Bangers in the gun shop

This is a discussion on Bangers in the gun shop within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have this addiction of gun shop browsing. I hit about four or five different stores on a rotation to hide the seriousness of my ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bangers in the gun shop

Bangers in the gun shop

I have this addiction of gun shop browsing. I hit about four or five different stores on a rotation to hide the seriousness of my condition from the clerks that work there. Today I was again surfing the glass pistol counter at one of the stores I hadn't hit in a few weeks. While eyeballing up all the "must gets" three gang banger types walk in. I moved to a location behind a display where I could watch and have cover if needed. I'm armed with a M&P40c in a MTAC thought about pulling my shirt out of pants to untuck but did not. The three shop workers are all OC-ing and they were on alert. One of the bangers pulled what looked like a Glock 17 and put it on the counter, wanting to sell it. At the end of the transaction I saw $200 in cash exchange hands and the three concerns left. I don't like to judge people, it's not the 1st time I've seen questionable types doing business in gun shops. I just feel uncomfortable with that whole scene, and it ruins my counter surfing fix. Just needed to rant, any thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

Stay armed...be VERY alert...stay safe!

Sounds like you were...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Are you calling them "bangers" due to the way they were dressed or attitude, or something else? Just out of curiosity, What would be your response or judgment if I ,with a few of my friends, BTW all of us bikers and CCers, walked into that same shop? Tattoos displayed with old worn leather jackets, long hair, and the whole Hollywood stereotype. Let me also tell you that we ALL have families and work full time jobs and are homeowners. Kinda kicks the crap out of the stereotype huh? I dont argue the point of being alert, however, I do argue the point of "taking cover" just in case. crime and shootings come from black guys in urban gear as well as white guys in Brooks Brothers suits and vice versa. Those 3 " bangers " are most likely just like you in the fact that they believe in protecting themselves and their family. Dont judge a book by it cover....

Quote Originally Posted by major99 View Post
    Are you calling them "bangers" due to the way theey were dressed or attitude, or something else?

Dude pulled a G17 out of his pants and accepted $200 for it.

Seriously. You're gonna pull the "can't judge a book by its cover" bit on this one?

crime and shootings come from black guys in urban gear as well as white guys in Brooks Brothers suits and vice versa.
    Really? Just as many Brooks Brothers suit wearing violent criminals as "black guys in urban gear"?

I agree that racism and prejudice are bad things, but lets not throw reality out the window here.

Oh and JAT40, stop going to that gun shop ... they're buying hot guns from gangbangers ... no good can come of it.

What would be your response or judgement if I ,with a few of my friends, BTW all of us bikers and CCers, walked into that same shop?
    My response would be to judge you all a potential threat until I was convinced otherwise by your actions or conversation. I have no problem at all profiling to protect myself or family. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, It just may be a duck. If you don't want to be stereotyped, don't dress like a stereotype.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Well if you saw a Cash deal go down for a handgun with no paperwork in MA then I will recant my statement. with that said, if you were a gun shop owner in the most un-gun-friendly state in the northeast, would you doa cash deal over the counter in front of other cusomers? I'm calling Bravo Sierra on this one.

So doesnt it qualify as being a sheep if you just fit in and succumb to what society believes is the norm in order to be seen as "safe"?

You don't have to succumb to anything. By the same token I don't have to succumb to ignoring my situational awareness, just to preserve someone elses definition of the "norm".

Some of my toys....

Honestly, if I were in the same situation I would certainly observe what was going on and act accordingly. At a younger age I would not have given it another thought, but now it's different. I carry and because of that realizing the ramifications of unholstering a weapon I am so much aware of my surroundings. I avoid things that are different or don't seem right. I have too much involved in my life to do otherwise.

You don't mention that they were rude or threatening so it sounds like you saw some people go into a gun shop and lawfully go about their business.

Still, it is good to be alert.

Quote Originally Posted by usmcj View Post
    You don't have to succumb to anything. By the same token I don't have to succumb to ignoring my situational awareness, just to preserve someone elses definition of the "norm".
    if you read my original response, I clearly stated that i didnt disagree with his situational awareness , I did , however disagree with the stereotyping. I might not have been so clear in stating that EVERYONE is a potential threat and that by singling out the "bangers" as the op so prejudicely stated it, he may very well have underestimated the threat of the vanilla looking guy in the corner "looking at holsters" while he was preparing to attempt a robbery.

I think in this situation that the guys OCing in the store would probably defuse a situation before it began. You seem to be forgetting that he was in a gun shop. you would have to be a moron to try to rob a gun shop banger, biker , or executive notwithstanding.

I already stated that i think this story is BS due to some key points, but opinions are like butt holes, everyone has one and they are never the same. It is also possible that i am a little jaded due to the fact that i grew up with those "bangers" and am less intimidated by them as most people are.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    +1 to Zundfolge on this one. Really. I think playing the race card on this one is a little weak. Its like saying that profiling doesn't work. Doesn't mean its right. But just because it isn't right doesn't mean it doesn't work. Hell, what percentage of this country thinks that carrying a gun every day is 'wrong' like profiling?

For what its worth, good call. And yeah, I'd not go back there either. You never know.. that next gun you buy from there might have been a trade-in or used in something you would rather not have had it. Sure, that can happen with any shop but the owners and operaters owe it to their customers to keep things on the level.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

more aware does NOT equal intimidated........

Some of my toys....

Threats come from everywhere and dont always look as you stereotype. While you focus on the "banger", "biker", or homeless guy, the fellow in the business casual cuts your throat. You have to be aware of diversions as well.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Did their vehicle have twenty-fohs and two sub-woffers?

Seriously, you did well to trust your SA. Profiling may keep you alive! You don't have to appease anyone's sense of "fairness." I've never read where a BG cared a hoot about anyone's sense of "fairness."
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I'm thinking I would have offered him $225!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links