Man accidentally walks into a house and gets shot.

This is a discussion on Man accidentally walks into a house and gets shot. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Man Accidentally Walks Into Wrong House During Blackout, Shot Twice - Orlando News Story - WKMG Orlando This guy better get a good lawyer....

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Man accidentally walks into a house and gets shot.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it" - Jeff Cooper

Who needs a lawyer?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

From what I read, he has been cleared.
    Read my story.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ed-1994-a.html

Pictures in page 5 & 6

That's a bad deal for sure.

So how do you not know your own home...even in the dark where the duplexes look alike? Even little geographically dis-inclined me can find my way home in the dark....."accidently" wandered into the wrong home...yea, right.

His door has two locks...a primary door handle lock and a secondary much more secure deadbolt.
    How did his door come to just swing open upon some "banging"?
    Was it even locked? If not then well I don't know man...

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Moderator
    I don't know about this. Apparently the shooter, did not identify the threat. Perhaps one of those that believe a flashlight will give away your position?

Second thing is purportedly an LEO said he would not be charged because he had a right to protect his property. So Florida has a law that says you can shoot someone to protect your property?

I wonder if that law actually says you have the right to defend yourself in your home?
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    "(Deguzman) said he was in his house and somebody started banging and the next thing he knows, the guy is standing in his house and he got his gun..."

It's a good shoot. What's a home invasion? Accidentally walking/breaking into the wrong house?

I'd like to see more details of the case, but based on the story, the dude got justifiably ventilated.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I don't know about this. Apparently the shooter, did not identify the threat. Perhaps one of those that believe a flashlight will give away your position?

Second thing is purportedly an LEO said he would not be charged because he had a right to protect his property. So Florida has a law that says you can shoot someone to protect your property?

I wonder if that law actually says you have the right to defend yourself in your home?

I think he gave bad info. Fl has the castle doctrine law. The guy who did the shooting was in his 'castle'meaning no duty to retreat. I think that is what the cop was trying to say but chose some poor words. The castle doctrine also extends to vehicles but only if your in them. You can't shoot someone for trying to steal your car.
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Senior Moderator
    For all we know, the guy could have been in a panic looking for a child, bangs on the door of a neighbor's apartment, the door opens, in spite of door locks I might add, and the owner doesn't identify the threat, doesn't care who he is or whether he is a threat or not and shoots him. And that's the precedent for a good shoot?

I'd readily agree that he shouldn't be charged, but a good shoot - no. Basically what happened, based on very sketchy details a man shot someone without identifying whether it was a teen, a pregnant mother, a neighbor, etc.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock30SF View Post
    I think he gave bad info. Fl has the castle doctrine law. The guy who did the shooting was in his 'castle'meaning no duty to retreat. I think that is what the cop was trying to say but chose some poor words. The castle doctrine also extends to vehicles but only if your in them. You can't shoot someone for trying to steal your car.
    Yep - exactly what I think.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I had a guy at my door one night cursing and yelling for 5 minutes who was at the wrong house. He almost got shot too. If the door would have opened, he would have. He thought I was his buddy messing with him. Those things happen.

Looks like a good shoot to me. Most duplexes I have have the doors seperated. No way to "walk into the wrong house" Unless you planned to. Your in my house during a blackout and I did not invite you...Not gonna be your best day!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    For all we know, the guy could have been in a panic looking for a child, bangs on the door of a neighbor's apartment, the door opens, in spite of door locks I might add, and the owner doesn't identify the threat, doesn't care who he is or whether he is a threat or not and shoots him. And that's the precedent for a good shoot?

I'd readily agree that he shouldn't be charged, but a good shoot - no. Basically what happened, based on very sketchy details a man shot someone without identifying whether it was a teen, a pregnant mother, a neighbor, etc.

Doesn't matter if the person was any of the above. You enter someplace you are not suppose to be, you do not announce yourself, you stand the chance of being shot.
    I do not live in a state with a castle doctrine, but you enter my house at night, unannounced, without permission, I'm shooting. Will I be charged in the shooting, possibly. Can I justify it as legally defending myself, yes.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

You gotta be kidding me! He walked into the wrong house!! Yup and I'm having Sarah Palin over for dinner tunite!!!! If he thought it was his house, just why was he "banging on the door" to get in? I think if I were put in that situation, was awakened by someone banging on my door and coming into my house, I'm afraid I would have challenged ONE time and if I didn't get the correct reply - bang bang!!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links