So I'm loading my Mossberg . . . .

This is a discussion on So I'm loading my Mossberg . . . . within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I'm loading my Mossberg in my bedroom that faces the street with the new ammo I bought from the gun-store when I hear the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So I'm loading my Mossberg . . . .

So I'm loading my Mossberg . . . .

So I'm loading my Mossberg in my bedroom that faces the street with the new ammo I bought from the gun-store when I hear the low rumbling of a tuned muffler. There is a red Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins <man grunt> driving sloooooowly by my house. I can see out through the blinds, but I know whoever it is can't see in. I sheep-stare for a minute and then think, "Man, did they pick the wrong time to mistake me for a victim". I keep my shotgun at the low-ready and observe. The pull away from my house, into the street, and commence backing up to my ATV trailer I have in my driveway. It is then that I recognize the truck as my friend's brothers. I put the shotgun back in its spot and walk outside. It is my friend's brother, who is gun-friendly, so I say, "Man-o-man you're takin your chances, I was in there loading up the shotgun". He laughs and then reveals to me that his sister was supposed to have called me to tell me that he's coming over. I help with the trailer, and off he goes.

So here's the scenario. You're loading your 20g shotgun in your bedroom, staggering #6 shot with rifled slugs when you see a red truck creep by your house, it stops, pulls into the street and backs up to your trailer, three male adults get out, and walk over to your trailer parked in your driveway, one of the males takes out a pair of bolt cutters and cuts off the lock on your trailer so he is free to hook up to it as he pleases. All of the males are of average build with no weapons obvious to you besides the bolt cutters. You have your pistol in your Smart Carry holster with a spare mag (mine was my Sig 226 .357SIG), a folding knife (Kershaw Blur) and your cell phone in your pocket. There are no other weapons accessible to you except for a Ruger 10/22 with 30 rounds of ammo loaded in mags upstairs.

Let me know what you would do, and I will tell you what I would do.

Action . . . .
    "People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people".
    -- V for Vendetta

NRA Associate Member

2. Remove Ads

bae
    Quote Originally Posted by NickEMT View Post
    Let me know what you would do, and I will tell you what I would do.
    I wouldn't be in that situation.

1 - I'd not use #6 shot alternated with slugs in a 20g. If I selected a shotgun at all, I'd use 00 buck.

2 - I live in a remote, rural area. Law enforcement response time is 30 min+. To get to my trailers, a miscreant would have to travel down a mile or so of private road, then a few hundred yards down my driveway, after defeating the gates.

3 - My state has very sensible laws concerning self defense.

I would load with 00 buck but they do not make it in 20g. I envy you being able to live rural :)
    "People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people".
    -- V for Vendetta

NRA Associate Member

bae
    I would load with 00 buck but they do not make it in 20g.
    I'm not a 20 gauge kinda guy(*), but don't they make decently performing #2 and #3 buckshot loads for the 20 gauge?

(*) I have nothing against the 20 gauge, I just don't want to have 12 gauge and 20 gauge ammo in the same household :-)

VIP Member
    Get good description of all 3 BG's, as well as the vehicle license number. Call 911 and give info to the police, advising them the theft is in progress as you speak. Continue to watch unobserved.
    To exit your house and confront them is just asking for a shooting situation to develop. The trailer and ATV's can be replaced. A life can't.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I'd turn on all of my exterior lights, assuming they weren't already turnedon as I turn them on and double check they are on every night.

Next I'd grab the portable phone.

After that I'd dial 911 and as I'm talking with them I'd open wide the window shade/covering I'm observing them through so that they can clearly see me seeing them, and note that in my left hand is a phone that I'm speaking into while in my right is a firearm kept at the 'low ready' position.

I'm pretty sure that would be that and said persons would be on their way realizing that they've made a mistake and selected the wrong cave to visit.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Get good description of all 3 BG's, as well as the vehicle license number. Call 911 and give info to the police, advising them the theft is in progress as you speak. Continue to watch unobserved.
    To exit your house and confront them is just asking for a shooting situation to develop. The trailer and ATV's can be replaced. A life can't.
    Excellent answer, I like it so well I'm gonna use it too

All you can do is be a good witness. Introducing a weapon to a theft like that could get you killed. Call 911, observe and report. Metro will get 'em ... eventually.

_
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

First off, yes they make #2 and #3 buckshot for a 20g but when I went to WalMart they didn't have any :(.

Second, as a property owner, don't we have the right to investigate crimes that are occurring on our property and ask the offending party to cease and desist? I am not asking to be a jerk, I really want to know.
    -- V for Vendetta

NRA Associate Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    To attempt to steal property is asking for a shooting situation to develop. As you state, a life can't be replaced. BGs should find another line of work.

How about--get description, plate numbers, call 911...while on the phone, walk outside and tell BGs to leave your stuff alone and that police are on their way....

What they do next...will determine your course of action.

If they drive off--you've got descriptions and plates

If they don't, they > you Use your best judgment, and if you have to, aim for COM.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I agree with archer51. That's the smartest thing to do.
    NRA Member
    Ret. LEO

VIP Member
    SIGguy,
    As much as it irks me to not take a response to stop them. Like you I live in VA. Going outside to confront them will be considered escalating the situation. ESPECIALLY here in Richmond and the NoVA area. VA does not have a Castle Doctrine, and I don't have the thousands of dollars to fight it through the court system.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

bae
    First off, yes they make #2 and #3 buckshot for a 20g but when I went to WalMart they didn't have any :(.
    Welcome to Ammunition To Go! seems to have a good variety in stock

Second, as a property owner, don't we have the right to investigate crimes that are occurring on our property and ask the offending party to cease and desist? I am not asking to be a jerk, I really want to know.
    The answer will vary from state to state. In my state, I'd be perfectly within my rights to go outside, and deal with the felony in progress.

My specific course of action: I'd have my wife cover me while she calls the neighbor down the road and has him block the road with his bulldozer. I'd go out and ask the trespassers *** they think they are up to, then depending on their answers, hold them until law enforcement arrived. Using "necessary force" if need be.

Pretty much what we did a couple years ago when someone was trying to steal my neighbor's portable corral.

VIP Member
    After I call 911 I hang up and call Joe Horn. He'd fix my problem for me... BANG... stop or BANG... I'll shoot.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

All I will say is, if I catch them, they are in trouble. Ain't nobody taking my stuff if I can stop them.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

In Texas during hours of darkness they just drove into a death chamber,we have the right to prevent a theft of property during the hours of darkness 1/2 hr after sunset to 1/2 hr before sunrise.legally I could just open a door or window and drop them,does that mean I would? I would rather call 911 and try to prevent the theft without using deadly force,if they escalate the situation and don't surrender that's on them
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links