Not quite a scenario

Not quite a scenario

This is a discussion on Not quite a scenario within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; But - throwing this open for debate. Could there be any credence given to the oft heard statement - that the presence of a gun ...

Thread: Not quite a scenario

Assistant Administrator

Not quite a scenario

But - throwing this open for debate.

Could there be any credence given to the oft heard statement - that the presence of a gun in domestic disputes, is par excellence, a precursor to a more likely homicide???

Is therefore, putting this another way - a gun's availability just too darned convenient?

I have mixed thoughts on this - let's hear what you guys have to say.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Oh my...Thatís way to wide of a scenario for me to judge. I guess it depends on the individuals involved?

VIP Member
    I think it all comes down to temper and control. Some people are very passionate and hot tempered so I'm sure that anything that could be used against the other person will be used in some cases. If it's a baseball bat, a pan, a piece of wood or a gun. It won't matter. The prescence of the gun doesn't escalate the situation however, the people do that on their own.

-Scott-

Lead Moderator
    I would think that a gun in that situation would be no more or less convenient than anything else that could be used as a weapon, perhaps a knife or baseball bat.
    Last edited by rstickle; December 20th, 2005 at 11:11 AM.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Lead Moderator
    Alot has to depend on the individual. I imagine for most of us here, if not all, it wouldn't matter. I weapons are handy , and the individual has the will to use it, it matters little what the weapon is. Most folks have kitchen knives and cars readily avalible to em too.

Administrator

Of Course

If there is no firearm in the house then naturally folks do not ever get shot with it.
    That sounds perfectly logical.
    Then folks only get:
    Poisoned ~
    Clubbed over the head ~
    Stabbed ~
    Strangled ~
    Suffocated with a pillow ~
    Doused with gasoline & set ablaze while they are sleeping. ~
    Drowned in the Bath Tub with the Hair Dryer tossed in (for good measure)
    or....."run over" with the family car.

The most commonly used impliment in domestic homicide: The Kitchen/Steak knife. The number one cause of death, in America: Stupidity. ("Don't slap her/him....", she/he picked up a gun/knife; "I don't want to hurt her/him.....", don't get a gun/knife. Preceded only by, "Hey baby, hold my beer, an' watch this.....!")

Guns don't kill people, complacency and stupidty do.

Assistant Administrator
    Yep - we are pretty much on same page - I expected that and agree.

Did occur to me tho that in select cases - wrong person with gun handy - then this is a very rapid and immediate tool to employ if emotions flare beyond the safety zone. A knife or blunt intrument are needy of proximity to intended victim - not difficult in the home of course - but the gun is more remote - ''other side of room'' deal.

I doubt in majority of cases it will make a lot of difference to someone's desire to inflict injury but maybe just a small percentage it might.

That said I think the anti's make way too large a case out of this - suggesting that gun availability always means trouble - whether for ''domestics'' or suicides too.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

If you are the type of person that would resort to physical violence to resolve a dispute with your spousal unit a gun's presence is not going to alter that course of action one way or the other. I also have a feeling that most of those type of folks would not be able to legally aquire a firearm. They have a history and police record to prevent their being able to buy a gun in a legal manner. Most people don't go from zero to murder without a history building up to that final act.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    another thought is anyone who needs the " empowerment" of dominating another tends to do it in a more personal and physical way than just pulling a trigger , pulling a trigger doesnt seem to give them the satisfaction , howeaver it may give the dominated one a last ditch resolution to an immediate threat

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    A good friend of mine was recently arrested on domestic violence charges against his roommate on campus. Because there was an altercation, and because they both had marks on them, both parties were arrested. The fight as I understand it was over a DVD and not respecting personal space.

Anyway, among other things my friend does, is he always carries at least one knife, and like I do, often times more then one. He told me that while they were wrestling around on the ground, he got almost upset enough to pull his knife. But he didn't. Why? Because there would be consequences.

Even in the middle of a fight, he knew right from wrong, and having a knife right at hand didn't make one lick of difference.

I think that a gun would have the same effect, that is, would have NO effect, unless one of the poeple having the argument had a predetermination to use that weapon.

Just my lowly opinion :)
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle
    I would think that a gun in that situation would be no more or less convenient than anything else that could be used as a weapon, perhaps a knife or baseball bat.
    +1 To that

Links