Am I nuts or what?

Am I nuts or what?

This is a discussion on Am I nuts or what? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have my wife and son trained that I always sit facing the door in restaurants, if possible. I don't enter 24 hr. convience stores ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Am I nuts or what?

I have my wife and son trained that I always sit facing the door in restaurants, if possible. I don't enter 24 hr. convience stores at night BEFORE scanning the area(including the check-out counter). I park our vehicles in well-lit, well-travelled areas. I TRY and do common sense things that should INCREASE your odds of either avoiding unnecessary confrontations or putting myself in the best possible position should one occur. It's more than just carrying a gun....it's having your brain switched on!! Am I nuts or just a little paranoid??
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

It's situational awareness and it is necessary to be vigilante always. More so in some places (Stop&Rob) less in others (Home) but always aware.

Thanks for Serving ALL AMERICAN.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

No you are not paranoid. You are doing exactly what I do, and would think that most members of this forum do without giving it a second thought.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Administrator
    Its no big deal, and these examples of sitting facing the door and such are the most common and elementary "tricks" of awareness. If you are not at least making an attempt to win before the fight begins, you should'nt be carrying a pistol.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yes, your nuts,we are all nuts!
    he he ha ha

no no ,you -I mean, we are fine
    your respect for life must include your own.
    that means having your brain switched on
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Quote Originally Posted by old grunt View Post
    I Am I nuts or just a little paranoid??
    I don't think you are nuts or paranoid. The habits you have described are identical to mine.

Not nuts at all. I always try to be aware of my surroundings. It's being smart.

I've been doing that for years before I started carrying.
    My wife thought I was weird.
    After explaining it to her and now carrying she understands.
    Even let's me pick my chair first.
    The only problem is when we go out with guest's they think I'm kind of rude to pick my chair first.
    So be it.
    Abouttime

VIP Member
    If your nuts or paranoid then so are most of us on this forum. SA and CCW go hand in hand. A gun really doesn't do you much good if you let yourself get put into a situation you can't use it if you need it. Keep up the good work!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

<Start Rant>

There's a fine line between situational awareness and paranoia. That line is in a different place for every person, but I think the rule of thumb is this:

When your "defensive habits" start to impact your life in a significant way, it's time to re-think them.

For instance, this past summer I wanted to go see a concert that I knew I couldn't legally carry to. I decided to go anyway because if I didn't, I'd probably always look back and regret having let my "situational awareness" dictate rather or not I get to go see Carlos Santana (excellent show, by the way).

However, things like sitting where you can see the doors at a restaurant, locking the car doors when you're inside, and giving a stop-and-rob a good once-over before entering... those things don't negatively impact your life. There's no down-side, so why not?

From your post you sound like you might be a little more "proactive" in your situational awareness than I am, but I don't think that makes you paranoid or crazy.

And who defines sanity these days anyway? Plus, being sane doesn't sound like very much fun....

<End rant>

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    You're not weird, unless I'm psycho. No really, it is (should be) a natural action for those of us looking for trouble so we can avoid it. I do the same everywhere.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

VIP Member
    An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Everything you described in your OP defines "ounce of prevention".
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    You aren't nuts,I stay out of bad sections of town at night and purchase my fuel
    during the daylight hours.Just a habit I got into as I started to get older and weaker.

VIP Member
    I tell my wife "just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get me"!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I have my wife and son trained that I always sit facing the door in restaurants, if possible
    To throw a little fuel on this, do you think your life is worth more than you wife and son's? What if they prefer to sit so they can face the door so they can be aware. Someone else mention when eating out with friends. Shouldn't they get the same protection as you?

I used to work with a man that refused to sit in the middle seat in a pick-up truck. He once was in the middle when the two fellows he was riding with started beating on him. I don't think it is paranoid to be aware but why should one person always be the one who gets to choose.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links