So I'm loading my Mossberg . . . .

This is a discussion on So I'm loading my Mossberg . . . . within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by dukalmighty In Texas during hours of darkness they just drove into a death chamber,we have the right to prevent a theft of ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So I'm loading my Mossberg . . . .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    In Texas during hours of darkness they just drove into a death chamber,we have the right to prevent a theft of property during the hours of darkness 1/2 hr after sunset to 1/2 hr before sunrise.legally I could just open a door or window and drop them,does that mean I would? I would rather call 911 and try to prevent the theft without using deadly force,if they escalate the situation and don't surrender that's on them
    If I lived in Texas I'd have zero qualms with the "open a door or window and drop them" plan. Criminals should know that death is an occupational hazard. Sadly I don't live in Texas so I'd have to call 911 and slink about like a little ninny while my stuff was stolen. :(
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I'm not a 20 gauge kinda guy(*), but don't they make decently performing #2 and #3 buckshot loads for the 20 gauge?
    I've kept 20ga #1 buck for years (until I sold my 20ga). #1 buck is .30-cal balls, so they will carry a message . Available also in 3" magnum loads.
    (00 is .33 calibre, so you wouldn't get many in a .65 caliber/20 ga bore.) #4 is .24 calibre, and also a good 20ga load for denser patterns. If I were to mix loads in a 20ga, I'd alternate #4buck and #1buck, 3" if I had them.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

Well I live in texas and I have no problem with dropping them on the spot.I've worked hard for what I have and I will fight to keep it.I would first call 911 from inside the house and then go out and order them down on the ground.At the first sign of movement then they all die from my 12 gauge auto.sj

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Pretty much what we did a couple years ago when someone was trying to steal my neighbor's portable corral.

how did that go ?

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Get good description of all 3 BG's, as well as the vehicle license number. Call 911 and give info to the police, advising them the theft is in progress as you speak. Continue to watch unobserved.
    To exit your house and confront them is just asking for a shooting situation to develop. The trailer and ATV's can be replaced. A life can't.
    I agree. Keep it simple. Take pictures if you have the chance.

Inside city limits, tell 911 that you have a gun and are going to investigate or confront the BGs and hang up. You will hear sirens from all over town converging on your location. Don't actually go outside and get shot at because the police will be all pumped up and doing the shooting for you. Stay inside and be a good witness.

Outside city limits, release the dogs on them for a good time and defend the homestead.

bae
    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    how did that go ?
    Well, we live on an island, no real place to run, no place to hide.

Portable corral did not wander off that day :-)

SIGguy,
    As much as it irks me to not take a response to stop them. Like you I live in VA. Going outside to confront them will be considered escalating the situation. ESPECIALLY here in Richmond and the NoVA area. VA does not have a Castle Doctrine, and I don't have the thousands of dollars to fight it through the court system.
    How is telling the BGs the police are on their way escalating? Again, my actions are not escalatory...BGs will make their decisions, I will make mine. Their choice to stay and commit harm or leave is solely up to them. I will not confront them with a firearm...I will defend myself with one if needed.

I understand where you are coming from IRT castle doctrine...but that does not mean I can't tell someone to get off of my property or that the police have been called.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Get good description of all 3 BG's, as well as the vehicle license number. Call 911 and give info to the police, advising them the theft is in progress as you speak. Continue to watch unobserved.
    To exit your house and confront them is just asking for a shooting situation to develop. The trailer and ATV's can be replaced. A life can't.

I agree! The life lost could be yours and a trailer is not worth that or the court hassles if you shot one of them. (Depending on your state laws if charged.)

If I were living alone or with other capable, independent, like-minded adults, I would confront them from behind the shotgun in a 2nd story window. Tell them to get on the ground, the police are on the way.

If i had a family, kids, neighbors within likely shooting range.. etc I would call 911, turn on all the lights, break out the camera and the shotgun and sit tight. Let them know they've been made without confronting them or giving away your exact position.
    We are only as vulnerable as we are naive.

I live across Houston from Joe Horn. You really don't want to be caught doing that sort of thing around here......
    There are only two gates in the wall around my neighborhood. They both empty onto one street and you see each one from the other. If I see you in my driveway, you are not getting away. I can detain you or the deputies can meet you at the gate.
    If I go out my front door and take up a position at the corner of the house, you either have to get past me, or go over either a six foot fence or a six foot wall. The fences have brick walls beyond them. Nice back stops. As long as I watch my elevation I could pretty much blast away to my hearts content.

With so many possible variables it is impossible to say exactly what I would do, but I really don't think anybody I caught in my driveway would be smiling afterwards.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Same here on this response.
    Read my story.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ed-1994-a.html

Pictures in page 5 & 6

first i would call 911, then grab my camera and get clear shots of the people's faces, license plate, AND what was on the trailer, and your trailer plate.

in the real world, i would probably just sit tight, and take notes on whatever i saw.

online, i would be tempted to go outside and try to stop them.

but myself against 3 people of a similar build with no VISIBLE weapons.... not taking the chance. luckily i cant afford a boat or an ATV, or even a trailer to pretend i did have that stuff, so rite now its not much of a worry to me :P...
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

I personally don't own a dog due to living situation, but if I did it most def. absolutely be a Pit or Black lab, sure would be a shame if I accidentally let the lil guy out side as robbers were attempting to steal my stuff.

Seven.
    -Never insult a man you are not prepared to fight, and never fight a man you are not prepared to kill.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    I'd turn on all of my exterior lights, assuming they weren't already turnedon as I turn them on and double check they are on every night.

Next I'd grab the portable phone.

After that I'd dial 911 and as I'm talking with them I'd open wide the window shade/covering I'm observing them through so that they can clearly see me seeing them, and note that in my left hand is a phone that I'm speaking into while in my right is a firearm kept at the 'low ready' position.

I'm pretty sure that would be that and said persons would be on their way realizing that they've made a mistake and selected the wrong cave to visit.

- Janq
    I like Janq's answer.

I Don't do vicitm.

To sit by and be robbed is to be a victim. This is the same as getting a good description of a mugger while handing them your wallet; NO. In the very near future there are going to be a lot more criminals out there trying to find a way to make ends meet because of inflation and high unemployment. The police will be underfunded and over-stretched. There have already been police departments that have said they may be forced, just due to budget concerns, to make no response at all to non-violent crimes.

Is a piece of propterty worth someone's life? That is up to them. When I confront them from the house with the decision to retreat or continue with their felony in the face of deadly force it is their move. If they continue I have to assume they believe my stuff is worth their lives.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links