Changing a flat - Page 2

Changing a flat

This is a discussion on Changing a flat within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Now days mid priced and up cars are coming with roadside assistance plans AAA style that would serve as the cure for this problem. Additional ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Changing a flat

Now days mid priced and up cars are coming with roadside assistance plans AAA style that would serve as the cure for this problem.
    Additional to that BMW and Chevy (Corvette) provide cans of tire sealant and an onboard e-airpump inlieu of a spare which in my own experience provides atleast enough ability to move down the road to a safer spot if only at reduced speeds and handling ability.

If for some reason I had neither of these nor AAA and I found myself for even odder reasons alone in a deserted parking lot in a area that caused my suspicions to be aroused I'd either leave the car and take a cab/bus/subway home or call a friend/coworker to give me a ride and return for the car at some later & better/more populated time.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Janq
    Now days mid priced and up cars are coming with roadside assistance plans AAA style that would serve as the cure for this problem.
    Additional to that BMW and Chevy (Corvette) provide cans of tire sealant and an onboard e-airpump inlieu of a spare which in my own experience provides atleast enough ability to move down the road to a safer spot if only at reduced speeds and handling ability.- Janq
    Welcome to the forum. You raise an interesting point. A lot of high end cars are now coming equipped (as an option) with "run-flat" tires. Caddy and Hummer (H1) to name two. So the locally available and low cost tiresealant is IMHO a viable option.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    AAA card is in my wallet for a reason.
    Ditto. I have had AAA for almost 20 years. I will let them do it.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Administrator
    BTW...The Cans Of "FIX A FLAT" Really Do Work to inflate & seal a tire so that you can drive on it.

BTW...Interesting.
    Man Shot While Changing Tire

POSTED: 8:41 am CST February 21, 2005

SAN ANTONIO -- A man was shot Sunday night while he was changing a tire on his car on the North East Side.

Police said the man was in the process of changing the tire in the 4400 block of Mystic Sunrise when two men drove up and asked him if his name was Maurice.

One of the men then opened fire when the man took off running. He was wounded in the elbow and was transported to University Hospital in fair condition.

Police are looking for the men.

Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    BTW...The Cans Of "FIX A FLAT" Really Do Work to inflate & seal a tire so that you can drive on it.
    Will that include a large pickup tire tho QK?

The volume inside is huge and - other thing - I am thinking that if totally flat and rim seal lost, then it takes huge amounts of rapidly delivered air to reinstate that, so as to get inflation.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator

Car Tire

I know for a car tire one can of Fix~A~Flat is enough.
    Buy two or three cans. I think it's about $5 a can. The can I used had been sitting in our trunk for 3 summer & winter seasons so I guess the gas is pretty well self sealed inside the can.
    I know I used it once & dang if it didn't lift the car right up as it inflates the tire. You can just watch that car raise right up.
    Front tire too so...lots of engine weight.

The guy at GoodYear hated the stuff 'cause it's a sticky mess when they they pull the tire off to replace it.
    But, who cares...that's their job changing tires & they charge a hefty price to do it. They sure don't give ya a special discount if there's no gooey stuff inside the tire.

I don't let my wife drive on patched tires.
    Even though a properly internally patched tire is reported as good as a brand new tire.
    It's a personal quirk of mine...punctured tire...flat tire...replace tire.

Assistant Administrator
    Thx QK - I reckon I'll invest in a coupla cans - can't do any harm.

I did use one once on a motor cycle years back - but that was a tube type tire. Sure got me out of a hole tho.
    Chris - P95

Theres also stuff you can buy to prefill your tire so if you hit a nail it will auto seal so no flat michillian also has a make of tire like that with stuff all ready in them ..

Also good year make a run flat that can have a 3 inch hole and you can drive 50 miles on it before it comes apart

Assistant Administrator
    Not strictly relevant but - I remember seeing some vid of the 4WD racing scene in Iceland - where they do a sorta hillclimb. Guy stressed a tire and got a flat - rim seal gone too

They took wheel off - put a loada propane inside the tire and lit it!! Whoomph - pop - done deal - most effective
    Chris - P95

Gas works very well for that to Chris just got to be carefull of how much or else ya blow it right off the rim

95, you always, always, come up with good ones. I travel pretty far away from the house two days a week and use some country roads. Now on these roads my phone goes out (no signal), so if I had a flat I would have to change it myself or try to make a roaming call. I have considered AAA and I think I will get them.

Things are so crazy now, you can't even get out change your tire without worrying. I suggest keep your car in top shape and make sure everything is good. I don't make any stops until I get to my destination. I would suggest this for anybody that travels far.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

VIP Member
    Slime™ flat-tire sealant works well. Fill your tire with the green goo, and it'll seal up a lot of holes, but only on the tread part as the tire rotates. It won't work on the sides, like if someone deliberately punctures it. Align the tires first; I've heard mechanics don't like the stuff when they're trying to align.

I can fix a flat myself, but if I'm in a location where I absolutely don't want my back turned, I'll call Mrshonts. He can fix it while I stand guard.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Your Right betty i forgot to mention it wont work on sidewall cuts course if some one take out the valve core or cuts the Stem nothings gonna fix that

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Will that include a large pickup tire tho QK?

The volume inside is huge and - other thing - I am thinking that if totally flat and rim seal lost, then it takes huge amounts of rapidly delivered air to reinstate that, so as to get inflation.
    P95,

It most defintely will.
    I've been using canned liquid tire sealant/inflator products since HS (20 yrs.+) and as a rule always keep a 'truck' sized can in each of my vehicles currently numbering three with s cars and an SUV. I've used tire inflator very many times for various emergency events an d not once been disappointed. There are generally two size product available one for passenger cars and a larger volume by roughly 30% product specific to truck & SUV tires. My wife used a can in our Honda 'Pilot' SUV last spring as she found the tire completely deflated as due to a screw. A tall SUV sized can of Prestone brand in this case liquid tire inflator sealed the puncture and increased tire pressure to just about 30 lbs. more than enough to safely limp home which she did and I then swapped in the proper spare. Time to inflate was less than 5 minutes where as on a passenger care tire it's generally 2 to 3 minutes max. IMHO liquid tire inflator is cheap insurance along with roadside assistance of some sort be it AAA, Costco or mfr. provided. She could have called for help from Honda Roadside Assistance (free with the purchase of the vehicle) but at the time she had our then cranky 2 yr. old in tow who was on schedule for nap time. Waiting for a rescue from either me or Honda was not a viable option. :)

In the event of shenanigans such as intentional sidewall cuts or tire stem damage then again one can fall back to roadside assistance (Costco sells a package cheap) or better yet a cab/bus/subway/dial-a-friend.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Assistant Administrator
    Thx Jan - good to know. I certainly intend to make sure I have something like this on board.

Mind you - still crosses my mind that - all alone - 5 minutes of my time watching or waiting for inflation - is still gonna be a vulnerable period of time, without anyone to keep watch.

Guess if dark I could stand back a bit while it does it's thing, gun in hand (discreetly!)
    Chris - P95

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links