1 vs. 5 downtown -- criticism/advice welcome

This is a discussion on 1 vs. 5 downtown -- criticism/advice welcome within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by jdowder Am I the only one who disagrees with the OP calling a member of the group a "retard"? "Retard" is a ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1 vs. 5 downtown -- criticism/advice welcome

Quote Originally Posted by jdowder View Post
    Am I the only one who disagrees with the OP calling a member of the group a "retard"?
    "Retard" is a bit challenging. "Back thy fornication off" with flat affect and genuine willingness to do harm generally conveys more information and less challenge- if one needs to say anything.

It isn't as much fun, but staying away from downtown is the most significant step that can be taken in ensuring your (and your SO's) well-being.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Risque007 View Post

Hmm, doesn't my age show on here? Guys, I'm 20 years old, still a few month away from the big 2-1, so I can't legally carry a handgun. I know -- better judged by twelve than carried by six -- but the legal ramifications for me if I ever had to use a handgun (under-aged, no CCW) would be extreme.

That's a good reason not to have had a gun! Don't even think about carrying without the proper permit. You might want to consider some OC......along with the knife it's a bit of a force multiplier that could definitely have helped if they'd have decided to push it.

My .02 Glad it all worked out nonetheless!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I think you did well but I would have called 911 after to report it so they could be looking for those punks.

me
    Do I think Retard, or confrontational language, was the right choice? No not really.
    Would I have used a similar or stronger word, specifically cursing? Most Likely.

Most of these punks understand harsh language with a harsh tone better then other wording. I jokingly call it Fire Fighter Language for me, I dont curse much anymore but if it is what i think will show my sincerity then I will. I have F bombed Chiefs at fire scene when i needed to throw them out of the building it telling them nicely did not work. The second time they asked I would have used such language as well.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    "Back thy fornication off" with flat affect and genuine willingness to do harm generally conveys more information and less challenge- if one needs to say anything.
    I love that one! Would love to see the look of confusment it might cause.

Michael

Next time, close the distance between you and the leader and put the knife against his throat and calmly tell him that regardless of what happens, you will have company pleading your case to St. Peter and Jesus Christ; more than likely you will see his resolve deflate quickly......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    Next time, close the distance between you and the leader and put the knife against his throat and calmly tell him that regardless of what happens, you will have company pleading your case to St. Peter and Jesus Christ; more than likely you will see his resolve deflate quickly......
    Or you could say "Why so serious?"

You'd be losing if they were serious since if they were, you probably would have been shot.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixxxer View Post
    Or you could say "Why so serious?"
    Oh I am loving that one, lol.
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

Tell GF to stand at the door to the club until you pull up out front. Stay on the phone with her if necessary. Double park for 15 seconds while she comes out to the car, drive her right to her car. Follow her home. No gun. No knife. No 5 on 1.

IMO you did 3 things wrong.

1. Your not 21 :)
    2. You let someone get behind you and possibly escalated the situation by using insulting language.
    3. Didnt notify the police.

:)
    "...trying to get a long gun into play while someone is all over you like a monkey eating a cupcake is not very conducive to good survival techniques." ~Bark'n

jfl

Thumbs up

The result is what counts ...
    Like someone else said you got out of it unharmed. So you did good.
    I don't think that going over what you could have done differently is of much relevance, because the odds that you will find yourself in the same exact situation are "slim to none"
    My $.02
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan M. View Post
    Tell GF to stand at the door to the club until you pull up out front. Stay on the phone with her if necessary. Double park for 15 seconds while she comes out to the car, drive her right to her car. Follow her home. No gun. No knife. No 5 on 1.
    Best solution! DUH its so easy but I didn't think of it - Huh

Quote Originally Posted by jdowder View Post
    Am I the only one who disagrees with the OP calling a member of the group a "retard"?
    I have to second this. I made the mistake a few weeks ago of "challenging the ego" of a 4:1 fisticuff i was involved in. I had been drinking some and therefore wasn't carrying anything but my little 3 3/4" open-assist kershaw. I didn't draw it, but one of the guys ran up swinging. Luckily the other three were smart enough to scatter when i swung back... and accurately. I strongly advise against the use of derogatory remarks, as it only serves to aggravate the situation; but don't be a **** sheep.
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says, "Go Away" in every language.

Fast is fine, accuracy is final. Learn to be slow in a hurry.

"I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links