A word of Caution this Halloween..

This is a discussion on A word of Caution this Halloween.. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just a reminder to all, it IS coming up on Halloween and has some potentially surprising implications to CHL holders. Last night i was visiting ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A word of Caution this Halloween..

Just a reminder to all, it IS coming up on Halloween and has some potentially surprising implications to CHL holders.

Last night i was visiting a friend outside of a small college town. I left after sunset and was walking a short ways to my car when i saw about 100 yards away a tall, athletic looking figure running down the sidewalk towards me, really making tracks, with a very intentional, slinking gait. I crossed around to the far side of the car as quickly as I could and put the contents of my hands (leftover pumpkin pie) on the car and got my weak hand on the butt of my SP101.

The guy crossed under one of the street lamps and I realize with a sickening lurch that he was wearing a mask and wielding what looked like a machete. At this point my thumb strap is popped and my pistol is halfway out of the holster and I'm getting to shouting commands to this guy when I notice two things.

1) There is a girl walking out of one of the sorority houses towards the sidewalk, about halfway between the masked man and myself and..

2) The man is wearing a shredded hoodie and an old hockey mask.. and the machete is plastic.

Needless to say the kid scared the living crap out of his girlfriend and i re-holstered my gun with no small amount of chagrin.

Just friendly reminder to all: KNOW THY TARGET

Tis the time of year when stupid people will be doing stupid, dangerous things, so just remember that if one day you're walking out to your car and Osama Bin Laden runs up to you with a big red suicide vest.. take the extra half a second to assess and don't give the anti's a big piece of ammo by blowing away some kid who's just being a jackass.

Have a safe Holloween!
    Attached Images
    We are only as vulnerable as we are naive.

To tell you the truth I could actually see some stupid kid thinking they would scare the crap out of somebody while his friends filmed it for youtube,that could possibly get shot by somebody thinking it was a real attack.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

It happens.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

halloween is definatly a bad time around here. point in example i saw 3 kids about an hour ago, walking down the road with bb guns. looked alot like 22's to me, definatly had a hand on my piece
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Halloween...a night the wife and I stay home for a number of reasons.
    Although we do hand out some treats to the local kids, we close up early and watch the 'hood'.

Stay armed...be careful...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I really hate Halloween and all it's become. No more superman & wonder woman like when I was a kid. Now it's gore & evil hideous stuff, starting in Sept. Don't go out and neither did my kids. Fortunate that I don't get any candy grubbers at the door, no neighbors. Don't need the stress too many fools/targets.

I remember several years ago a Japanese exchange student was shot and killed after he charged into some guy's garage with a mask, growling like an animal. His American friends told him holloween was for scaring people.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Bouquett View Post
    I remember several years ago a Japanese exchange student was shot and killed after he charged into some guy's garage with a mask, growling like an animal. His American friends told him holloween was for scaring people.

thats unfortunate, i hope im not put into a situation like that, do believe i have sufficient enough had to hand skills to stop a punk kid like that, but if worse comes to worse..........
    U/315
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Bouquett View Post
    I remember well that case. I think happened in Texas and the kid (with full make up and/or mask) was going to a party but got the wrong house. He made it all the way inside the family's garage with the homeowner aiming at him with a 44 mag and shouting to back off IRRC. When the kid was inside the garage, the homeowner fearing for his life and the life of his family shot him in the chest and killed him.

There was a huge outcry and the homeowner was charged with murder. I remember some anti-gun coalition bringing the kid's parents from Japan, giving heartfelt press conferences on how guns are bad and how they should be banned. The jury came back with a not-guilty verdict and the media went crazy.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I doubt that I will be involved in trick-or-treating, but regardless, any potential threats will be blasted with 200+ lumens of beautiful light for extreme identification, so further action can be decided upon.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

VIP Member
    Found the story... It was Louisiana

Yoshihiro Hattori - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryPower View Post
    I doubt that I will be involved in trick-or-treating, but regardless, any potential threats will be blasted with 200+ lumens of beautiful light for extreme identification, so further action can be decided upon.
    That's probably the **best** response & the light alone will cause enough pain to stop most anyone that may be "just playing".

The good thing is . . . you can use a light far enough away, that if they are not "just playing", you can still react as the situation dictates.
    Every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun. - Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    "In a later civil action (95 0144 (La.App. 1 Cir. 10/6/95), 662 So.2d 509), however, the court found Peairs liable to Hattori's parents for $650,000 damages,[4] which they used to establish two charitable funds in their son's name; one to fund U.S. high school students wishing to visit Japan, and one to fund organizations that lobby for gun control."

Read the whole story...everybody lost.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    "In a later civil action (95 0144 (La.App. 1 Cir. 10/6/95), 662 So.2d 509), however, the court found Peairs liable to Hattori's parents for $650,000 damages,[4] which they used to establish two charitable funds in their son's name; one to fund U.S. high school students wishing to visit Japan, and one to fund organizations that lobby for gun control."

Read the whole story...everybody lost.
    Such a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockk View Post
    Such a shame.

yep
    U/315
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links