Situation I faced over the summer

This is a discussion on Situation I faced over the summer within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Over the summer my son was visiting his mother who lives out of state. I came over to my fathers house, like I do most ...

Thread: Situation I faced over the summer

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

Situation I faced over the summer

Over the summer my son was visiting his mother who lives out of state. I came over to my fathers house, like I do most days since it is only a few minute drive from my own. Note, I do not have a CCW yet nor did I at the time have a weapon. This is a quiet neighborhood, one my father has lived in since 1969 and one that in the past few years has seen its share of people selling to slumloards and now most people living here are renting, most on section 8.

So I walked out to go to my car, I was going to head home from the evening. I heard some people down the street arguing, it looked from my vantage point, about 50 yards or more away that a group of people were attacking one guy, and I could not stand there to a watch that, As I am walking that direction (note, not running, I am not aiming to fight if I dont have to) I hear someone yell "go get my gun" at that point, I change my mind about going down that way and call 911 and see all these people jump into a car and speed off. I was not sure if the guy in the car was the one being jumped or the one getting the gun or if he was an agressor, but I gave the police the description of the car, and followed it, giving the disptacher the direction of travel and number of people inside and such. The car made several turns, through the allys and I stayed a distance but behind. Finally after about 2 minutes, the car pulled back in my dads neighborhood, and stopped, I drove on by and went into an ally where i could observe. The police swarmed into the neighborhood, about 8 of them, all lights, including the k-9. The guy in the car took off running right after the first officer drove by his location, so I told the disptacher since I was still on the phone. They got that guy, and the rest of the ones in his car and detained them for about 20 minutes. The guy was a registered tier 2 sex offender and was with a girl that was underage, which was against his parole. After they delt with these guys, 5 of then 8 units went back on patrol leaving just 3 here, and they all grabbed shotguns and started walking down the street. they draw that guy out at gunpoint, speak to him and all go on their merry way, no arrest.

The kicker, the guy that was down the street was the victim, he was arguing with the sex offender about him hanging out with HIS daughter. The sex offender and his pals jumped the father and the father is the one that yelled to grab a gun, which he keeps for HD.

So reading that, what would you have done in this situation, how could I have handeled it differently? Over all I felt pretty good, but after reading alot of post here, I wonder.
    Last edited by justherenow; October 12th, 2008 at 01:27 PM. Reason: correct spelling mistake

2. Remove Ads

I would've got my ass in my car and drove away. Walking and bringing yourselve into a situation that you know nothing about is not a good idea. Risking death or jail time for a stranger, who could've been the aggressor in the first place doesn't sound appealing to me.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I don't know where to begin. Sounds like curiousity got the best of you... walking towards an unknown group, following the car etc. (sounds like a movie/TV). I sure don't go looking for a fight...and especially unarmed and unknown territory (since it has changed so). You want my advice...think defense, not offense. Not one thing I would recommend you did except call 911.

Rick

This is the reason I posted, to get feedback. I surly do not go looking for trouble, but I can't watch 5 on one either. Following them was at a distance, but may not have been a good idea in hindsight.

Yeh, I'd have called 911 and let them sort it out. I'd be worried the group figured out you are tied to your Dad's house and cause him trouble in the future. Just a thought.

At the time that is not something I thought about. My SA was not to high, I have raised it up quite a bit since coming to these boards.

Quote Originally Posted by mantis View Post
    Yeh, I'd have called 911 and let them sort it out. I'd be worried the group figured out you are tied to your Dad's house and cause him trouble in the future. Just a thought.

Interesting situation. Had the gun actually been produced, and had you been ccwing, I wonder how this would have gone down. Turns out in this case the person trying to get the gun is the victim, not the attacker. I wonder whether 5 on 1 would have been justified as a sd shooting, and had it been a justified shooting, what would you have done coming up on the situation not fully knowing what was going on? Stepping into a situation that you know nothing about is a bad idea, especially if it is near your home or the home of a loved one. They see you coming from someones house, they now know where you live and can come back. I also think that sitting in the alley so you can observe is a bad idea. When police swarm a neighborhood to handle a situation it is best to get as far away as possible so they can do their job. No matter how far away you are from what is happening, if a cop sees a person sitting in theor car in an alley watching what is going on, well they don't know who or what you are. Now they have to watch you too to be sure you aren't part of what is happening. Best bet, tell 911 where they can find you if they need you and clear the area.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

A neighborhood full of dirtbags? First thing on my 'to do' list is...MOVE!
    OK, now that we have that covered...

After that...dirtbags arguing down the street? I head inside and call 911...let the cops handle it...there is no way you'll be a winner here.

Stay armed...disappear...stay safe!
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; October 12th, 2008 at 04:36 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Call 911,be a good witness and hopefully arm yourself.Don't ever play cop by walking into a situation you know nothing about,now if theres an old man getting stomped bu a buncha thugs thelaws in Texas allow me to intervene in a 3rd partys behalf,and I may use force to stop the attack and hold them til police arrive.EVERY SITUATION IS UNIQUE AND HARD TO PREDICT WHAT YOU WOULD DO,remember the decision you make can either cost you your life or a possible criminal or civil charge,know your state laws
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Very good points and very well taken. The victim of this assult was in his late 40's and is disableld, was out numbered. Honestly I cannot say I would have jumped in, but wanted to see what was going on and to get help there. Our town is medium size, about 50k residents, and usually our PD is very quick at responding, this is one of the fastest and biggest responses I have seen for such a call.

Note: for the most part, although alot of rentals and section 8 on here, MOST of the people are working class middle class people not alot of issues here. Most of the issues are the teens that like to go breaking into cars for spare change.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    5 on 1, all unarmed, is just wrong regardless of which side the majority is on. If you didn't help, I wonder what the news story would be the next day. And everyone would be thinking, "What is this world coming to? Why didn't somebody help?". I would have gotten close, while talking to 911. I'd yell and try to get as many people watching as possible. If I could see that somebody was about to get seriously hurt, I would tell them to stop, and what happens next, I would just have to deal with.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    A neighborhood full of dirtbags? First thing on my 'to do' list is...MOVE!
    OK, now that we have that covered...

After that...dirtbags arguing down the street? I head inside and call 911...let the cops handle it...there is no way you'll be a winner here.

Stay armed...disappear...stay safe!

good answer!
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

Links