My Decision...Your Opinion - Page 2

My Decision...Your Opinion

This is a discussion on My Decision...Your Opinion within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You handled it just right. Think about the possibilities that a display of the weapon could have caused. What you did ensured your own safety ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Decision...Your Opinion

You handled it just right. Think about the possibilities that a display of the weapon could have caused. What you did ensured your own safety and didn't escalate into anything more serious. The guy was a jerk, but didn't cross the line into being a real danger to you. i think there is some pork in the bailout bill for bums and beggers, maybe he'll go away.

With an open window, be cautious about putting the car's gears into "park." That simply eliminates one of your greatest assets at moments like those: the ability to move that 3500 pound beast if needed.

Having driven a convertible car for years, I always kept the car ready to immediately move and continually maintained awareness of what was around me.

Data Point:

Once had a psychotic driver nearly exit his vehicle and come raging back to my car to do damage. To this day, I don't know what set him off, other than we all had just spent 10mins in a long, long line along a single-lane highway, with no ability to pass anyone. Once it opened up to multiple lanes, he roared forward to the ~#3 lane, where he slammed on his brakes to await the light. During the 2mins of waiting for the green light, he kept gesticulating and swearing, turning back to stare me down, angry as Hades. He was about 3 cars ahead of me.

Several points: (a) I was armed and prepared to use it if need required; (b) I was in the convertible with the top down, so life was risky at that moment; (c) I had the car in gear and ready to move; (d) I had ensured plenty of space between me and the cars ahead/around, in case of exactly this type of behavior from that man.

Long story short, he never did exit the car. Had he done so, I had a couple options from which to choose. The point is: don't willingly, blindly eliminate your available options, as that could make all the difference.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'm glad things went the way they did for you.

I'm new at this--I got my CCW about 3 months ago and carrying a weapon as a civilian never even entered my mind until a month before that.

That said, coming from a Military Police background, if I were in your situation I would have definately displayed my weapon because it is, in my mind, the next appropriate level of force necessary to rectify the situation--"show of force"--a weapon visible. I wouldn't have pointed it at him unless he didn't immediately back off upon seeing it, though.

I'm very surprised by the responses here--everyone looks at this differently than me so I think I may need some help here from you all.

*I also think that the possibility that displaying a gun may have made him think about trying this again; and may have saved someone else from an incident in the future caused by this guy.

Where is my major malfunction here??

Quote Originally Posted by MP45CDE View Post

Where is my major malfunction here??
    Your advocating displaying a weapon over rolling up a window. You cant just draw your pistol over a verbal confrontation.

I understand that but what about the physical advances? I'm physically disabled and I really don't want to have to be slammed first before I can legally defend myself. Am I just screwed? Do I have to wait until I get hit first and hope I can then defend myself with my weapon??

I understand that but what about the physical advances? I'm physically disabled and I really don't want to have to be slammed first before I can legally defend myself. Am I just screwed? Do I have to wait until I get hit first and hope I can then defend myself with my weapon??

different situations call for different options, i dont believe your choice is a wrong choice MP.
    If i were in the situation i would have had my weapon drawn in my hand beneath the window not visible. but lets say for example, my girlfriend was in the vehicle with me, or my mother, or anyone unarmed and not suited for self defense, the bum would have most likely gotten restrained until the police arrived, or had a .45 tracking his head.
    In the latter situation i would not wait to be attacked if he already displayed aggressive physical behavior. hopefully the threat of imminent death to him would halt the attack.
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

VIP Member
    First Sgt, Looks like you did everything. Only thing I would do different is rolling up the window, as others have already pointed out. Another thought though is carrying primary weapon in a ankle holster. While I might consider it for a BUG, I want my primary weapon where it is readily available, not somewhere that I have to bend over and pull up a pant leg to access it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler11B View Post
    . but lets say for example, my girlfriend was in the vehicle with me, or my mother, or anyone unarmed and not suited for self defense, the bum would have most likely gotten restrained until the police arrived, or had a .45 tracking his head.
    Your not the police , you cant run around acting like it. Explain to me how its justified to turn that verbal confrontation into a physical one. Aside with some castle doctrine situations the only reason do introduce leathal force is leathal threats....... Seriously ...... "Well officer I drew on him because he yelled at me through my car window" ? Or " I jumped out of my vehicle where I was perfectly safe and instead of just leaving and held him down till you got here because he yelled at me sheriff" ?

B52
    Good job! I have a huge can of Bear Pepper Spray for Tucson Bums. I had to spray one about a month ago because he put his dirty hand inside my SUV. My problem is I can't carry on the military base I work at...so the giant bottle of pepper spray is all I have during working hours. Bums these days are getting very aggressive. I was even in uniform BDU's when the d*** bag attempted to harrass me.

1) You were there, I was not; you had complete input of all data, I do not.
    2) In My Humble, you did exactly right.
    3) You had hardware in hand, and that was the right thing to do: in my professional experience, I've found someone that unstable and confrontational is very likely to resort to escalation of force including use of weapons.
    4) I find no fault in your actions, I applaud your level head, and I thank you for passing your experience along to us here. This one will very definitely go in the training file!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Cool

You did well.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by FISTER View Post
    Your not the police , you cant run around acting like it. Explain to me how its justified to turn that verbal confrontation into a physical one. ...... "Well officer I drew on him because he yelled at me through my car window" ?
    The first level of force, according to MP doctrine, is a show of force. It doesn't turn this situation into a physical one any more than the perp's provoking physical advances did. It is a deterrant to show that you're packing in this situation, IMHO.

But I'm really bothered that nobody else thinks this is the case. Someone please help out here me.

*What is the rule about a CCW being revealed--only when you're GOING to putt the trigger? Only when you MAY have to pull the trigger? Only when you May have to POINT IT at someone AND POSSIBLY PULL THE TRIGGER?

I'm asking because I don't know--someone please help!

MP, lots of other people with lots more experience than me will chime in here, but my understanding is you never draw your weapon unless you are in fear of your life. And at that point, you must be willing to shoot, or you don't draw at all.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

The first level of force, according to MP doctrine, is a show of force. It doesn't turn this situation into a physical one any more than the perp's provoking physical advances did. It is a deterrant to show that you're packing in this situation, IMHO. :
    I understand that , but your going to have to unlearn some stuff .... Your not an MP anymore.

*What is the rule about a CCW being revealed--only when you're GOING to putt the trigger? Only when you MAY have to pull the trigger? Only when you May have to POINT IT at someone AND POSSIBLY PULL THE TRIGGER?
    I'm asking because I don't know--someone please help! :redface :
    While it completely depends on the situation, your local laws, and even the responding officer.... there are moral implications as well. Do you really want to live in a society where everyone pulls a gun any time there is a confrontation?

Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post
    MP, lots of other people with lots more experience than me will chime in here, but my understanding is you never draw your weapon unless you are in fear of your life. And at that point, you must be willing to shoot, or you don't draw at all.
    I'm not happy with that answer because it means that I have to believe that the guy who intends to beat me to a pulp will wind up KILLING me, as opposed to just beating me senseless. Since I cannot predict the future, I must admit that I could live through the beatdown, which means that I cannot unholster my weapon and either prevent the beatdown or deter the guy from commencing the beatdown.

Is this what I have to live with??

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links