Defensive Carry banner

Changing a flat

3K views 44 replies 19 participants last post by  Bud White 
#1 ·
This occurred to me after seeing a poor guy laboring to deal with a flat - in yeah - a darned parking lot, late in day, twilight!

I offered to help - and did - seeing as he had little clue how to use the jack! I had BTW checked out all around and could not see this as a ploy. It was straightforward.

Made me wonder tho - it is dark - you come out from Mall (alone) - and notice your vehicle has a flat. To all outward appearances - ''just a flat'' - maybe nail. However, let us imagine (we are good at that!) someone stuck an awl into inner wall - so no obvious mark. They plan to rob you when you get to changing that wheel.

Problem is compounded by being alone - no one to act as lookout. Any thoughts as to your actions? I would naturally be cautious to Nth degree but - hard to watch six while doing this. Call AAA even?

#3 ·
Good point Bud - choice of park space is quite useful.

Plus maybe being nearest if possible to one of the overhead lights.

Of course, between parking and coming back out - who knows who has parked close to you - so ''boxing you in'' a bit.

#4 ·
I'll generally help if I don't get a squicked-out feeling about the person. If the little voice says stay away, I do.

If I'm with a friend, things are different - then we have more capacity to watch each other's back and provide assistance.

#6 ·
KevinInstructor said:
I call a tow truck and have my insurance pay for it :icon_lol:

I think I have to agree.

#7 ·
AAA card is in my wallet for a reason.

As for helping someone who is stranded. That depends on how I evaluate the situation at the time. I have done it in the past. Before I had AAA someone was kind enough to stop and help my wife after a blowout as well. She was grateful for that as it was on our 4x4 truck and she was so looking forward to wrestling with a wheel around half her weight or better.

-Scott-

#8 ·
P95Carry said:
Good point Bud - choice of park space is quite useful.

Plus maybe being nearest if possible to one of the overhead lights.

Of course, between parking and coming back out - who knows who has parked close to you - so ''boxing you in'' a bit.
Thats true to

Depending on How things look depends on what i would do.. Also one other thing is most Mugger car jackers etc etc usually ont fool with a Male of my size i usually out weigh then 2:1 And i know size has been a Factor before..

#9 ·
I would be cautious, but would change the tire myself. Might take lomger , looking around constantly. I also will help others in trouble, but size up the people first. Usually you can tell from someone's demeanor if they are really stranded.

#13 ·
The situation would be one of the biggest factors. That said, another option would be to move the car flat and all to another location.. Perhaps better lighting, more people, a close gas station? Perhaps a call to a friend? (a little "back up") If you feel the need, destroy the tire to get where you need to to feel secure.. The price of a tire wouldn't even come into play where my, or my loved ones safety was an issue!
CraigJS

#14 ·
Good Comments

Cell Phone & AAA
Of course I've had AAA not show up for over 2 hours
And...I've had a dead cell before also.

I submit though that if you are in a situation like this & have already scoped out the area & visually have seen nothing and then get involved with the normal functions of changing a tire you could still be in trouble.
Suppose some Bad Guy (escaped convict maybe) did a quick run out of the bushes for the sole purpose of busting a lightning fast cap on your head & THEN robbing you &/or taking your vehicle...whatever???
I'm not sure if anybody would be ready for that...when your respective "Awareness" is possibly focused on where that doggone lug nut rolled to.

IMPORTANT INFO: It is important to remember that you CAN drive quite a distance on a flat to get yourself to a safer area.
It sure will take you longer to get there but, think seriously about doing it.
If you Damage A Rim....WHO CARES! We're extremely well covered concerning our auto insurance.
I always told my wife that if she got a flat in a bad area.
Try to get to a better, brighter, safer and more populated area to call AAA & to Hell with the rim or the tire...or the car.
It is not good to be sitting for an hour in a remote or known unsafe location waiting for a rescue truck.
Especially an unarmed female.

#15 ·
Thx guys - indeed AAA is the safer option, more I think on it - and even if it takes time waiting - can always go back in mall for some of that.

If a flat was for malicious reasons then it seems all but impossible to do this on one's own, and - keep a good lookout.

One other option I guess could be - if other folks around then perhaps be able to find a guy (casual, but carefully screaned) who can spare time to do guard duty!

