Bangers in the gun shop - Page 2

Bangers in the gun shop

This is a discussion on Bangers in the gun shop within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SixBravo +1 to Zundfolge on this one. Really. I think playing the race card on this one is a little weak. Its ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bangers in the gun shop

Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    +1 to Zundfolge on this one. Really. I think playing the race card on this one is a little weak. Its like saying that profiling doesn't work.
    Six, I never said anything about race. I dont look at people like that. my statement was questioning the looks and attitude and apparrel of the alleged "bangers". And please realize that prejudice does not only refer to color of skin.

Quote Originally Posted by jeephipwr View Post
    Threats come from everywhere and dont always look as you stereotype. While you focus on the "banger", "biker", or homeless guy, the fellow in the business casual cuts your throat. You have to be aware of diversions as well.
    That was my point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by usmcj View Post
    more aware does NOT equal intimidated........
    True, it doesn't. Would you argue that people become more aware as their comfort level is disturbed? Say maybe through intimidation?

the way i see it i have the right to piss off whoever, or hurt someones feelings by stereotyping a certain individual. Everyone i see on a daily basis i see as a potential threat be it an elderly lady or a young punk. I think you made good by staying alert in your situation, but the way i see it is if someone is dressed in that attire my defenses will be on alert, because thats how the world really is. im not racist by anymeans but i see how things really are in the world, not saying anyone here doesnt. just my .02
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

A MA-legal glock sold for $200 ? I know who the thief is in that transaction................

Any gang banger worth his salt could have done better on the street.

Per Major99;
    " crime and shootings come from black guys in urban gear as well as white guys in Brooks Brothers suits"

Actually,if you watch the news,you'll see that the guys in Brooks Brothers suits steal a HELL OF A LOT more than the "bangers" and they don't even have to use a gun.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

It may help to inject some more info, was trying to keep post short. Gun shop was in Hartford Ct. area. Transaction seemed legitimate,and so is the shop, there was paper work and a call made with serial number spoken into the phone. It "looked" like a G17 not sure. Banger "types" pants down around knees, Raiders jackets, bling etc. Try not to stereyotype anyone, could have been GG but my spider senses where tingling. Don't know the law about bringing a weapon into a store to sell, dose one need a permit for that?

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I'd have to agree with the OP one this one. While I consider everyone a threat, I pay special attention to these stereotypes. Is that profiling? You betcha. I am a white, polite, well-groomed, well-dressed, and well-spoken young man. Profile me.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryPower View Post
    I'd have to agree with the OP one this one. While I consider everyone a threat, I pay special attention to these stereotypes. Is that profiling? You betcha. I am a white, polite, well-groomed, well-dressed, and well-spoken young man. Profile me.
    well put
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

I had something like that happen to me the other day over at Hoffman's in Berlin in their new store. I was checking out some ammo and two pretty big hispanic guys came in wife beaters and tattoes a blazing speaking only spanish, loudly. Hoffman's now has what looked like about 10 employees working their at the time and you could tell their SA kicked in and they were on alert, but I think being in Berlin and near so many other of the "less favorable" towns they must be getting used to that kind of stuff. I mean, Black, White, PR, whatever, even if they have baggy pants, 24" rims, and gold teeth, they have a right to defend there families too, right? I know a few who are the "gangbanger" LOOKING and TALKING (ebonics) type but actually work 9-5 and are drug free/crime free. Just their lifestyle choice. Profiling is a pretty hotly debated topic so I won't even comment on it. Just putting in my 2 cents

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    We live in a sterotyping society...plain and simple. Whether Disney denying tattoos or the military with ear rings...we all harbor some sterotyping in one way or another. The OP had concerns...good enough for me. He is here to talk about it.

Rick

Whew iam not even commenting on this one, but it was a good thread to read
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryPower View Post
    Profiled or not you are just as much of a threat as anyone on this forum. you do carry a weapon of some sort right? This is my point!!! It is human nature to be wary of things or people not like you. The difference between us is that I have tattoos that cannot be covered easily and I dont know your interpretation of "well Dressed". If you mean clean and neat ,then we are not that much different but i am seen as more of a threat than you due to my choice of hobbies and friends. Seems silly is all.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    If you dont wanna be stereotyped as a "banger" then dont look and/or act like one. Simple enough.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    ... I moved to a location behind a display where I could watch and have cover if needed. I'm armed with a M&P40c in a MTAC thought about pulling my shirt out of pants to untuck but did not... any thoughts?
    The only thing I'd do in the gun shop I frequent in this case would be to get out of the way of any crossfire should something go down. Got guys OCing on both sides of the shop.

I am a hispanic and get stereotyped all the time. Oh wait, the new catch phrase is profiled. I get profiled all the time. So what, thats life, once they get to talk to me. Well groomed, well dressed, I am 57 so the grey hair helps, and speak better English than any gringo with no accent, well versed with a master's degree everyone relaxes and the ethnic background doesn't matter at all. I always tell my boys, you have to look better, dress better and act better than others because you start out with a mark against you from your ethnicity. Not a bad thing it happens all the time. American ex-patriots meet up with that all the time, its life. My youngest dresses with the crack of his a** showing, the bling and hat sideways. If he weren't my son I would be leary of him also. Bottom line is to go into a gun shop and pull a gun out of a pocket is not a good idea. I have gone to gun shops to get my gun reblued, cleaned and I also had a new slide put on one. When I go in, the gun is in a case locked or I tell the clerk what I want and let him know I will be getting the gun from the car. Then I go outside and bring the gun with the mag removed and the slide drawn or in a case. I got profiled about 10 years ago in a small gun shop because I was looking to get my beretta cleaned professionally. I made the mistake of drawing it from my pocket and had several guns pointing at me from all sides. The owner apologized and said I should have brought it in a case. Point well taken and hence have not made that mistake again. I don't want someone to be hurt because they didn't want to hurt someone else's feelings by profiling them. I have gone to airports and have been profiled, taken out of line and strip searched. Arabs (no insult intented here) with turbans behind me were let go through. I would have preferred that they hurt the other guys feelings too and search them also. Profiling has always existed. All men have prejudices that manifest themselves in different ways. It is in my opinion unnatural to deny those feelings and replace them with hypocricy that does no one any good. The only people I have seen that have taken offense to profiling are the ones that are not profiled. They feel they have to show their nobleness by protecting those of us that are profiled. Well, my character is my badge and once we get past the name and race all is well.
    "Government is not reason and it is not eloquence. It is force! Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action."

George Washington

Henryher, as i have proven, i could not have said it better.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links