Wake up call...

This is a discussion on Wake up call... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a big fan of reading these stories to get ideas on being alert, and have yet to post one. Until now. I was woken ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wake up call...

Wake up call...

I'm a big fan of reading these stories to get ideas on being alert, and have yet to post one. Until now.

I was woken up in my apartment this morning by someone making lots of noise just outside of my bedroom door - not the apartment door. In an instant I am wide awake and reaching for my glasses and gun. I'm blind without my glasses - so it would have been bad to leave them out of the equation. I grab my Bersa, as it was closer than my Beretta, even though the M9 leaves bigger holes. I walk to my door, yank it open with gun already pointed... at the maintenance lady. She was changing our air filter. She freaked and screamed 'maintenance' at me. I luckily didn't pull the trigger, as was my first instinct. My finger was still on the rail rather than the inside the trigger gaurd.

I was thankful I didn't have to do anything, but it's the first time since I've been carrying (about 8 months) that I've even had the decocker off, other than at the range. Anything I could have done different? Better? Did I over-react?

2. Remove Ads

you did well to first identify your target ;-) Maybe next time ask through the closed door?
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Quote Originally Posted by vanDutton View Post
    Anything I could have done different? Better? Did I over-react?
    Um, I'm thinking a call to the office to notify them that they need to announce their presence or better yet to schedule things like that.

Can't say that you overreacted, you heard a strange noise in your home that obviously wasn't you making it. At least you had the control to keep your finger where it was and not pull the trigger when you saw it was another person in your home uninvited, just long enough to see who it was.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Maybe put a peephole in the door. Who cleaned up after the maintence worker?

One work LASIK!!!!

I'd keep the gun at "high ready" (in shooting position but pointed downward) while opening the door, just to prevent making someone innocent stare down the barrel of my .45. Can't be a happy sight.

Besides that, well done. Some will argue that you should have called 911 at the first sign of trouble, but if we all did that, our local 911 services would be getting a lot of false alarms. I say you did good.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

In Texas its required to have a dead bolt that cannot be opened from the outside. Im sure the apartments dont want you doing that yourself , but maybe a small chain lock so you know anyone that gets in has bad intentions?

No one should ever enter someone else's home unannounced! I would have reacted the same way that you did.
    Semper Fi!

Engineers Up!

VIP Member
    You did well. If I lived alone I may have shot through the door. That would have been bad! She should have phoned you first.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by top_gizmo View Post
    No one should ever enter someone else's home unannounced! I would have reacted the same way that you did.
    What he said...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thats just plain stupid, even if you do work there. If you were a repairman, would you let yourself into someone's home without even announcing yourself? Not smart on her part. Frankly even knowing she works for the housing complex i'd be very suspicious..

What kind of area do you live in? Is it Very low crime - low crime - moderate - heavy crime?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zaria View Post
    I'd keep the gun at "high ready" (in shooting position but pointed downward) while opening the door, just to prevent making someone innocent stare down the barrel of my .45. Can't be a happy sight.
    +1

I wouldn't point a gun at someone i wasn't ready to kill, and that includes an unidentified person except under the most incriminating circumstances. I like the "high ready" position because if the BG charges not only are you ready to rock&roll, but in his path from where he is to you, he has to cross the muzzle of your gun. Basically, if you got tackled you could still probably get lead in him without even bringing your gun up.

In addition if you are, for example, startled by the cleaning lady or your cat fluffy, the bullet goes into the floor, not into the person in front of you.

Under certain circumstances, (usually when i'm checking out a non-threatening noise) i'll keep my weak hand in front of me, while the strong hand hangs low keeping the gun slightly behind my leg.
    This lets me bring my gun up very quickly to shooting or retention stance while the other hand can ward off a knife, while also giving me the option of making it disappear into my back pocket should i round the corner and run into my pastor, mother-in-law, whatever...
    We are only as vulnerable as we are naive.

Sounds like you did good to me.

I'm curious as to what she said...or if you gave the office a call to inform them it may be better for their employees if they announce or schedule first.

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Um, I'm thinking a call to the office to notify them that they need to announce their presence or better yet to schedule things like that.

Can't say that you overreacted, you heard a strange noise in your home that obviously wasn't you making it. At least you had the control to keep your finger where it was and not pull the trigger when you saw it was another person in your home uninvited, just long enough to see who it was.
    +1

When I moved into my apartment, I discussed this with the manager and got her assurance that before anyone entered my apartment for maintenance, etc. that they would notify me before hand (though I didn't tell her why I was so serious about not having people in there without my knowledge )
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I live in a college town - not a ton of crime off campus because there isn't much to steal.

After I got out of class today, I called the office and asked them to schedule things like that in advance. Or at least leave me a note the day before they're going to be coming so I know what to expect.

I know apartments need to do maintenance, but your manager should send out a notice: Between the 1st-5th of Sept we will be changing filters in all apartments would be smart, but when I lived in an apartment they liked to do spot checks to see if you had a dog or cat or in my case a water-bed that your not supposed to have. That was back in the 80's, I would hope laws have changed to prevent unnecessary entry.
    I think you did just fine, a good scare for the maintenance worker will make her think twice the next time. Knock harder before entry.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Maybe the maintainence people will simply do a better job of announcing their presence in the future :)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links