#16 ·
Now days mid priced and up cars are coming with roadside assistance plans AAA style that would serve as the cure for this problem.
Additional to that BMW and Chevy (Corvette) provide cans of tire sealant and an onboard e-airpump inlieu of a spare which in my own experience provides atleast enough ability to move down the road to a safer spot if only at reduced speeds and handling ability.

If for some reason I had neither of these nor AAA and I found myself for even odder reasons alone in a deserted parking lot in a area that caused my suspicions to be aroused I'd either leave the car and take a cab/bus/subway home or call a friend/coworker to give me a ride and return for the car at some later & better/more populated time.

- Janq

#17 ·
Welcome!

Janq said:
Now days mid priced and up cars are coming with roadside assistance plans AAA style that would serve as the cure for this problem.
Additional to that BMW and Chevy (Corvette) provide cans of tire sealant and an onboard e-airpump inlieu of a spare which in my own experience provides atleast enough ability to move down the road to a safer spot if only at reduced speeds and handling ability.- Janq
Welcome to the forum. You raise an interesting point. A lot of high end cars are now coming equipped (as an option) with "run-flat" tires. Caddy and Hummer (H1) to name two. So the locally available and low cost tiresealant is IMHO a viable option.

#19 ·
BTW...The Cans Of "FIX A FLAT" Really Do Work to inflate & seal a tire so that you can drive on it.

BTW...Interesting.
Man Shot While Changing Tire

POSTED: 8:41 am CST February 21, 2005

SAN ANTONIO -- A man was shot Sunday night while he was changing a tire on his car on the North East Side.

Police said the man was in the process of changing the tire in the 4400 block of Mystic Sunrise when two men drove up and asked him if his name was Maurice.

One of the men then opened fire when the man took off running. He was wounded in the elbow and was transported to University Hospital in fair condition.

Police are looking for the men.

#20 ·
QKShooter said:
BTW...The Cans Of "FIX A FLAT" Really Do Work to inflate & seal a tire so that you can drive on it.
Will that include a large pickup tire tho QK?

The volume inside is huge and - other thing - I am thinking that if totally flat and rim seal lost, then it takes huge amounts of rapidly delivered air to reinstate that, so as to get inflation.

#21 ·
Car Tire

I know for a car tire one can of Fix~A~Flat is enough.
Buy two or three cans. I think it's about $5 a can. The can I used had been sitting in our trunk for 3 summer & winter seasons so I guess the gas is pretty well self sealed inside the can.
I know I used it once & dang if it didn't lift the car right up as it inflates the tire. You can just watch that car raise right up.:blink:
Front tire too so...lots of engine weight.

The guy at GoodYear hated the stuff 'cause it's a sticky mess when they they pull the tire off to replace it.
But, who cares...that's their job changing tires & they charge a hefty price to do it. They sure don't give ya a special discount if there's no gooey stuff inside the tire. :rofl:

I don't let my wife drive on patched tires.
Even though a properly internally patched tire is reported as good as a brand new tire.
It's a personal quirk of mine...punctured tire...flat tire...replace tire.

#22 ·
Thx QK - I reckon I'll invest in a coupla cans - can't do any harm.

I did use one once on a motor cycle years back - but that was a tube type tire. Sure got me out of a hole tho.

#23 ·
Theres also stuff you can buy to prefill your tire so if you hit a nail it will auto seal so no flat michillian also has a make of tire like that with stuff all ready in them ..

Also good year make a run flat that can have a 3 inch hole and you can drive 50 miles on it before it comes apart

#24 ·
Not strictly relevant but - I remember seeing some vid of the 4WD racing scene in Iceland - where they do a sorta hillclimb. Guy stressed a tire and got a flat - rim seal gone too

They took wheel off - put a loada propane inside the tire and lit it!! Whoomph - pop - done deal - most effective :smile:

#26 ·
95, you always, always, come up with good ones. I travel pretty far away from the house two days a week and use some country roads. Now on these roads my phone goes out (no signal), so if I had a flat I would have to change it myself or try to make a roaming call. I have considered AAA and I think I will get them.

Things are so crazy now, you can't even get out change your tire without worrying. I suggest keep your car in top shape and make sure everything is good. I don't make any stops until I get to my destination. I would suggest this for anybody that travels far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.