Out with coworkers, witness a theft

This is a discussion on Out with coworkers, witness a theft within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a real funky couple of days, and here is one if the situations that I faced. I am currently working out of town, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Out with coworkers, witness a theft

Out with coworkers, witness a theft

I had a real funky couple of days, and here is one if the situations that I faced.

I am currently working out of town, and after work, I went to one of the local feeding/watering holes with some of the guys from work. They were drinking, I was having iced tea.

Another coworker came in about an hour later with his girlfriend and sat at a booth in the corner, 20 feet from me (we were sitting at a table in the middle of the bar area). This bar has TVs all around the room showing the football game. Directly in front of me on the back wall is a 50" plasma showing the game, and right in front of it is one of those tall 2 person bar tables barely large enough for a couple of drinks.

The coworker and his SO get up to go to the salad bar. While they are gone, one of the two guys sitting at the tall table in front of the big screen gets up, takes the one step to the coworkers table, grabs something and returns to his seat, putting the something in his pocket.

My adrenaline spikes, I inform my group that the just swiped something from Joe's table and put it in his front pocket. the other three that I am with all look right at him for a couple of seconds then return to their drinks. The guy next to me said he saw him get up and go over, but not sure if he took anything.

I keep watching the guy out of the corner of my eye, and he relocates the item to the inside of his waistband.

Here is the problem I face. I am the only sober one with my group. I am armed, no one else knows I carry...at work as well, and I already know that my confronting this is bringing a weapon to a potential conflict that I am initiating.

How do you play this one out?

Hindsight is 20/20, and I know now how I might have intimidated this guy into returning the stolen property discretely and probably without incident.

Know this. All I did is keep an eye on the guy, and inform Joe when he returned from the salad bar that the took something from their table, and stuffed it down his pants.

I witnessed a crime, and I can not figure out at the time how to resolve it given that I carry. Primary rule of loss prevention. Know what they took, and never loose sight of them. My personal rule, "It is not my problem until it becomes my problem" yet this is a coworker that I get along with tolerably well.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    My suggestion:

Keep an eye on the thief.
    Ask your co-worker to verify that something is missing, and what it is.
    Ask the staff to call 911.
    Wait for the police to arrive.
    Tell them what you saw, and let them handle it.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    My suggestion:

Matt
    #1 and #2 I did.

#3 was on my mind, #4 and #5 were iffy, since I did not know what they took, and I do not want to waste the LEOs time with a BS complaint if it was something stupid like a pack of cigarettes, or not even theirs like a salt shaker or hand full of sugar packs.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Lead Moderator
    My suggestion:

Matt
    The only difference I would suggest is let your co worker who was possible robbed decide if calling PD is needed.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

My suggestion:

Matt
    Matt Larson is right on the money with this one.
    However, you have no way to know what was taken (if it was), if the whole thing was a joke, or if the waitress is a partner in the crime, etc.
    Perhaps this might be the time to ignore all...no injuries...you might want to keep it that way...OMO

Stay armed...use discretion...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    The only difference I would suggest is let your co worker who was possible bobbed decide if calling PD is needed.
    Absolutely, I should have included a decision point between 2 and 3 "Does the co-worker want to pursue the issue?"

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    The only difference I would suggest is let your co worker who was possible bobbed decide if calling PD is needed.
    I agree.

It pays off to be observant.

Little story if you dont mind, kinda the same principle but much bigger stakes.

My aunt and uncle were out eating at a nice sit down/table cloths style place in town.
    They took note of a young man and woman (early 20's) sitting at a across the isle at about a 45* angle.
    They could tell by body language etc.. that it was there first date.
    Later on in the meal the young woman stood up to go to the salad bar or restroom (cant remember) this is when my uncle noticed the guy open a pill and dump it in her dring and stirr it with a straw.

He had no idea what to do but knew something bad was taking place.
    He knew he couldnt approach the guy without bad results.
    So he went directly to the manager. Telling them what he saw. the manager asked if he was positive.. he said yes, he didnt know what it was but he could tell they were on there first date or so and he was real sneaky about it when she left.

the manager called the LEO.
    They sent the server out with "fresh drinks" and kept an eye on the guy untill the Leo arrived.

The guy went to Jail. the young lady was told what happened and she started to cry and was so so greatfull to everyone. She varified the first date and said she "thought" he seemed like a nice guy.

It pays to be observant. This girl was no doubt spared bad things. Possibly Rape, possibly worse.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Let me get this straight...you are all co-workers, out for drinks and food...and you see one of them take something from another co-worker's table...but, and here is the kicker...YOU have no idea what...and YOUR co-worker that was potentially harmed DOESN'T know what? Hummmmm....confused in Denmark.

Could be cell phone or wallet...we use to play jokes on others when they left them around...or it could be nothing. I'd stay out of it and let your co-worker that was supposebly stolen from handle it.

Carrying is for defense...not a quasi-LEO.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Let me get this straight...you are all co-workers, out for drinks and food...and you see one of them take something from another co-worker's table...but, and here is the kicker...YOU have no idea what...and YOUR co-worker that was potentially harmed DOESN'T know what? Hummmmm....confused in Denmark.

Could be cell phone or wallet...we use to play jokes on others when they left them around...or it could be nothing. I'd stay out of it and let your co-worker that was supposebly stolen from handle it.

Carrying is for defense...not a quasi-LEO.

Rick
    If I understand the story correctly, a stranger took something from a coworker's table, not another coworker.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I had a real funky couple of days, and here

Here is the problem I face. I am the only sober one with my group. I am armed, no one else knows I carry...at work as well, and I already know that my confronting this is bringing a weapon to a potential conflict that I am initiating.

How do you play this one out?
    well.
    I don't mean to preach but I suggest avoiding these kinds of waterholes while carrying where so many people are all oiled up. If you go there you are always subjecting yourself to the possibility of finding yourself in lose-lose situations.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    If I understand the story correctly, a stranger took something from a coworker's table, not another coworker.
    You're right...my bad...but my answer is still the same. He informed the co-worker. It would seem that it would be up to the co-worker to determine the next step.

Rick

VIP Member
    What was taken?
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Your friend should have called the cops, and let that be the end of the story.
    He was the one aggrieved so leave it to him to decide how he might react. You are at that point merely a witness. No gun involved nor required.

- Janq doesn't have time nor interest for drama
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Call the cops.

Being that it was a Co-Worker, No one knows you carry, although you didn't have any alcohol others have....Not a win...Win...inform co-worker and suggest calling LEO...My two cents...And your secret will be safe...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links