Hostage situation

Hostage situation

This is a discussion on Hostage situation within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So we've all seen hostage situations in movies, where the bad guy has a gun pointed to somebody's head What would you do in this ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hostage situation

Hostage situation

So we've all seen hostage situations in movies, where the bad guy has a gun pointed to somebody's head

What would you do in this situation ?

Say it happens in your home, and the only ones home are you and somebody else (wife, husband, daughter, son, etc)

You can't call the cops because the guy has a gun pointed to their head and he says something like 'move and i'll blow her away'

What would you do ? What you try to talk him down unarmed, or would have your gun pointed at him and try to talk him down.

Try to get a shot off ?

have the gun up trying to calm him down, as soon as he looks in another direction or takes his mind off the situation for a second, drop the hammer and put one in the medulla.

in all reality my previous decision probably wouldnt come into play due to high emotional stress of the situation, and the fact that ive never been in a hostage situation. i would say in all reality i would try my best to talk him down and give him what he wants to calm him down, then when/if he drops his guard put one between his eyes
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Quote Originally Posted by Shrugs View Post
    What would you do ? What you try to talk him down unarmed, or would have your gun pointed at him and try to talk him down.

Try to get a shot off ?
    Too many variables to say exactly what I would do...obviously if the opportunity presents itself, the guy is getting shot in the face. Any talking/negotiating is going to be done with the intent of creating an opportunity to kill him.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

VIP Member
    Depends on the situation. If my gun is holstered, it stays that way unless I see there is no alternative to a shooting situation. Try to talk the BG into taking what he wants and leaving. One wrong move on your part the hostage is dead.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Not something I ever want to deal with.

1. I am confident enough in my abilities and the accuracy of my baby to pop the BG in the melon.

2. Shoot the hostage in the leg, hope I miss the artery, deal with the fall out later. (anybody remember the movie Speed?)

3. Try to convince the guy that we can not identify him, take what he wants and hit the road.

4. Draw, aim, "She dies, you die. I'm not real worried about it, I could use the life insurance policy money. Drop the gun and walk away." deal with the fall out later.

Now given that the number of BGs taking people hostage and executing them is becoming more common, this is a tough one. I am certainly in fear of the hostages life, and my life to let this one slide. I am not a profiler so I really can't know for sure what the BGs intentions are. It all depends on the demands. One thing, well two things are for sure, I get the opportunity for a clear shot, I am taking it ASAP, and the BG is not taking my/the hostage with them.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

AEA
    Once I saw his gun, mine would be out and ready to shoot. At that range, I feel confident I could take him out with a head shot.

A lot of variables here...how did this come about and what does he want. If my sidearm is out it would be pointed at the dirtbag while I am slowly taking aim and talking about how he WILL get what he wants...this is a shot I wouldn't miss...this dirtbag is getting shot in the face...

Awful situation to be in...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Be cautious with all the head shot mumbo jumbo; it probably isnt the best place to make your CNS hit, you dont want any muscle contraction... think long and hard about that answer, its real life, not hollywood.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'm not gonna disarm myself, then nothin stops him from killing both of you in both likelihood.

Try to talk them down, sure. It's a bad situation no matter what.

Unless you can get the firearm not pointed at your loved one, and a clean shot at the same time, it probably won't have a happy ending.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

The picture doesn't indicate his temper/demeanor. That said, I have a sortof rule that if he aims the gun at me I shoot. If he shoots the hostage, I shoot. If he tries to escape with the hostage (assuming the hostage is my wife or one of my kids), I shoot and hope like heck it works out. HE DOES NOT LEAVE with a family member. Of course, it's easy enough to say while sitting at a desk with a green tea in my non-typing hand.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    That said, I have a sortof rule that if he aims the gun at me I shoot. If he shoots the hostage, I shoot. If he tries to escape with the hostage (assuming the hostage is my wife or one of my kids), I shoot and hope like heck it works out. HE DOES NOT LEAVE with a family member.
    +1

Anyway you look at this it's just a bad situation all around. I think if your gun is pointed at him he would be less likely to shoot anyone because he knows that he'll get shot.
    NRA Member

If his gun is pointed at a loved one's head and I am still holstered I am going to try and convince the guy to take me instead, then deal with it as it happens. If I am already drawn and I see an opening, depending on how much of him is exposed, I may take the shot. With this picture I'm gonna try to hit his shoulder or side first and immediately go for a kill shot, and pray he doesn't get a shot off.

I then have a suspicion I may soil myself shortly afterwards.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

First diplomacy, Will Rogers diplomacy.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.

What cupcake said is the rules. A lot of talking till then. I also like the idea as the picture presents the scenario of taking the shoulder shot on the gun hand before the head shot.

Crappy situation to be in. Thinking about it ahead of time always helps. If the first time you every think of it is when it happens, your at a greater disadvantage.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Ask yourself this question........If the bad guy had you as a hostage....would you rather someone (your spouse or someone you may not even know) take the shot or would you rather go with the BG and take your chances.......for me take the shot....
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Give the wife the code word to "pick up your feet". When she does she will drop quickly since he will not be able to hold her weight. A sshe goes down, He gets shot in the face

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links