Leaving a resturant parking lot, approached by panhandlers

This is a discussion on Leaving a resturant parking lot, approached by panhandlers within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a real funky couple of days, and here is one if the situations that I faced. First off, why is it when you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaving a resturant parking lot, approached by panhandlers

Leaving a resturant parking lot, approached by panhandlers

I had a real funky couple of days, and here is one if the situations that I faced.

First off, why is it when you are in a convertible that people feel the need to talk to you?

My SO and I are pulling out of the parking lot after dinner. We are in her mustang convertible, the top is down and she is driving. I normally carry tucked IWB @3:30 - 4:00, but tonight I opted to "Virginia Tuck" and was wearing a flannel shirt as a light jacket.

As we are approaching the parking area exit (30' away) I see a south o' the border female walking towards us saying "Excuse me, my cousin and I need $.98 for the buss, can you help us out" and about 10 feet behind to her right is a south o' the border male approaching my wife, saying nothing.

I hate my wife's car. Bucket seats make drawing my weapon uber hard to begin with, multiply that by the fact that I am in sitting shotgun, have the seat belt on, and I am sitting on the tail and side of my flannel shirt.

I immediately reach across inside my shirt with my left hand and try to release my weapon from storage in a discrete manner, and in a fashion that I will be able to deploy it post haste if needed, all the while I am looking back and forth to the male and female to see who is going to be the bigger problem.

I respond to their request for $$$ with "It takes a good bit more than $.98 for bus fare, not helping you."

My wife, having lived alone for a good while as a single female knew already to accelerate and evac the area NOW.

Once we got home, my wife and I talked about who is going to do what in that type of situation again if something goes south. Odds are that the male (if they had malicious intent) was going to hostage my wife for their demands. I am going to start untucking or whatever to make sure my weapon has no obstruction when in the car.

How would you play this out from the point of them approaching you, and the variable of your forward is blocked either by traffic or another vehicle?
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like your emergency actions worked just fine. You were alert to the situation which is the major part of avoiding trouble.
    You have a convertible...I wouldn't have one...seems like a trap waiting to happen.
    Inside a vehicle, I would have had my sidearm out but covered...ready for immediate use. When approached by a panhandler I do not speak of 'giving or not giving', but rather an aggressive, unfriendly order to stay back. My looks, my demeanor, and my tone send the 'no mistaking' message to get back. If the dirtbag(s) continue to move forward, then I begin to make mental plans for a more unpleasant situation.

OMO

Stay armed...be alert...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Sounds like your emergency actions worked just fine. You were alert to the situation which is the major part of avoiding trouble.
    You have a convertible...I wouldn't have one...seems like a trap waiting to happen.
    Inside a vehicle, I would have had my sidearm out but covered...ready for immediate use. When approached by a panhandler I do not speak of 'giving or not giving', but rather an aggressive, unfriendly order to stay back. My looks, my demeanor, and my tone send the 'no mistaking' message to get back. If the dirtbag(s) continue to move forward, then I begin to make mental plans for a more unpleasant situation.

OMO

Stay armed...be alert...stay safe!
    When in the car I always make sure that my gun is unobstructed. My shirt tail is always tucked behind the grips before I buckle up. Then I check to be sure that the seat belt isn't in the way.

Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

VIP Member
    Look at it this way... I'd say you did fine but you also learned something that may save you life later!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

This is a really interesting scenario. A top-down convertible in a parking garage, driven by a woman, could just as well have a sign on it "hijack me, please", I think that's probably what might have happened had not some thing or another got in their way. The male would be the one with the gun, and your wife will be in the your field of fire should the jack begin. The tactical situation for you guys was very bad. When I first saw the situation developing and went to condition yellow, I would have released the seatbelt asap and if possible, quickly and discretely pulled my Kimber buddy and placed him on the seat under my right thigh, when he leaves his holster the thumb safety is always off. If it was going to be necessary to stop the car, like at a corner, and they knew this was going to happen, that's where it was going to go down, I would put it in reverse and exit the garage another way. Any rational talk or explanation, like "99 cents is not enough..." is a sign of weakness. Just say "no" or better yet, "f... you". Finally it would be good to have some non-lethal whatever in your left hand, like OC or a high power strobe light. This could buy you a few seconds and spare you from having to explain a very bad and messy thing to the local gendarmes for the next two weeks. Good luck and be safe.

