Defending from animal attack

This is a discussion on Defending from animal attack within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I did not see this posted when I was reading the situations posted. For example my and I are taking a walk through our neighborhood ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defending from animal attack

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

Defending from animal attack

I did not see this posted when I was reading the situations posted.

For example my and I are taking a walk through our neighborhood and a rot or another large dog comes charging at us in a way that would make one think they were going to be attacked. Would I be justified in shooting that dog on the spot? Remember, this is a city neighborhood, me, average size male, son is 7 and I am unable to run and he would never be able to outrun a dog, plus running from a dog is never a good idea since they chase. This could be a pet of someone and it could be just excited and not a threat, but at this point we would not know the intent.

This is not something that has happend to us, but wanting some insight since there are several large breeds in our area.

2. Remove Ads

ive ran into that a few times, and actually bought some good potent pepper spray, one shot to the meanest dog will make him turn tail and run away, thats with my experiences on a mean pitbull though
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

I would go with the pepper spray first. There may be laws about discharging weapons in your neighborhood, and if you are shooting a moving dog in a neighborhood with other homes/people around, you would have to be POSITIVE about what's behind your target. If you were to (even accidently) hit an innocent bystander, that would be serious trouble.

Go with the non-lethal options first. Of course, if that didn't work, and you're life was still threatened, go to Plan B.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I would say that it would be an individual case. Holler a comand loudly while accessing firearm, if they stop and run away then no harm, if they actually attack then do what you need to. Most dogs are a lot of show, just protecting territory. Some dogs are not. A more dangerous scenario is when dogs start to pack up, even then a good shout may scatter them. I have had a lot of dogs false attack, have been only bitten twice. Once when on a bicycle by a Collie and I was able to get away, the other time by a Pekenese (ruined a good pair of Cowboy boots) but a good kick stopped that attack. all other times a loude shout made them stop.

You have to stand your ground but a shot of pepper spray will turn any dog i've seen. It's the owner screaming don't spray my dog thats often the real problem. Dogs often will never come for seconds.

Outside of a pack of angry, drooling canines heading for what obviously appears to be their next victim, I am not intimidated by a large barking dog.
    In my subdivision, the big dogs usually stay on the porch, or after a shout and an aggressive stance, go back to the porch.
    OC works for dogs that like to chase motorcycles...effectively, I might add.
    Shooting a dog is the last line of defense on my list. OMO

Stay armed...out think the canine...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Before shooting a dog that hasn't actually bitten you, I'd consult an attorney.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    Before shooting a dog that hasn't actually bitten you, I'd consult an attorney.
    Your own, or the dog's?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

For the most part, dogs are cowards. The initial intent of the dog is to frighten, and if successful, might then attack.
    The rare case is the dog that will attack anyway. Pit Bulls are usually the blame for that, but I observed that it's the little yappers that are most fearless. I think because they are stupid. (Tiny brains.)

Usually, a confident stance will give 'em pause to re-think.
    I personally choose to square off, and aggressively approach them while yelling. They ALWAYS backed down in my experience.
    In any case, NEVER let them think you are afraid of them.
    That's hard to do when you have children with you.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

i'd use a little OC on a dog first. i'd hate to have to shoot a dog, personally. unless it was chihuahua or something.

Although I live in the country, when I go walking I always take along my hiking staff. One of the ones I use is about 4 1/2' long, made form a sassafras tree. It aids me in walking and I've yet to see a dog, or a human that would continue approchaing me when I have it with me. It's a beautiful peice of wood and it is also a great conversation starter, as well as a great defensive weapon.

Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

One night, several years ago, I took my dachshund for a walk and a neighbor's rotwieller jumped the fence and started racing towards us, growling. When it got about ten feet away I shouted, "STOP RIGHT THERE, GET BACK HOME, GO HOME." That's exactly what it did. I'm not all that convinced the same tactic would stop all breeds but that rotty know right away to go back home.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    As I understand, firing onto a hard surface can cause riccochets. If it went through the dog first, I wouldn't be as concerned, but I am not confident in my ability to hit an attacking dog. I have heard that a good training exercise is to tie an empty milk jug to a rope, place it some distance from you, and run the rope past your ankles. Have someone else pull the rope so the jug moves towards you, and practice hitting it.

Based on the above, and the good advice from others, I'm in the 'OC' camp.

Quote Originally Posted by GT3326 View Post
    You have to stand your ground but a shot of pepper spray will turn any dog i've seen. It's the owner screaming don't spray my dog thats often the real problem. Dogs often will never come for seconds.
    Maybe you should spray the owner as well.....
    A veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable
    to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Author unknown

If you are going to take a walk pepper spay is good, me personally I would carry a big one with the pistol type grip they do make a holster for it also, not the small personal ones I want to be able to spray that dog.
    I did shoot a dog, when I would go for a walk or jogging I filled one mag full of Magsafes, It helped when I went to court, I was however fined $75.00 for discharging a firearm in a neigborhood. Later a guy shot a bank robber coming out of the bank, and they charged him the same fine but in the city limits.
    You do not think the 9mm is effective? Then let me shoot at you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links