Local homicide

Local homicide

This is a discussion on Local homicide within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Had a call from a buddy living in Portage PA - it is about 40 minutes from me - and it's basically North of Johnstown. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Local homicide

Assistant Administrator

Local homicide

Had a call from a buddy living in Portage PA - it is about 40 minutes from me - and it's basically North of Johnstown. Small place and similar area to mine.

Local gun club, 5.30am, caretaker goes in to stoke furnace for the day - a regular event.

Trouble was, there were folks there - possibly it seems planning a break-in or drug deals - not sure yet. The guy it seems foolishly goes on in to parking lot all the way and goes to do his thing.

Gets shot and killed for his troubles - 4 shots COM it seems. Very dead quickly. Seems they have perps already. I am waiting for a link from my buddy once he knows it is on the web news. Currently Channel 6 covering it but cant get that channel.

Our thinking right now is - he should not have gone in all the way - he was probably in con' white - he was not armed. More likely, at that time of day he should have gotten the heck away immediately and called in to the cops.

Very sad just 2 days before Xmas. He has 5 kids and some grandkids. He was 62 I believe.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Ex Member Array HollowpointHank's Avatar
    That is absolutly awful!! Why in the world would BG pick a gun club; makes no sense as well the shooting. Unbelievable sadness for his family. Our prayers are with them.

Assistant Administrator
    Hank - AFAIK right now - it could just have been a quiet parking lot for a deal.

I will post any link on this when I get it - tomorrow maybe.
    Chris - P95

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    That just stinks.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Seems my post disappered

Im sorry for the guys Family but he should have known better

Lead Moderator
    Geez, it's like it never ends any more. Just makes you wonder........

Sure hope they get the ****bags that did this.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Assistant Administrator
    Rick - I think they have the perp's - two at least and apparently my buddy said the shooter was probably a guy not three houses from his - geez - never know who you are near to!

I mean heck - this is small town PA here - semi rural etc.
    Chris - P95

Assistant Administrator
    First report thru - tho I don't think too much info yet. Seems Chuck (victim) was younger than we thought - 50's.

Plus first reports not (as ever) too reliable. Here tho is the link and write-up - and sadly they have NOT as we thought, got anyone arrested as yet. My Buddy said there were 15 State cop cruisers up there all day!

http://www.wjactv.com/news/5632384/detail.html

Cambria County Man Murdered; Suspect On The Loose

POSTED: 9:09 p.m. EST December 23, 2005

Portage Township -- The big question is what happened to Chuck Cummings Sr.? The Pennsylvania State Police are still searching for the answer. As of Friday night, they have no suspects.

State Police and friends of Chuck say he was on his way to work Friday morning in Fishertown when he stopped at the Portage Revolver and Pistol Club just down the street from his home. He was a member and a life long mechanic. He was going to check the heating system which he does every morning. He pulled his car into the parking lot and the next thing anyone knows, State Police say, At 5:30 [Friday] morning we got a call at the State Police Barracks relative to shots fired in Portage Township.

Police say a neighbor hears them and comes out to see what is happening. He finds Chuck, by his car, shot to death several times. A reconstruction team was brought in. All day Friday State Police investigate the crime scene, checking out Chucks car and getting fingerprints. What happened? State Police dont know yet. They tell Channel 6 News, Weve used ariel photography so far in this investigation. We had the helicopter from the State Police come out and use ariel photography.

The State Police are also bringing a tracking dog into their investigation. They say no one was in the club Friday morning so whatever happened to Chuck happened in the parking lot.

Club members tell Channel 6 News that Chuck was a family man who loved to help the community. They were at the scene all day Friday watching the State Police work, helping in the investigation, and remembering their friend. Theyre still in shock over what happened to Chuck.

Ned Moore is one of the club members. He tells Channel 6 News, [I feel] as low as Ive ever felt. It is very painful for all of us, the members, and the community in general. Were really going to miss Charlie a lot. Charlie couldnt help anyone enough. If he meets you the first thing he would say What can I do for you? Is there something I can do for you?

Chuck helped everyone he could and had a special love for children. His family fostered several kids. His friends stared off to where Chuck died Friday remembering how he lived.

Moore says, For a lot of years we used to go camping, fishing and hunting together. He loved to eat. He was a big strong guy. Chuck will never die in our memories or in our hearts. We know he wont be here anymore and that will be the hardest thing.

