and I'm always on alert when there. Now, even moreso.

On a side note, it literally took over 90 minutes for me to get that stupid vacuum exchanged, not including my experience in the parking lot. They didn't have anyone to authorize, they couldn't find another model just like it, the walkie talkie battery was dead, the girl was new... Oy.

VIP Member
    All too often people will blow off a situation like that and even say, "what's the big deal, he was only asking for help".

I think you handled it well taking command of the situation.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Dude..It's impossible for him to move that fast... 6'6", 400

Quote Originally Posted by Slabsides45 View Post
    Was at the "old" mall in Memphis/Whitehaven, and taking back a vacuum cleaner to Sears that broke 2 weeks after buying it. Not an area I like going to, even if it was noon. Was on high alert (I thought), but my back window is tinted. As I quickly leaned into the back seat of my F-150 Crew cab to get the box for the vacuum (too lazy to disassemble it, so the upright vacuum was one item, the box and contents another), I lean back out to check my situation, and see that a car has pulled up perpendicular to the rear of my truck, effectively cutting me off from egress. To make things much worse, a very large guy (I'd say 6'6", 400, b/c I'm 6'5" and 255 and this guy made me look small) had already exited the passenger side and was at the back bumper of my truck. Female driver of the car, tinted windows, unable to see any other occupants. Now, with me standing by the open rear door of the driver's side of my truck, and the car parked next to me, I was in a hole, and immediately in condition orange, cursing myself for getting into this mess. Didn't take over 10 seconds to get there, and I really believe much less. I put on my gameface, scanning his hands first, then the waistline (T-shirt, oversized, baggy pants). He was WAY too close to me. I told him to back up a few feet, that I was not comfortable with him being so close to me. I put the vacuum between us on the ground about 3 feet in front of me (halfway between us) as he began to speak, scanned behind me, then stepped toward him enough to close the truck door. I looked again around my truck, continued to scan and adopted a strong stance; listened to him tell me about being in town from the Texas hurricane, no money, etc. Told him about my church and that they are getting all my donations for such folks, and that he can call them. He tried to talk around it to get money, but I "circle talked" him, and he eventually seemed to back off. He kept looking at me kinda funny, and looking at my right front pocket. After the incident, I realized he was seeing my Buckmark Sidewinder clip sticking out. Condition orange plan: with front foot, kick vacuum toward him on first movement to confuse any plan he might have pre-formulated, retrograde as I untuck and present, and give verbal instructions to stop.

As it turned out, he follows me into the mall, and peels off talking to someone else as we enter. Got me pretty hyped up, pretty fast....
    Dude..It's impossible for him to move that fast... 6'6", 400 Just kidding ...Glad you are safe!!! I was in that area this weekend ...If he was from TX he should have known not to invade someone's personal space...

yea, i had a similar experience from a guy that fit that same description. exept he was limping and told me he was an ex-boxer, lol he even felt the need to re-assure me that i didnt need to be scared! i guess he mistook my posture (turned sideways with my piece out of his view) for me being affraid. i made sure i told him i had nothing to fear and that i cant afford to be giving away my HARD EARNED cash!

you did well

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty HD View Post

American Murder Mystery

Very good reading.
    Good article. The analogy that comes to mind is metastasis.
    Yes, the world has gotten smaller, but it will always be too big to be ruled by unelected bureaucrats.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links