Whenever I see them coming, I hit them up first..."Hey buddy, got a dollar".
    If you're really that freaked out by a couple of panhandlers, you live in a pretty cushy world.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    If you're really that freaked out by a couple of panhandlers, you live in a pretty cushy world.
    A panhandler shot and killed somebody at a gas station four blocks from my apartment not two weeks ago because he wouldn't give him a couple dollars. IMO would be naive to not be alert about anybody who approaches you.

GaTechCCW
    Georgia Carry Member
    Smith-Wesson M&P40 Full Size

I see a south o' the border female walking towards us saying...
    Any particular reason "south o' the border" is pertinent?

Anyway...

What I find interesing is when panhandlers ask for a specific amount.; especially, since the thing they need the money for is obviously more expensive. Granted, one could argue that they've managed to scrounge up a part of the necessary money, but asking for a specific amount is a curiosity.

I have a buddy who's a freakishly friendly nice guy, and would give a beggar his spare change, and possibly even the shirt off his back. Speaking for myself, I need money, too, so anything I have is NOT "spare".

I like AZ Husker's response, and think I'll adopt it. While maintaining awareness, of course. It's fun watching a stupid person's brain break.

-JT

I was walking back from campus to my apartment one day and one came up and started talking to me and walking with me. Of course they pick this spot to hassle us, since they no we are now off campus and that we are also unarmed.

Anyways I have a nice watch on so I shove my hand in my pocket, and give him one word answers while trying to hussle off towards my apartment. He notices I wanna get away, and asks if I can use my marta pass to get him into the subway, and that he'll pay me back as soon as we get through the gate . I tell him I'm not going to the subway, but to my apartment. He then asks if I could spare him a couple dollars.

Does he not remember 30 seconds ago telling me he would pay me back as soon as we got through the gate?

Some people just really don't think before they speak. So now that I know I'm gonna be hassled for money, and you never know what they'll do when you refuse, I've picked myself up some pepper spray. After all, I'd rather have that than nothing.

GaTechCCW
    Georgia Carry Member
    Smith-Wesson M&P40 Full Size

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    When driving I typically tuck my gun, grip up, between my legs. I can grab hold of it quickly and already have it properly positioned in my hand to fire. This also works well if you see a carjacker walking up to you. Of course it depends on your state law, but here in New Mexico it's legal.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by carver View Post
    When in the car I always make sure that my gun is unobstructed. My shirt tail is always tucked behind the grips before I buckle up. Then I check to be sure that the seat belt isn't in the way.
    Add to that -- And keep the top down except while driving where you want the wind to blow your hair.

When in any vehicle, I always make sure my gun is easily available; in my Liberty, that's the door pocket.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

congrads on the way you handled the situation. glad to
    hear that you and your wife are safe.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

I can relate to the convertible-talking situation. Must be just too accesable to people.
    Funny, I rarely had the same reaction when on a cycle.
    I do agree with the comments about keeping the top up in a parking ramp. Open parking lots are not AS much of a trap situation.
    Post-situation de-brief=Priceless!
    Glad it went okay, and thanks for posting.
    You can always learn something from posts on here and sometimes it is just a reminder of something we already know but maybe haven't been paying enough attention to.
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    A (single) panhandler asking for spare change is one target and a non issue.

Two persons approaching from different sides of the vehicle, and the female of the two doing the talking (distracting) while the male keeps coming on the opposite side is a big red flag. That is not getting freaked out by a couple of panhandlers, that is a set up, planned or not.

Being prepared trumps "oops".

The reference to "South o' the border" is pertinent to me at least here in Denver since a LARGE portion of the crimes committed are done by them. I don't know the specs but I would venture in the 80 percentile. Denver, Phoenix, and LA were a port of entry for the illegals in the late 90s because of a bus line that would pre-sell 50% of it's seating on the daily bus, crossing the border at the midnight shift change for years.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links