His friends believe Chuck drove up to something drug related. To whoever shot him, Moore says, How could you stoop so low? How could someone who could do this thing breathe in this world? I dont know. I have no words to describe people like that.

Chuck Cummings Sr. leaves behind a large family with a number of children. If you have any information about this case Ebensburg State Police ask that you call them at 814-471-6500.

Chris - P95

Senior Moderator
    Not to make light of a terrible situation, but Chuck must have been a tough old bird. Having to be "...shot to death several times" is quite something - I doubt it would have taken more than once for most of us.

Seriously, though, I hope they get the scumbags that did this post haste, offer them a speedy and scrupulously fair trial, and then a nice comfy lethal injection.

Matt

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    I mean heck - this is small town PA here - semi rural etc.
    Chris, That (as you know) isn't much of a defense anymore.

Actually, I guess it never was. I can remember my Father telling me about a PA State Trooper being shot and killed on the dirt road that went by his house...... This was in the 1920' in Rose Point, PA. the place had a population of maybe 25...... If you counted the chickens and cows!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Administrator

Terrible Story

Going about the Daily Routine can cause folks to get extremely complacent. That complacency may have contributed to the creation of this story with a very tragic ending. My condolences to the family.

People, that is sad, but people in our world today can watch the news and see the damage that these scumbags are doing each and everyday and they don't think it will ever happend to them. Then when it does its too late to prepare. Wake up sheeple, this is not Kansas any more. You have so much going on too fast. Thus, unemployment, illegal immigrants, storm survivors and low economy and the prisons letting crooks out because they are over crowded.

This is simply a recipe for problems. For example we had a local lady get pistol whipped in a library parking lot for no reason. She gave the guy the truck and purse, but she refused to go with him and he beat her. I don't know. All I can say is if your environment seems odd make adjustment. For example if I am at Wally World and see some dudes busting into a car from a distance I go back inside and call the cops. The guy must have thought that it is not my business, so I will just do my thing and leave not so. Another story, a lady is at a local bus stop and the BG robs her. She gives him the purse and he leaves her a slug in the leg. Wake sheep, the wolf is bearing teeth.

:evil2:
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

VIP Member
    How sad and seemingly senseless. One instructor said you must be prepared to kill everyone you meet. Who knows when or where some BG will try to hurt you. As was said, we must vary our routine life and keep the warrior mindset.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Assistant Administrator
    Gardner - had hoped for more info by now - but I guess Xmas has slowed down reporting. If'n I get another news byte later I'll post it.

Main thing I wanna hear is perps caught!
    Chris - P95

Assistant Administrator
    Still not much useful update news - but this was today -

http://www.wjactv.com/news/5666435/detail.html

Latest On Chuck Cummings Sr. Murder Investigation

POSTED: 6:27 p.m. EST December 26, 2005

Portage Township -- Ebensburg State Police say while they have no suspects yet in the Chuck Cummings Sr. murder case theyre getting a number of tips called in. This case stumps State Police because, from what they tell us, there is a big hole in this case from the time Chuck Cummings Sr. pulled his car into the clubs lot to when the shots were heard and a neighbor found him. Evidence collected Friday is now at the Greensburg crime lab. The big questions in this case are what happened? Why Chuck Cummings Sr.? Why now?

The community is also pitching in to find his killer.

Ned Moore is Chucks friend and club member. He tells the shooter, "Don't let me get you. You can't understand the heartache you've created by doing this. Turn yourself into the State Police as soon as you can."

Moore and the other club members know the State Police are doing what they can. They hope collecting a reward will help. It is sponsored by the Portage Coalition of Sportsman, an organization of 5 area clubs. Since Friday it has raised $4,000. Donations have come in from all over the community.

Moore says, "We can't let somebody come into our town and do this to one of our citizens. It has to be stopped and we're going to do everything we can to stop it."

Moore and the other members still believe Chuck drove up to something drug related. They say their club has lost a valuable member, a hard worker, family man and best friend to everyone. Monday afternoon the community says good-bye while many give for the cause of justice.

Moore says, "We've had checks, cash. They're coming in quickly. Everyone said it could've been anyone in town. It could've been any of our children or anyone else."

If you have any information on this case call the Ebensburg State Police at 814-471-6500.

If you would like to donate to the reward you can call the Portage Revolver and Pistol Club at 814-726-3322.

Chris - P95

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links