Good write-up. I'm going to pass it along.
This is a discussion on Crime Prevention within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I sent this around to family and friends who are NON-gun types, because I still love 'em and want them to be safe, even if ...
I sent this around to family and friends who are NON-gun types, because I still love 'em and want them to be safe, even if they are in denial about crime.
Be Alert and Be Safe:
1. Tip from the martial arts: The elbow is the strongest point on your body. If you are close enough to use it, do!
2. If a robber asks for your wallet and/or purse, DO NOT HAND IT TO HIM. Toss it away from you....chances are that he is more interested in your wallet and/or purse than you, and he will go for the wallet/purse. RUN LIKE MAD IN THE OTHER DIRECTION!
3. If you are ever thrown into the trunk of a car, kick out the back tail lights and stick your arm out the hole and start waving like crazy. The driver won't see you, but everybody else will. This has saved lives.
4. Women have a tendency to get into their cars after shopping, eating, working, etc., and just sit (doing their checkbook, or making a list, etc. DON'T DO THIS!) The predator will be watching you, and this is the perfect opportunity for him to get in on the passenger side, put a gun to your head, and tell you where to go. AS SOON AS YOU GET INTO YOUR CAR, LOCK THE DOORS AND LEAVE.
a. If someone is in the car with a gun to your head DO NOT DRIVE OFF, repeat: DO NOT DRIVE OFF! Instead gun the engine and speed into anything, wrecking the car. Your Air Bag will save you. If the person is in the back seat they will get the worst of it. As soon as the car crashes bail out and run. It is better than having them find your body in a remote location.
5 . A few notes about getting into your car in a parking lot, or parking garage:
A.) Be aware: look around you, look into your car, look under your car, look at the passenger side floor, and in the back seat.
B.) If you are parked next to a big van, enter your car from the passenger door. Most serial killers attack their victims by pulling them into their vans while the women are attempting to get into their cars.
C.) Look at the car parked on the driver's side of your vehicle, and the passenger side. If a male is sitting alone in the seat nearest your car, you may want to walk back into the mall, or work, and get a guard/policeman to walk you back out.
IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY. (And better paranoid than dead.)
6. ALWAYS take the elevator instead of the stairs. (Stairwells are horrible places to be alone and the perfect crime spot. This is especially true at NIGHT!)
7. If the predator has a gun and you are not under his control, ALWAYS RUN! The predator will only hit you (a running target) 4 in 100 times; And even then, it most likely WILL NOT be a vital organ. RUN, Preferably ! in a zig -zag pattern!
8. Women are always trying to be sympathetic: STOP. It may get you raped, or killed. Ted Bundy, the serial killer, was a good-looking, well educated man, who ALWAYS played on the sympathies of unsuspecting women. He walked with a cane, or a limp, and often asked "for help" into his vehicle or with his vehicle, which is when he abducted his next victim. (sorry Betty, not trying to be sexist)
9. Another Safety Point: Someone just told me that her friend heard a crying baby on her porch the night before last, and she called the police because it was late and she thought it was weird. The police told her "Whatever you do, DO NOT open the door."
The lady then said that it sounded like the baby had crawled near a window, and she was worried that it would crawl to the street and get run over. The policeman said, "We already have a unit on the way, whatever you do, DO NOT open the door." He told her that they think a serial killer has a baby's cry recorded and uses it to coax women out of their homes thinking that someone dropped off a baby. He said they have not verified it, but have had several calls by women saying that they hear baby's cries outside their doors when they're home alone at night.
Please pass this on and DO NOT open the door for a crying baby ----This e-mail should be taken seriously because the Crying Baby theory was mentioned on America's Most Wanted this past Saturday when they profiled the serial killer in Louisiana.
(ExSoldier's note: I haven't verified this one, but it seems to be "sound counsel")
Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Good write-up. I'm going to pass it along.
"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne
Good stuff i love the gun the engine and ram the car into something
Good tips. I hadn't thought of the wrecking the car/air bag thing. Not many perps would think of buckling up!
EOD - Initial success or total failure
All pretty sound stuff Ex - and some that might not be thought of, for the less defence conscious folks.Only thing here - I seem to recall a scam where a BG would be hiding, maybe top of stairwell - wait for single lady to enter elevator and then hoof it quickly to enter before doors closed - thus having a ''captive'' audience.ALWAYS take the elevator instead of the stairs.
Chris - P95
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."
http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.
I moved it into Tactical Scenarios.
It is more likely to be read/found here than in Off Topic & Humor.
Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ
The "crying baby" smelled of urban legend to me so I looked it up. Yup, it's supposedly false:
Still good advice though. Something as strange as a crying baby on your porch in the middle of the night deserves a call to the police. Even if it is a real baby it'll be okay for 15 minutes while the police get there...
Great post...thank you for sharing it. Perhaps even some people who don't think about self defense (or are in denial) will learn from it...I'll be sure to pass it around.
Great information. I forwarded it to everyone I know!!
I really like the part about better to be paranoid than dead - I definitely agree!
Guns don't kill people - bad people (and stupid people) with guns kill people!
Some personal favorites:
Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock 23, Colt AR-15
In Thailand they call elbow strikes "knifes", due to the cutting of the face when struck.1. Tip from the martial arts: The elbow is the strongest point on your body. If you are close enough to use it, do!
Was perusing old threads tonight, and thought this one would be of interest to all of our new members - its good stuff.
PS: I am up because our 85 lb Doberman is afraid of thunder, and is basically in my lap, shaking like a leaf.
"He went on two legs, wore clothes and was a human being, but nevertheless he was in reality a wolf of the Steppes. He had learned a good deal . . . and was a fairly clever fellow. What he had not learned, however, was this: to find contentment in himself and his own life. The cause of this apparently was that at the bottom of his heart he knew all the time (or thought he knew) that he was in reality not a man, but a wolf of the Steppes."
Originally Posted by Rock and Glock
my ~85 lb doby is the same.. thank goodness no thunder here.
think of it as never having to be alone
Be a big spender and pay their way to an NRA Refuse to be a Victim course.
Course runs about 3 to 4 hours, cost is usually about $10.00. The course is not about guns, and any gun questions are referred to one of the instructors, and answered one on one during a break.
Check the NRA site for a class near you, or get the Instructor certification yourself and teach the course.
Keep the shotgun handy!!
First time I've heard this tip. Also, some newer cars have trunk releases INSIDE the trunk. Some glow in the dark. I actually tried one out on a new Accord and they're pretty easy to find.3. If you are ever thrown into the trunk of a car, kick out the back tail lights and stick your arm out the hole and start waving like crazy. The driver won't see you, but everybody else will. This has saved lives.
An excellent list of sensible precautions....thanks ExSoldier762!
USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947