Rest Area Scenario

This is a discussion on Rest Area Scenario within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Youíre in a rest area with your family resting for just a few minís. Your kids are in the back seat asleep and your wife ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rest Area Scenario

Rest Area Scenario

Youíre in a rest area with your family resting for just a few minís. Your kids are in the back seat asleep and your wife is also asleep. You are worn out from the long trip and itís around 1AM.
    Youíre dozing off as you hear a vehicle park behind you, then a few minís later one parks in front of you, not enough room to drive off.
    Itís obvious that the people in the vehicles know each other by the laughter and the carrying on, from what you can make out you hear someone say, letís break into this car and take their money.
    As youíre trying to get your thoughts together the back window shatters and your kids start screaming and your wife wants to run out of the car.
    You donít know if they are armed, what would you do in this situation besides not parking in a rest area?

FOXNews.com - Illinois Truck Driver Suspected in Series of Rest Stop Killings - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
    Read my story.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ed-1994-a.html

Pictures in page 5 & 6

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Throw car in reverse and slam the people behind me then try to push it out of the way enough to drive out of there
    ďYou can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.Ē

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Throw car in reverse and slam the people behind me then try to push it out of the way enough to drive out of there
    I'm with you on this, I also thought the same thing.
    Read my story.

Pictures in page 5 & 6

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    You don't know whether they're armed or not, but it's safe to assume (to quote Dirty Harry) "they ain't collecting for the Red Cross!" Escape isn't an option and your family's safety is at stake. My first reaction is to shoot and take my chances with a jury. At least I'd be alive to testify.

BTW - I read your post re the carjacking in '94 when it first appeared. I just saw the photos. You are a lucky man indeed! You weren't meant to go Home that day - your purpose in life is yet to come! Stay safe!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

but at what point do you throw it in reverse? when you hear them wanting to rob you or at the moment you hear the back window shatter?

Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    You don't know whether they're armed or not, but it's safe to assume (to quote Dirty Harry) "they ain't collecting for the Red Cross!" Escape isn't an option and your family's safety is at stake. My first reaction is to shoot and take my chances with a jury. At least I'd be alive to testify.

BTW - I read your post re the carjacking in '94 when it first appeared. I just saw the photos. You are a lucky man indeed! You weren't meant to go Home that day - your purpose in life is yet to come! Stay safe!
    Thanks Sniper58.
    Read my story.

Pictures in page 5 & 6

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TRICKORMATE View Post
    but at what point do you throw it in reverse? when you hear them wanting to rob you or at the moment you hear the back window shatter?
    As soon as I can, before the window breaks if possible
    ďYou can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.Ē

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I could not have said it better. If force, or deadly force, is called for, your car may indeed be the best weapon in a situation like this.

I still rememebr the video from L.A. after the Rodney King verdict--people being dragged out of their cars and assaulted. In that situation, there were frequently people standing in front of or behind the car to keep the driver from leaving. Had that been me, I hope that I would have had the presence of mind to use them as speed bumps.

TOF
    Quote Originally Posted by TRICKORMATE View Post
    After I fill one hand with my pistol. The size of their vehicle may prevent me from pushing enough space to escape.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Great post and because of several robbery homicides committed in rest areas I will not park and rest there,I usually gas up at station and ask the clerk if I can park on the lot and catch a little sleep,they usually have no problem and when i go to sleep i cuddle up with my 45
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Giggling and smart ass comments do not warrant throwing your car in reverse and taking the offense. What if there were a kid between the cars? Now YOU'RE the one in the silver handcuffs. If you've put yourself in a parked position where it is that easy to completely block you in, you are not in a defensive mindset to begin with. If you're drifting off to sleep, especially with your children in the car, in an environment like a public rest stop, you're not in a defensive mindset. If you are placing yourself in harms way, then try to make up for your mistakes by initiating violence before it has come to you, you've become the criminal.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    If you're drifting off to sleep, especially with your children in the car, in an environment like a public rest stop, you're not in a defensive mindset.
    Well put.

This scenario screams "LACK OF SITUATIONAL AWARENESS" but if, somehow, you got into that situation...
    Gun comes out as soon as violence is initiated (when the glass breaks). If time and space allow, use the 4,000-pound weapon you're driving. Burn some rubber and push them, their cars, whatever, out of the way. Jockey back if you have to do that to be able to squeeze past the car in front of or behind you.

If someone pulls a weapon, deal with that as best as possible, but remember, firing a handgun inside a vehicle will likely result in hearing damage for all those inside.

Getting out of the car seems like a bad idea - you and your family could easily be surrounded, there would be no good cover available from the flanks, etc... However, if you're truly "pinned in" and can't move the car, then sitting around inside the car waiting to get shot is a bad strategy. In that case, try to get the family to cover as quickly as possible while providing covering fire as appropriate (only if you're still being attacked, obviously).

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

That's what I would do also. If you ram the car in front, you may damage your engine enough it will not run. Here comes a kicker though....say you are in a small car and both of the blocking vehicles are large SUV's and you have a disparity of force of let's say 3000 lbs of vehicle. What then? When things go down, things go fast. Although tired and worn and maybe half asleep, I'd try to park under a light, and maybe diagonally instead parallel if available. You could always go forward over a curb. Sometimes it's difficult to assess a scenario, or the possibilities up front. If at all possible, forget rest areas, and get off at exits with fuel stops and towns in the middle of the night where law enforcement is closer and there are activities almost 24 hours a day at a Waffle House, or the truck stop or local fuel station/quicky mart. Rest areas should be off limits and plan your trip around not getting into this situation if at all possible. We all know they've seemed to become magnets for some of the low-lifes in society, and a lot of times perverts. I've had my experiences at rest areas before. I may very well relate one of my stories....but in due time. Good post though.

I have to agree with Pete and others here, but as for the falling asleep part, that can be averted. When I was a kid, my folks used to take us on road trips and they would change off sleeping on long trips so that kind of situation couldn't happen. Just a thought. Have your wife sleep during the day and set a time or distance limit at which you would swap or wife drives while you sleep during the day and then swap and you cover the night.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

First of the all, the Rhodesian would alert someone who is too close. If someone attempts to block me in, not just a bad driver, someone is going to need some body work...and then they are going to have to get an estimate for car repairs, also.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

first off I try and avoid the more desolate ones, secondly I never park where I can be blocked in, and thirdly I only stop long enough for the wife to do her business, and lastly I am always in condition yellow when on a trip, I do not even sleep sound at night, N that is SOP.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links