My Decision...Your Opinion

This is a discussion on My Decision...Your Opinion within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by FISTER I understand that , but your going to have to unlearn some stuff .... Your not an MP anymore. While it ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Decision...Your Opinion

Quote Originally Posted by FISTER View Post
    I understand that , but your going to have to unlearn some stuff .... Your not an MP anymore.

While it completely depends on the situation, your local laws, and even the responding officer.... there are moral implications as well. Do you really want to live in a society where everyone pulls a gun any time there is a confrontation?
    I knew that you'd remind me that I'm not an MP anymore. I guess I need to really think about that because I may be doing that, huh.

As far as living in a society where everyone pulls a gun--there's a quote by someone that says a society that packs is a polite society. So, yes, that's the society I want to live in--a polite, packing society!

2. Remove Ads

If that came off the wrong way , im sorry. But what I was trying to say is that the things in place that protect you from recourse in those situations as an MP arent availible to you anymore. To get the best answer for your questions you might want to check with local law enforcement. There is nothing wrong with not pulling the trigger if you suddenly do not need to after you draw. But in some cases it could be considered brandishing or disorderly conduct to draw if lethal force was not required.

i would never draw down on someone unless i felt my life or anothers life was in jeopardy, i will not sit back and let someone hit/shoot/stab me first, if i really feel that it was coming down to it, then its time for business. id rather deal with my local judge then deal with with St. Peter.
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

TOF
    If you wait till stabbed or shot to draw you are too late. Once the bum began to advance in an agressive manner I would have drawn and been ready because he would be a threat. Don't forget the 21 foot rule and if you don't know what it is get some training. If your window is up and the bum happens to draw a gun you are about to get a face full of glass. If you can't accelerate away drop your window so you don't get glass in your eyes.

I will not wait till my blood is running before I take actions to protect myself.

Other than not having the gun ready out of view but in hand the OP did well IMHO.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
    If you wait till stabbed or shot to draw you are too late. Once the bum began to advance in an agressive manner I would have drawn and been ready because he would be a threat. Don't forget the 21 foot rule and if you don't know what it is get some training. If your window is up and the bum happens to draw a gun you are about to get a face full of glass. If you can't accelerate away drop your window so you don't get glass in your eyes.

I will not wait till my blood is running before I take actions to protect myself.

Other than not having the gun ready out of view but in hand the OP did well IMHO.
    +1 on that my feelings exactly
    U/315
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
    So acting agressive is grounds for pulling a pistol on someone?

so you would rather them pull a gun or knife first, then react? given the aggressors choice of lifestyle and aggressive behavior, yes i believe he doesnt care to do harm, therefore i give it a greenlight to draw
    U/315
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor

Let's talk about the 21-foot Rule. I really didn't understand it the way it was described in CCW class. I heard the story and that we qualify at 21 ft because that was the farthest distance that someone could get you before you could get them with a CCW, but how does it relate to this situation, legally?

Using the 21-ft Rule, does this mean that when the aggressive bum got within/crossed the 21 feet line that we can Legally, and really should draw and set up a possibly-necessary shot? When applying the 21-ft Rule, this seems to be the reason for the 21 feet, right??

Help, please...

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    As a former police officer, I would say you acted correctly. Had you drawn and pointed your weapon at him, he could have probably charged you with aggravated assault. While his conduct and movements were threatening, your life was never actually in danger (the only time you should draw a weapon). I'll bet at most he was charged with simple assault, but more likely disorderly conduct or disturbing the peace. You're a good example for the CCW community.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

First SGT, I think you handled the situation correctly. Considering the aggressive physical actions of the subject, I may have drawn my pistol, yet have it out of sight and not presenting it since it was in an ankle holster. If he had gone nuts and drawn a knife, I imagine that it would have been very difficult to draw your pistol from the ankle holster fast enough to keep from getting cut.

Good job though.
    Owner/ Instructor
    Your Best Defense, LLC
    SC CWP training
    1st Aid & CPR training
    www.yourbestdefensesc.com

Sorry--I seem to be sidetracking your thread.

I just started another thread with my 21-Foot Rule questions regarding your scenario:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...tml#post862424

Great post and related to MP45CDE's recent post as well. You did very good in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by xgunslingerx View Post
    Sounds like you did the right thing to me. It's a wonder he didn't provoke the wrong person and get a good ole country ass whipping for his trouble.
    My thought exactly...
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

To answer a couple of questions, I was carrying ankle because of where I had been as well as the hot weather. There is no OC in South Carolina, so that was not a fallback. I did not have a long outer shirt on so couldn't holster. Perhaps that is what I need to do in the future in hot weather rather than ankle carry. with cooler weather coming on, I have a shoulder rig which I'm comfortable with and belt holster which I'm comfortable with. I also had a fallback weapon readily available with the lift of my center console hatch. I keep a .357 available at all times when I'm in my truck even if not carrying on person. I found it interesting, that although I experienced an elevated heartbeat/pulse due to the adrenal flow in the situation, I was able to maintain a calm level thought process. Good point about the 21 foot rule. Good Point about raising window. Good point about always leaving manuever distance for vehicle. Good point about pepper spray. This was the type input I needed to evaluate myself and my actions. The bottom line is preparation preparation preparation for common scenarios that are presented on here and in the news media. If you can mentally walk through a scenario and perhaps dry run the scenario, then hopefully it will continue to hone the "defensive senses" to a point where the options flash through your mind based on practice and you choose those best suited for your situation. I REALLY appreciate all the input...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

B52
    No OC in South Carolina...man that's a bummer. I am glad I live in Arizona pepper spray + illegal immigrant/dog/bum... = problem easily solved.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links