When I was younger..

This is a discussion on When I was younger.. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I always enjoy reading other stories on here and thought I'd post a strange experiance I had when I was younger. This happened right after ...

Thread: When I was younger..

When I was younger..

I always enjoy reading other stories on here and thought I'd post a strange experiance I had when I was younger.

This happened right after I graduated high school and just started going to Community College about 8 years ago.

Around 10:30a.m. I'm home alone and sitting on the family computer when I hear a car pull up in front of the house. It was a beat up looking stationwagon colored in "classic" primer gray. I looked outside wondering who in the world could be. Next thing I know a guy jumps out of his car and starts running towards my front door. He procedes to start banging on my front door and yelled out "I'M GOING TO PUNCH THIS GUY RIGHT IN THE FACE!".

I'm thinking WTH is going on. I grab my dad's H&K USP40 and tuck it in the back of my jeans. I opened the door and he is standing over by my truck. I stayed pretty calm and asked what he wanted..

He acts all hyped up and starts to tell me I just tried to run him over a few blocks away while talking about a mile a minute like he is either on something or his adrenaline was just pumping. (keep in mind I've been home all morning). I explain to him that I've been home all day and it must of been someone else. He procedes to tell me how he "chased him" to my street and then starts to feel on the exhaust on my truck to see if its hot. At this point I told him to leave and if he has a problem then he can call the police. After which he does call the police and says he will meet them at the "scene of the crime" down the block.

Thats the last I heard about it.

A mistake I can easily note is that I probably shouldn't of answered the door and just called the police immediately.

One thing I will say is I remember is how comfortable it made me knowing I had the Pistol and that I could defend myself if need be.

Anyways, I know not too terribly exciting but thanks for reading. :)

2. Remove Ads

Why did you open the door?

Quote Originally Posted by ruertar View Post
    Why did you open the door?
    Not a good reason but I was shocked and angry. I immediately started thinking "What if I wasn't home and my sister or mom was home alone?" So I wanted to "confront the threat" if you will so he wouldn't come back.

What if the BG, would had shot you or knifed you at the moment your opening the door or kicked the door the same time your opening it? I understand he was standing by your truck but it's better to call the LEO's.
    Read my story.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ed-1994-a.html

Pictures in page 5 & 6

Yeah, just call the police next time also.

Another thing I've thought about after wanting to get my CHP was that I couldn't be lulled into a sense of comfort because I can defend myself.

You need to realize that going to a lower threat level because you have a gun, and thinking, well I have a gun, I can relax a bit is the wrong attitude. Keep in mind a threat that is unarmed, making you 'relax' cause you have the gun, could suddenly turn around and be armed.

Stay on your toes! Even armed!

Quote Originally Posted by LiveLFF View Post
    Yeah, just call the police next time also.

Another thing I've thought about after wanting to get my CHP was that I couldn't be lulled into a sense of comfort because I can defend myself.

You need to realize that going to a lower threat level because you have a gun, and thinking, well I have a gun, I can relax a bit is the wrong attitude. Keep in mind a threat that is unarmed, making you 'relax' cause you have the gun, could suddenly turn around and be armed.

Stay on your toes! Even armed
    !
    Good Advice.
    Read my story.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ed-1994-a.html

Pictures in page 5 & 6

I would have called 911 to tell them that someone 'appears' to be trying to either break into or steal my car...and they are here right now. Please hurry!

Stay armed...stay in the house...stay safe!
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; October 10th, 2008 at 06:50 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Strangely enough, a similar situation (in Oklahoma as well) happened to me while sitting home w/wife one night. It was about midnight, we were watching a movie. We heard the most gosh awful commotion in front of our house. Eased the curtains back, and parked in front of my house was a customized van and a four door family type car, facing each other, headlights on, about a two car length separation between the two, and approximately 10 folks standing around in the headlights screaming and yelling at each other. I grabbed the phone and called the police. About the time I hung up, four of the guys threw down in the headlights and were just beating the heck out of each other. I had walked to the bedroom and fetched my lil "sawed off double barrel 20 gauge", just to have a comfort factor near. I ease the curtains back again, and about that time a boy and two girls start beating on my front door screaming and yelling "let us in we need to use the phone so we can call the police". I had the night latch on, turned the front porch light on, and opened the front door and laid the double barrell on the night latch chain facing toward them. Their eyes got quite big and they stepped back. I informed them I had already called the police, they were enroute, and advised them to step off my porch and ease on back to the street to their vehicle. The police arrived quite quickly. Three squad cars, six LEO's. The fellas were still fighting when they pulled up. The scene was quickly secured by the LEO's. They had everyone up against the sides of vehicles and across hood. Two paddy wagons arrived in short order and they loaded ALL of them up. Then two wreckers showed up, hooked the Van and the car and in about an hour my street was about as quiet as it had ever been. Certainly was quite a show while it lasted. I give the LEO's props for dispatching so quickly, taking care of business, and moving on out...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

As already stated you don't eliminate the barrier between you and the bad guy. Caliing 911 right away and notifying everyone else in the family to take appropriate action, and try and keep an eye on what they idiot is doing and relaying this info to dispatch.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    We recently installed metal security "screen" doors. We can see out, but it is difficult to see in from the outside. Being metal with dual locks it permits us to open the wooden door without compromising our security.

Regards,
    Jerry

Links