Back Yard Bang

Back Yard Bang

This is a discussion on Back Yard Bang within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was working in my back yard on Saturday morning when I heard a very loud "bang". My first I thoughts were "gunshot, car backfire, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back Yard Bang

Back Yard Bang

I was working in my back yard on Saturday morning when I heard a very loud "bang". My first I thoughts were "gunshot, car backfire, then construction". I turn walk inside grab my cell phone off the table and put it in my pocket and then look out the front windows to the street. I don't see anyone or anything abnormal, but I hear another "bang".

Same thoughts,
    gunfire...surely not in my neighborhood,
    car backfire... I really don't even know what that sounds like,
    construction...yeah that's probably it.

I open the front door and instantly hear the unquestionable sound of a shotgun being pumped.

I could tell it was not far away, but I could also plainly see it was not in my yard or even in the street in front of my house.

I draw and half wrap a folded newspaper around my pistol and walk outside over to the edge of my house so I can peer around the corner and get a better look up the street in the direction of the noise. (My street only has 4 widely spaced houses on a dead-end and we all know each other reasonably well and are friendly).

I see my neighbor standing in his front yard wearing only a pair of boxer shorts and holding a shotgun. I think, what that heck is going on? I watch him walk around his yard for about a minute and I don't hear or see anyone else around so I call out to him, "Hey Jim, you okay?"

Granted I can see he doesn't seem mad/scared etc. but he does look concerned and him with a gun in his undies is not normal.

He turns around,(while keeping his one hand hold on the gun, and the gun pointed at the ground back toward his house). He can't see me, so I stick my head out a little and wave, and he says, "Yea, copper head".

I Step back behind the corner, laugh, holster my weapon and walk over. Apparently we was opening the door to let his dog out and the snake was laying on the front porch, so instead of opting for the shovel Jim gave it two rounds of bird shot. That is not the "normal" snake disposal method in the city.

I have heard guns being shot all my life, but it is always in the context of a shooting range or hunting. I was really surprised at myself for not recognizing the sound of a shotgun blast.

I do have one question, if you heard a "gunshot type" sound in the middle of the day what would you do?

I think you handled it well. I'm in a relatively rural area, and know all my neighbors. If I heard an apparent gunshot, I would also grab my cell phone, and very carefully investigate.

I'm glad all turned out ok for you.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Just what you did.

Stay Alert, Stay Alive. The world needs more Lerts.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

In my "neighborhood" gun shots are a regular thing. 500 feet min. between houses. I do not even flinch unless it sounds close enough to be coming from my yard.

Way Cool Bangs!

Id probably do very similar to what you did. Id want to know if there is a threat to my person or family.
    Now we just moved out to the country in a semi-rural neighborhood (10+ acre lots.)
    About a month after moving out here, I heard rifle shots. It was a .22 in regular intervals, as though it was at a firing range. Before I could determine the exact direction, it stopped.
    Next time I was at church, I saw my friend and Basic Pistol Safety instructor, and mentioned that it sounded like a neighbor was doing some target practice, and was thinking about finding out who they were, and finding out if they were doing it in a safe manner.
    He laughed. It was (is) his Dad, who has constructed a firing range with burms in his back yard. (I was wondering what those burms were for.)
    I am expecting a formal introduction shortly. That would put a private shooting range right in my back yard.
    Now thats cool!
    Its so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him, the Sheriff said.

elkhunter,

Inspecting some gun shots to find a neighbor had built his own firing range would be big surprise indeed. Good for you.

I caught an possum in my garbage can earlier this year. It would have quick and neat to dispatch him with some rat shot. However shooting a gun in my neighborhood will probably land you an jail. Needless to say he didn't depart so quickly.

+1 For not ratting on your neighbor for shooting vermin. :)

Back when I lived in town, I had to dispatch prairie dogs on two occasions.
    But I did it with my bow & arrow. (No bang with that method.)

That reminds me, Today starts rabbit season, & I have several in my yard, that require invitations to my freezer. (I deliver those invites with bow & Arrow too.)
    Its so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him, the Sheriff said.

If I heard a shot or two? Depending upon how close, I'd do nothing... In the neighborhood, oh well...next to my house, well, I'm already armed.

Shoot inside the city limits would certainly cause problems in the Gainesville area...the place is loaded with liberals.

My sidearm or shot gun is only going to be used to dispose of two-legged rats.

I probably would use my .38 with snake shot for a 'rattler'...don't want to get close enough to use a shovel or take a chance on my canine getting a venomous bite. In this case I worry about the neighbors calls later..."Errr, why yes I think I heard a car backfire on the other side of those woods."

Stay armed...use common sense...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Even after thousands of various calibers of guns being fired ,It can still be hard to differentiate if a loud bang is a gunshot or something else,If it's fairly close It may be easier to identify.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

In my old 'hood, I've heard them occasionally. Usually from inside and apartment or near the busy street. Usually followed by sirens. Once followed by LEO going door to door.
    In my new neighborhood, I've heard one gunshot. I was out walking the dog, and across the lake I saw a flash followed by a bang. It was someone exercising the Castle Doctrine... I beat feet inside.
    At my friend's apartment last year, we heard 12 gun shots followed by a pause, followed by 12 more, and the sound came thru the wall of his duplex. So we called the Police and waited. Neighbor found his wife in bed with not one but 2 guys. Snapped, grabbed his S&W and went to town. Police took our statement with times and number of shots, and how long the pause was (took the guy 10 seconds to reload) We asked the police what happened and they said "He came home to find his wife in bed with 2 men, grabbed his weapon and killed his wife." I asked about the 2 men... "He told them to leave"
    Last I heard the guy got probation and community service for it being a "crime of passion"

So when I hear a gunshot... I take note of the direction if possible, and don't poke my head out of the window or doors...

I suppose that dispatching a venomous snake or other dangerous animal would be an exception to any 'discharging firearms within city limits' laws.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Gun shots ring out all the time around where I live, I even hear full auto from time to time. I'll step out my back door and empty a mag from my EDC just to keep the faith. I think what you did with close neighbors was a good move.

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    Gun shots ring out all the time around where I live, I even hear full auto from time to time. I'll step out my back door and empty a mag from my EDC just to keep the faith. I think what you did with close neighbors was a good move.
    Dito with my Romy AK. I once did the "shave and a haircut" rhythm and heard someone finish the beat from what sounded like a mile or two away.. put a big grin on my face.

Although I live in a rural area, there are only two other people in hearing range that shoot, and they dont do it that often. Typically if it sounds close i'll swap out the Bersa 380 in favor of the Glock 19 & continue on with whatever i was doing.
    We are only as vulnerable as we are naive.

Personally, I live in a very rural area of Virginia, so hearing gunshots at most any time, day or night isn't all that unusual. I've contributed a few myself when the Raccoons were at the chicken coop or something. That's usually either 00 buck or .357 mag.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links